Too many wingers?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
markill

Re: Too many wingers?

Post by markill »

Southern Softy wrote:Smart idea about Dom. He's a 'big beast' and could do very well at centre.
His strengths are in his running game, he's great at busting through tackles, although he is also adept at getting an offload away on contact. I'm not sure what his passing game is like. Defence would be the other area of question mark. But there's no reason not to give it a go, once fit, in say the reserves and see how it plays out.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

markill wrote:
Southern Softy wrote:Smart idea about Dom. He's a 'big beast' and could do very well at centre.
His strengths are in his running game, he's great at busting through tackles, although he is also adept at getting an offload away on contact. I'm not sure what his passing game is like. Defence would be the other area of question mark. But there's no reason not to give it a go, once fit, in say the reserves and see how it plays out.
He’s pretty much head down and I’ve not seen much evidence of a passing game but then Ryan Atkins has cut a career as a superleague centre :D

I suggested it very much as a ‘strike centre’ option. A player you’d use almost as an extra winger to just bulldoze his way over in the way that a player like Jake Webster does for Cas. He wouldn’t be sending his winger away for 20 try’s a season but with a ball player like Sam at fullback he’s capable of making up for that lack of service anyway.

Nothing ventured nothing gained I suppose. We’d clearly want to see him get through a few games on the wing first before trying it.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

We probably do have too many wingers, and if one has to go, everything points to it being Liam Marshall, but I would be very sad to see him leave. He looks to me to be the fastest we have, has the best footwork, and is arguably the best finisher.
pedro

Post by pedro »

he was a loose when he was younger so may have good hands?
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

moto748 wrote:We probably do have too many wingers, and if one has to go, everything points to it being Liam Marshall, but I would be very sad to see him leave. He looks to me to be the fastest we have, has the best footwork, and is arguably the best finisher.
Maybe we could try Marshall in the 2nd row
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

moto748 wrote:We probably do have too many wingers, and if one has to go, everything points to it being Liam Marshall, but I would be very sad to see him leave. He looks to me to be the fastest we have, has the best footwork, and is arguably the best finisher.
If he's the fastest, has the best footwork and is the best finisher why would everything point to him going? Those are three pretty top attributes for winger.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

DaveO wrote:
If he's the fastest, has the best footwork and is the best finisher why would everything point to him going? Those are three pretty top attributes for winger.
Wanes checklist for any player

1. Kills it in the gym
2. Works hard
3. Kills it in the gym
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
pedro

Post by pedro »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:
DaveO wrote:
Wanes checklist for any player

1. Kills it in the gym
2. Works hard
3. Kills it in the gym
:wink:
moto748

Post by moto748 »

DaveO wrote:
No need to be disingenuous, Dave; I'm sure you know the answer to that. Or do you disagree?