Wane on Hamlin

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
NICKYKISS

Re: Wane on Hamlin

Post by NICKYKISS »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:Seemed a reasonable interview to me. I think he has a point about tempo, and I am happy with the entertainment on show so far. I would rather see the ball in George and Sam's hands with time and momentum than forwards making an extra couple of metres after impact. As long as we dent the line and get quick plays our outside players will make hay. I think there is a tendency to extrapolate into infinity anything that can be used to criticise Wane (wasn't he a villain because he was never going to pick Woods again over the week end?)

One jet lag defeat and one harsh one a third into the new season - and best of all a pretty much fully fit squad - there is a lot to like about the prospects for this Wane coached team.
He gets unfairly bagged for things no doubt but not on this point. Hamlin sucked in defenders and created space. He won us 4 penalties that made us loads of ground and got us in positions to test their line through Tomkins and Williams. He lifted the crowd and his fellow players and brought an energy to the side that we’ve missed. I’ve never seen as many positive comments from a players teammates on social media then I did about Hamlin last night.

The comments by Wane that he wants him to find the floor quicker were pretty scary after that showing. He threw a dig in saying fans see it differently which wasn’t needed in my mind because I would also say 95%+ of the coaches who’ve been involved in the professional game around the world would also think it was ridiculous.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

First Try Tickle wrote:It's an entertainment business, and Hamlin was entertaining today.

If FPN was only doing what he was told then why did the club want shut.

When the interviewer says he's an instant crowd favourite and Wane says it's not want the crowd wants, then how should people feel.
As regards FPN we brought over a player nicknamed the wrecking ball and Wane stopped him doing what Hamlin did. FPN got loads of stick for NOT doing what Hamlin did and instead doing what his coach clearly wanted.

He said he left because he was homesick and if you are unhappy in your job such feelings are made worse and I can't see FPN being happy to be being slagged off for playing like that or having to do so.

It's not the first time under Wane players have come here with a reputation only for the fans to wonder where the players skills went. Now we know.

Currently not many people rate Powell but who knows what rigid instructions he is playing under. Same goes for the rest of the team.

I think a different coach would get far more from this set of players and I have thought that for some time. This comment has just reinforced that view.

BTW his Wigan TV interview is not much better as he publicly slags Woods off for not imposing himself on the game. God knows what he is on about there given we were running HKR ragged and Williams was having a field day unlike when he's playing beside Powell. What it is though is his excuse to drop him for Powell if he's fit next week.

Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

FPN was called the wrecking ball because of his defence.
We have other props who play in an entertaining style, so clearly it is possible to play in that style.
I think a bit of broader perspective would allow people to enjoy what we are seeing a bit more. We are going well, and playing a much more entertaining style, and keeping players fit. That was exactly what we asked for.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Cherry_Warrior wrote:Bloody hell hang on a minute. He is a 'buffoon' and 'clown' because he wants his team to play a different style of play to what some fans want? I want our forwards to make metres as much as the next person but Waney wants us to go down after contact and get the next phase going. What i so wrong with that? I am glad he has said it, at least it gives us a bit of perspective into his way of thinking. I am not overly struck on Wane but would i swap him? Probably not, not unless you can get me a Maguire or something. We have lost 2 games so far. One against an improving Warrington side just after coming back from Australia and a narrow defeat against the form side in the league with the help of some extremely dodgy decisions. Give the man some credit for christ sake. I don't like some of the decisions he makes and some of the players he plays in certain positions but bar last season we are always there or there abouts. To start using personal insults against him is ridiculous, i think he has earned the right to play how he wants to play. He is paid to get results and results is what he has achieved. What do some folk want at all?
Spot on as always, cp.

I understand that there's a perfectly valid debate between those who want "metres after contact" and others who think a quick ptb is more important. I'd be keen to see both sides give evidence and examples, including what succesful NRL coaches do etc.

Unfortunately, the main debating points on here seem to be what the fans want (the number of complaints about FPN, for example), and how well Hamlin did against a beaten team.

I don't have a strong opinion either way, but am prepared to accept the coach's view rather than that of the fans who shout loudest.

Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

I’m all for the quick PTB but I think that comes from when you’ve made the metres and the other team on on the back foot.
Doesn’t make sense if your just looking get a quick PTB when the defence have just stopped you dead, there defence will be already for the next play
moto748

Post by moto748 »

But as others have pointed out, Hamlin *did* get a quick ptb most of the time. And I can't believe that Lockers and the other senior players saw anything wrong with what he did. Also, Wane's (later?) interviews, as on Wigan TV, seemed quite different in tone, and he was praising Hamlin.

I hope and expect that Hamlin will be in the 17 for Cats (if not Cas and Leeds).
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

If he was such a issue why did the tempo drop that much when they pulled him off that he came back on 5 minutes later.

HKR could not deal with Hamlin at all on monday and while they were tired, surely playing like that has its benifits.

you want quick PTB fair enough, do that at the start, when the teams tire, bring Hamlin on and let him play like he did monday!!!!

i don't normally agree with alot of people regarding Wane on here, but in this case Hamlin was successful and entertaining
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Fan4Fifty

Post by Fan4Fifty »

One coach, 11,000 fans (and declining) with a different view; but of course we are all wrong; we may not all be professional coaches but we do know what we appreciate.

Ellery Hanley wouldn't have got a game with this guy!!
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

My agenda isnt anything to do with Wane I have defended him for years. On this though hes miles off. People quoating NRL and quick play the balls and so on.... how would you describe the way Jason Taumalolo plays and hows he reguarded? These are pro players they should be doing both, I have no problem in finding the floor with your elbows when its needed,I also except now and again players will get it wrong. I also love watching our players doing what Hamlin did yesterday. It was 0-0 if memmory serves when he came on.... saying he made yards after contact didn't seem to cause issues. It lifted the crowd and in turn they lifted the team. Stuff like that is what I pay to see.
We have been much better this year the two games we lost have both been with valid reasons. We as a club need to look at what fans want listening to reactions during and post game its clear to me. You may as well remove all south sea island 0layers from the NRL if you dont want leg drive on contact?
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fan4Fifty

Post by Fan4Fifty »

Quick PTB's are great, but isn't that exactly what Hamlin gave us. At last we had a forward showing some urgency to get up and play quickly and aggressively and win penalties, very easy yards, on the back of it. Really at a loss with this one unless this is Wane's way (and there's no other way!!) of keeping his feet on the ground.

Surprised too that there's been no dig from him at the fact that we kicked the ball 30 metres from penalties yesterday instead of the regulation 10!