Wane on Hamlin

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Wane on Hamlin

Post by DaveO »

I made a joke in the game thread that Wane would turn Hamlin into FPN.

Well for all those who were at the game today and enjoyed what Hamlin did, you have probably seen the last of it. According to Wane that leg drive is "not good for the team". And he wants him to get down and get a quick PTB instead.

It's all here http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0632wky

Now you know why FPN was ineffective. We are coached by a buffoon.
keptinthedarkfans

Re: Wane on Hamlin

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

DaveO wrote:I made a joke in the game thread that Wane would turn Hamlin into FPN.

Well for all those who were at the game today and enjoyed what Hamlin did, you have probably seen the last of it. According to Wane that leg drive is "not good for the team". And he wants him to get down and get a quick PTB instead.

It's all here http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0632wky

Now you know why FPN was ineffective. We are coached by a buffoon.
Wish I could disagree with you. Only one person I can see that is bad for the team AND HE PICKS IT. And before you all jump on me with look where we are. My reply is with a coach who knows how to nurture players look where we should be.
southernpie

Post by southernpie »

I think I heard an interesting comment on Wigan Tv Hull KR post match interview from Waney
Something about taking phone calls apologising for the try that shouldn't have stood and the penalty that wasn't during the Stains game
Did say that Gabe and Romaine have now given him a selection headache after today
Sounded like Wigan Tv interview was more rehearsed than BBC one
This St Helens Defence is like a lollipopman at Brands Hatch -Ray French BBC TV Challenge Cup 1982

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-55dq ... Botica.jpg [/img]

https://picasaweb.google.com/nogireman/ ... SDELRUGBY#
4 Generations

Post by 4 Generations »

Horses for courses i think.Brought the new boy on at Half Time against at team that was beaten and sitting in the relegation slot.Easy to look good against them.
I think thats the message.
Along with the numerous options SW now has.

4G
Cherry_Warrior

Post by Cherry_Warrior »

Bloody hell hang on a minute. He is a 'buffoon' and 'clown' because he wants his team to play a different style of play to what some fans want? I want our forwards to make metres as much as the next person but Waney wants us to go down after contact and get the next phase going. What i so wrong with that? I am glad he has said it, at least it gives us a bit of perspective into his way of thinking. I am not overly struck on Wane but would i swap him? Probably not, not unless you can get me a Maguire or something. We have lost 2 games so far. One against an improving Warrington side just after coming back from Australia and a narrow defeat against the form side in the league with the help of some extremely dodgy decisions. Give the man some credit for christ sake. I don't like some of the decisions he makes and some of the players he plays in certain positions but bar last season we are always there or there abouts. To start using personal insults against him is ridiculous, i think he has earned the right to play how he wants to play. He is paid to get results and results is what he has achieved. What do some folk want at all?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Cherry_Warrior wrote:Bloody hell hang on a minute. He is a 'buffoon' and 'clown' because he wants his team to play a different style of play to what some fans want? I want our forwards to make metres as much as the next person but Waney wants us to go down after contact and get the next phase going. What i so wrong with that? I am glad he has said it, at least it gives us a bit of perspective into his way of thinking. I am not overly struck on Wane but would i swap him? Probably not, not unless you can get me a Maguire or something. We have lost 2 games so far. One against an improving Warrington side just after coming back from Australia and a narrow defeat against the form side in the league with the help of some extremely dodgy decisions. Give the man some credit for christ sake. I don't like some of the decisions he makes and some of the players he plays in certain positions but bar last season we are always there or there abouts. To start using personal insults against him is ridiculous, i think he has earned the right to play how he wants to play. He is paid to get results and results is what he has achieved. What do some folk want at all?
How can you ask what is wrong with that? The entire 2017 season was spent with people moaning that is all FPN ever did!

Today Hamlim drives in and it is effective and Wane then says it's bad for the team! He had the evidence before his very eyes it WAS effective.

He clearly wants players to find the ground every bloody time they make contact regardless of what is going on. He is totally one dimensional and now we have the evidence of what many have said before, that the team is coached to play this way, from his own lips.

It lifted the team, the crowd, it won us penalties and points followed and it put HKR on the back foot and Wane says it's bad for the team! I don't think I have seen a clearer indication yet he is out of his depth.

If you followed my updates on the game you ought to be able to tell how much I was enjoying watching Hamlin but not because it was pretty but because it was effective. And then Wane comes out with that tripe? Honestly the man needs to go.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Seemed a reasonable interview to me. I think he has a point about tempo, and I am happy with the entertainment on show so far. I would rather see the ball in George and Sam's hands with time and momentum than forwards making an extra couple of metres after impact. As long as we dent the line and get quick plays our outside players will make hay. I think there is a tendency to extrapolate into infinity anything that can be used to criticise Wane (wasn't he a villain because he was never going to pick Woods again over the week end?)

One jet lag defeat and one harsh one a third into the new season - and best of all a pretty much fully fit squad - there is a lot to like about the prospects for this Wane coached team.
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

It's an entertainment business, and Hamlin was entertaining today.

If FPN was only doing what he was told then why did the club want shut.

When the interviewer says he's an instant crowd favourite and Wane says it's not want the crowd wants, then how should people feel.
LooseHead

Post by LooseHead »

You can drive through contact like Hamlin did and still create momentum, it’s not
one or the other. It’s not like Hamlin had a slow PTB, if anything his energy to drive through into contact then regain his feet won us at least 2 penalties.

What impressed me more about Hamlin is his desire in defence, chases down everything and made some big shots.

Just hope Wane lets Hamlin develop his current style rather than neutering it - as a
shorter lighter prop using him purely for 5 m carries and with an emphasis on dropping to the floor and generating quick PTB will ruin him.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Cherry_Warrior wrote:Bloody hell hang on a minute. He is a 'buffoon' and 'clown' because he wants his team to play a different style of play to what some fans want? I want our forwards to make metres as much as the next person but Waney wants us to go down after contact and get the next phase going. What i so wrong with that? I am glad he has said it, at least it gives us a bit of perspective into his way of thinking. I am not overly struck on Wane but would i swap him? Probably not, not unless you can get me a Maguire or something. We have lost 2 games so far. One against an improving Warrington side just after coming back from Australia and a narrow defeat against the form side in the league with the help of some extremely dodgy decisions. Give the man some credit for christ sake. I don't like some of the decisions he makes and some of the players he plays in certain positions but bar last season we are always there or there abouts. To start using personal insults against him is ridiculous, i think he has earned the right to play how he wants to play. He is paid to get results and results is what he has achieved. What do some folk want at all?

Sorry cherry he has all and beyond the credit I am willing carry on giving him. His destroying of Hamlin's attacking prowess. shows how out dated and out of touch he is with modern day forwards Hamlin today was outstanding and showed both the guts and know how of breaking teams down and go forward. Farrell playing wanes method is a shadow of the world class player he really is Bateman another being sacrificed and wasted. His whole team attacking set up is both predicable and none affective against the top sides. interestingly the sides you are making excuses for us loosing to. So I tell you what I want as you ask. A team with attacking vision half backs that are not playing to script and puppets. Not going to see that under wane. And you are right calling him a buffoon was not right. But he is definitely not the coach to take us forward he is totally out dated.