Navarrete: Why I decided to return to Wigan Warriors

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Navarrete: Why I decided to return to Wigan Warriors

Post by josie andrews »

Romain Navarrete has revealed what triggered the revival of his Wigan career – a Test match in Perth.

The French prop cut short his debut campaign with the Warriors last year to return to former club Catalans because he was homesick. Many expected him to stay in his home country but he came back for pre-season training in January and, after impressing Shaun Wane with his attitude, made his first appearance of the season in last Sunday’s 30-18 win against Wakefield.

Now, Navarrete has revealed the secret to his U-turn - the 36-6 defeat by England during the World Cup.

The 23-year-old said: “I felt I had a good performance against England, and after that my mind changed. “I started thinking about being back at Wigan. “I realised I had a great opportunity and if I didn’t take it, I would look back and regret it.”

And so Navarrete gave himself just a few days rest after the World Cup tournament before starting his own training schedule to ensure he returned to the club in good condition.

In the mornings I’d go to CrossFit, in the afternoon I trained with a personal trainer and at night I’d do boxing - a lot of work,” he said.

Navarrete is hoping he can retain his place in the Wigan side despite the expected return of Joel Tomkins for Sunday’s trip to Castleford.

“All the props here are good, every week is tough but I’ll try and give my best every game and hopefully I’ll stay in the side,” he added.

“I think now I have the Wigan mentality.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... -1-9063498
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
LORENZO

Re: Navarrete: Why I decided to return to Wigan Warriors

Post by LORENZO »

Good on yer lad. Ope you have a good un.
shimmy192

Post by shimmy192 »

Top forward and will reward any first team outing- he looked awesome against Wakefield- could take TT's place!
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

A good prop, will give competition for places and a ready SL fit man if the front row get injuries.
Ready made replacement for Sutton should he depart end of season.
markill

Post by markill »

He's certainly showing the right attitude. I'm glad he had a rethink because I would worry that he wouldn't really make it at all if he just went back to France and sunk into a comfort zone.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Like a lot of people, I didn't think he looked up to it last season, but very pleased so far to see him putting a big effort in this year.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

He certainly seems to have the right attitude and could become a very good prop.