New deal on the cards for Wigan Warriors prop Romain Navarrete

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

New deal on the cards for Wigan Warriors prop Romain Navarrete

Post by josie andrews »

Shaun Wane has said he’s seen enough from Romain Navarrete to convince him to offer the French forward a new deal.

Navarrete is out of contract at the end of the season, but has impressed the coach this year after a turbulent first campaign with the Warriors last term which saw him return to Catalans on loan. But since deciding to return to Wigan, the France international has impressed fans with his performances, and Wane with his work ethic.

“He’s done it. He’s proved to me,” Wane said when asked how far Navarrete was from securing a deal. “His attitude… he’s been like a different person. He understands now what it is and what he needs to be a Wigan player.

“We are very different to Catalans and I don’t mean that in a negative way - they have a different outlook on things, but he gets it.”

Wane said earlier this year Navarrete took ‘the toughest option’ in coming back to Wigan to prove himself. And the way the 23-year-old has improved has persuaded Wane to speak to rugby director Kris Radlinski about a new deal for the prop. “

I sat down with him at the start of the year with his agent and he said ‘the penny’s dropped, I understand now’. And he has been absolutely perfect,” said Wane. “The way he’s trained, the intensity he’s shown in the gym, in his skills, in the meeting room, he’s done everything I want.

“I can see him playing a massive part in the season and how we’re going to finish. “I’ve spoken to him and to Rads so he knows where we’re at with all our players.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... -1-9129524
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Exiled Wiganer

Re: New deal on the cards for Wigan Warriors prop Romain Navarrete

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

He faced a choice and he chose the harder path. Credit to him, and a lesson one of his team mates could learn from. Good luck to the big fella.
warriorwilliams

Post by warriorwilliams »

Agree re: Navarrete - credit to him.

Just wish the Club, seen as they seem to be doing business recently, would announce some higher profile contract extensions/ renewals (Gildart, Bateman etc)
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

warriorwilliams wrote:Agree re: Navarrete - credit to him.

Just wish the Club, seen as they seem to be doing business recently, would announce some higher profile contract extensions/ renewals (Gildart, Bateman etc)
Maybe they are not being announced because said high profile players are leaving
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Good business ????
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

medlocke wrote:
warriorwilliams wrote:Agree re: Navarrete - credit to him.

Maybe they are not being announced because said high profile players are leaving
:eusa11:
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
jobo

Post by jobo »

Good news. He's loads of potential and Wane could well be the coach to develop it.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Vote Romain

Romain Navarrete agrees new contract with Wigan Warriors

French international rejoined Warriors ahead of 2018 season

Navarrete to stay until end of 2021 with option for a further year

Romain Navarrete has agreed a new contract with Wigan Warriors that will see him remain with the Club until the end of 2021 with the option of a further year, in Wigan’s favour.

Navarrete, 23, joined the Cherry and Whites last season and played 10 games before heading to Catalans Dragons on loan.

After featuring for France at the 2017 Rugby League World Cup, he re-joined Wigan ahead of the 2018 season and has played five games to date this year.

Kris Radlinski, Wigan Warriors Executive Director, said:

“It took Romain a little while to understand how we do things at Wigan but he has really grasped that this year and we are starting to see the benefits of that on the field.

“He played several games last year through default owing to injuries to other players but this season he has been selected on merit and has really added to the competition for places with some good performances.

“The challenge for him now is to hold down a regular spot in the team and we are confident that he will be able to do that.

“At just 23 years of age, his best years are definitely ahead of him and we are very happy to have agreed this new contract.”

Romain Navarrete said:

“I’m really happy to sign this new contract with Wigan. I have worked hard to regain the confidence with everyone here after what happened last year and now I’ve done that I’ve got a massive opportunity over the next few years.

“I’m really looking forward now to a big season with Wigan.”

Shaun Wane, Wigan Warriors Head Coach, said:

“I am so pleased how Romain has returned to us, his attitude is now a Wigan attitude which has made him a tough competitive athlete. I can see him playing a major role in our success moving forward.”

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2018- ... 57irK3w.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

He'll have to leave after the end of that extension or get a visa, so unless he's played enough games for the first team he'll be out anyway.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Not the biggest but plays bigger than his size.
A good signing.