Wigan coach Wane keeps opposition guessing on Tomkins’ role

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
moto748

Re: Wigan coach Wane keeps opposition guessing on Tomkins’ role

Post by moto748 »

morley pie eater wrote:I've always thought that a good coach develops a plan to fit his players, rather than trying to make players fit a pre-conceived plan (square pegs in round holes).

Maybe that's what Wane is doing?

So far this season we have 5 teams breaking away from the rest. We're one of them. Maybe we should give it time and see how things develop?

If it works, it gives the opposition a headache in having to prepare for different combinations. If one system works better over time, then SW can go with that. And if we get an injury to a key player, it's going to be easier to adapt.

We've lost one game on returning from Aus. We clearly have improvement in us, especially on first half performances. I don't see evidence that rotation in the spine is causing major problems, and it could be argued that we're better for it.
I'll go along with that.

It's early in the season, but we are doing OK, and have every reason to look forward with confidence. Some fans will always look for problems, though. As for 'settled spines', most spines get disturbed by injury at some point in a season anyway. Presumably Shorrocks (and Woods?) will get some game time as the season progresses, so we are not short of options.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

#WaneOut
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Big Steve

Post by Big Steve »

Sam at full back gives us something Escare doesn't yet provide which is that link play with the winger or centre.

How many tries has sam assisted with a beautifully timed pass or flick.

moto748

Post by moto748 »

I agree. I thought Sam at full back and Morgan in the halves looked quite a promising option.