Wigan coach Wane keeps opposition guessing on Tomkins’ role

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan coach Wane keeps opposition guessing on Tomkins’ role

Post by josie andrews »

Shaun Wane will take a ‘horses for courses’ approach to how he lines-up his playmakers.

Wigan had started the season using a fluid rotation which saw Sam Tomkins switch from full-back to stand-off, and Sam Powell from the halves to hooker, during the game.

But in their last outing, Tomkins remained at No.1 and Morgan Escare came off the bench to play halfback instead.

Wane plans to keep opposition teams guessing as to which way he goes, admitting it may vary week-to-week depending on who they play.

“It’s horses for courses, there’s so much talent in Sam and Morgan and the others, we can flip it around when we need to,” said Wane.

“We run players in different positions in training to it’s not a problem.

“Morgan is understanding the key calls (of playing halfback) and he’s improving all the time.”

Huddersfield are the visitors to the DW tomorrow night and Wane is expecting to face a backlash from their 38-6 loss to Hull KR a week ago.

“If we’d have got beat at home like they had, we’d expect a response,” he added.

“So I imagine we’ll get a very hungry, disappointed, angry Huddersfied team trying to make up to the coach what they put out last week.”

Tomorrow’s game is not being televised.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... -1-9075924
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Wigan coach Wane keeps opposition guessing on Tomkins’ role

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

The main issue with this is that the best teams have settled spines, it doesn't really matter how good the players are playing in the roles, the key is long stints in the roles so others learn what to expect from them and can read their plays before they happen.

What is also surprising is it seems George gets a completely free pass in all of this to stay in his favoured position the only one of the lot who is afforded that luxury regardless of performance
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Cherry_Warrior

Post by Cherry_Warrior »

I love it. i think it is a fantastic weapon to have at our disposal. It is definately a goer for me.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

I personally think george would make a great fullback
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

I've always thought that a good coach develops a plan to fit his players, rather than trying to make players fit a pre-conceived plan (square pegs in round holes).

Maybe that's what Wane is doing?

So far this season we have 5 teams breaking away from the rest. We're one of them. Maybe we should give it time and see how things develop?

If it works, it gives the opposition a headache in having to prepare for different combinations. If one system works better over time, then SW can go with that. And if we get an injury to a key player, it's going to be easier to adapt.

We've lost one game on returning from Aus. We clearly have improvement in us, especially on first half performances. I don't see evidence that rotation in the spine is causing major problems, and it could be argued that we're better for it.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

While we are swapping players around ca we try Hamlin in the centres
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

medlocke wrote:While we are swapping players around ca we try Hamlin in the centres
????????
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:The main issue with this is that the best teams have settled spines, it doesn't really matter how good the players are playing in the roles, the key is long stints in the roles so others learn what to expect from them and can read their plays before they happen.

What is also surprising is it seems George gets a completely free pass in all of this to stay in his favoured position the only one of the lot who is afforded that luxury regardless of performance
"So it doesn't matter how players are playing we need to keep a settled spine, but George stays there regardless of how he is playing"
Isn't that contradictory?
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

No straw damn us wrote:
Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:The main issue with this is that the best teams have settled spines, it doesn't really matter how good the players are playing in the roles, the key is long stints in the roles so others learn what to expect from them and can read their plays before they happen.

"So it doesn't matter how players are playing we need to keep a settled spine, but George stays there regardless of how he is playing"
Isn't that contradictory?
No because i'm saying i'm an advocate for a settled spine but on a separate point i find it weird that in this fluid spine system George gets to stay settled, why is Wane happy to move everyone but him - surely if he thinks this fluid spine is better then George should be included, why is his spot guaranteed and allowed to stay steady
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wane plans to keep opposition teams guessing....
The only person who thinks that is what is happening is Wane.

The opposition don't care if he makes the change or not and he is fooling no one except himself if he thinks it causes them any issues.

The tactics don't change and all this achieves is for part of a game we have less effective players in some positions because they are all not equally good half backs/full backs/hookers.

For example for me Powell is the worst half back in the first 17 but he starts at 7 every game and it is only when Wane does (if he does) the switch that we end up with a better player at 7 alongside Williams who as others pointed out never gets moved.