Too many wingers?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
morley pie eater

Too many wingers?

Post by morley pie eater »

First congratulations to all our players called up for England and England Knights.

Tom Davies's selection is well deserved, especially considering his age and limited experience. His all-round performances have been so good that it's easy to forget that it's less than a year since he made his debut.

When all 4 of our wingers are fit, surely we won't be able to hold on to them under SC?

Budgie looks to be regaining his spark - one impressive run against Widnes and a high ball taken cleanly under some pressure on our own line stand out for me.

Marshall could be overlooked because of his tendency to make mistakes, but he seems to be cutting these down. His speed and elusive running are attributes that can't be coached. But will Budgie, Manfredi and Davies win out for their size and therefore ability to do the hard yards that seem to be a requirement of a modern winger.

What would you do? And why?
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Too many wingers?

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I think Dom is going to really struggle to find form again after 2 years out - i hope im wrong but time waits for no man.

Tom Davies is a very good winger in the making, marshall has speed to burn and must be one of the fastest lads in the league.

Budgie for me still needs to do a lot more to regain his form, if he does he is the whole package as a winger but i expect him to flit off again to the NRL given the chance
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Josie's friend

Post by Josie's friend »

Imo Dom offers nothing more than Davies or Marshall, if anything Davies is the best out of the three. None of them are close to the finished article or even at Budgie's level (in form anyway) so if we lose Manfredi & Marshall we'd be fine.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

I personally think dom has been a big miss.......out of our 4 wingers hes not the fastest but hes still pretty quick......thinking back though hes the strongest, best defensive, strongest runner, best finisher, best side step, best hands and , imo, the best of the bunch.......hes also outplayed ryan hall( on more than one occasion)....i just think people forget how good some players are/where........ if he does recover 100%, i wonder if oppinions will change?
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
ian b

Post by ian b »

Firestarter wrote:I personally think dom has been a big miss.......out of our 4 wingers hes not the fastest but hes still pretty quick......thinking back though hes the strongest, best defensive, strongest runner, best finisher, best side step, best hands and , imo, the best of the bunch.......hes also outplayed ryan hall( on more than one occasion)....i just think people forget how good some players are/where........ if he does recover 100%, i wonder if oppinions will change?
i think Manfredi is a class act personally and really missed
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

I think some fans are setting themselves up for disappointment re Manfredi hoping he will come back better than before
Josie's friend

Post by Josie's friend »

Firestarter wrote:I personally think dom has been a big miss.......out of our 4 wingers hes not the fastest but hes still pretty quick......thinking back though hes the strongest, best defensive, strongest runner, best finisher, best side step, best hands and , imo, the best of the bunch.......hes also outplayed ryan hall( on more than one occasion)....i just think people forget how good some players are/where........ if he does recover 100%, i wonder if oppinions will change?
Everyone sees things differently but imo his first reaction is to cut inside missing opportunities to run wide and through gaps, position-wise he is shocking leaving us weak on his side (gets targeted by opposing sides as a weak point). Attack-wise if he gets going he is as you said a strong runner and a good finisher.
Davies is better defensively and just as good attack-wise, Marshall like Dom is defensively and position-wise sub standard.

Given the option i'd get Josh back and release Dom & Marshall (we don't seem to like selling players)
ian b

Post by ian b »

medlocke wrote:I think some fans are setting themselves up for disappointment re Manfredi hoping he will come back better than before
same was said about S Tomkins
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

ian b wrote:
medlocke wrote:I think some fans are setting themselves up for disappointment re Manfredi hoping he will come back better than before
But Sam hasn't come back better than he was before, he's not even close, though some fans are hailing Sams try from last week as the return of the king when really it isn't
ian b

Post by ian b »

medlocke wrote:
ian b wrote:
But Sam hasn't come back better than he was before, he's not even close, though some fans are hailing Sams try from last week as the return of the king when really it isn't
he will get better its down to confidence i reckon