Wane Leaving

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
yonmon

Re: Wane Leaving

Post by yonmon »

Waney would not walk without good reason.My guess is,like others have said, that it's the selling culture at the club.
Lenagan has to manage the salary cap while keeping all the players happy....that can't be easy!
We have a great academy that will produce new stars and enough clout to poach top players from other teams so in the end we'll be fine.
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

I'm surprised that no one is picking up on this line from Waney's interview "at times has been incredibly difficult both on and off the field, especially the last two years".

To me that suggests that there has indeed been a lot of discontent off the field and whether it's down to IL and his policy of allowing players to leave and return is anyone's guess. I'm waiting to see who gets appointed as the next Head Coach, but if IL's past form is anything to go by, I fear it may well be John Winder. Which would be possibly the most underwhelming appointment possible.

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

First Try Tickle wrote:
I do think the recent changes and report of other players leaving or retiring has made him think now is the time to go. Maybe IL has said he now needs a coach who is committed due to the changes and not someone who's looking elsewhere.
Then there is a strong chance that would be Winder then because I can't see a top coach coming into a side that is in effect being advertised as one that sheds top players and does not sign them. And before anyone says we signed Hardaker, that is just a cheaper option at FB and so is just a symptom of this.

Any top class coach will expect the chairman to support him with his squad. While the reality of NRL raids is always present we know other teams do not seem so ready to let their players go there. They get them to sign contracts of X years without get out clauses or the expectation that when the contract expires it is inevitable they will get a crack at the NRL. The whole emphasis from IL has always been wrong on this for me with this idea we have first refusal if players leave. I get it was a reaction to several players leaving a few years ago but it was a weak response. And that is before they came back lesser players then they went for the most part. They should have been told to see their contracts out and if they then wanted to go elsewhere, then that was up to them.

If Wane has walked because of disagreements with IL then IL needs to revise his expectations from a coach. Few if any top class coaches will be "yes men" so if he wants a top class coach he has to accept this. The alternative is to pick someone like Winder who with his first head coach job might be more compliant. Or someone desperate for a job such as Tony Smith (if he is looking for a way back into RL) who might also be grateful for the job.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

yonmon wrote:Waney would not walk without good reason.My guess is,like others have said, that it's the selling culture at the club.
Lenagan has to manage the salary cap while keeping all the players happy....that can't be easy!
We have a great academy that will produce new stars and enough clout to poach top players from other teams so in the end we'll be fine.
Other clubs seem to manage the salary cap without selling players. Saints and Leeds spring to mind. They tend to bring players in, have players see contacts out and so not sell let their best players leave.

As to us poaching top players from other clubs, you are joking right? When was the last time we did that?

The signings we make tend to be "easy" requiring little scouting as they have been ex-players returning after things don't work out elsewhere or project players in the most part. Even Hardaker is a player who kind of landed in the clubs lap due to his drugs ban because you can bet your house we would not have been poaching him from Cas had he not been sacked by them.

On the plus side we have re-signed some good young players but if those rumoured to be leaving do go and senior players as in Lockers and Tommy retire or play fewer games next season then the coaching job becomes less attractive.

I would not be surprised if it wasn't Winder and Tommy.
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

DaveO wrote: The alternative is to pick someone like Winder who with his first head coach job might be more compliant. Or someone desperate for a job such as Tony Smith (if he is looking for a way back into RL) who might also be grateful for the job.
or someone who would feel it was an honour to coach Wigan and so would take the job and do as he's told.

Dennis Betts ??
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Sutty wrote:I'm surprised that no one is picking up on this line from Waney's interview "at times has been incredibly difficult both on and off the field, especially the last two years".

To me that suggests that there has indeed been a lot of discontent off the field and whether it's down to IL and his policy of allowing players to leave and return is anyone's guess. I'm waiting to see who gets appointed as the next Head Coach, but if IL's past form is anything to go by, I fear it may well be John Winder. Which would be possibly the most underwhelming appointment possible.
He lost his father & brother which affected him badly. How he has managed to keep smiling shows the strength of the man.

Shaun Wane will be a massive loss to Wigan, and I for one, am extremely upset about this.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

josie andrews wrote:
Sutty wrote:I'm surprised that no one is picking up on this line from Waney's interview "at times has been incredibly difficult both on and off the field, especially the last two years".

He lost his father & brother which affected him badly. How he has managed to keep smiling shows the strength of the man.

Shaun Wane will be a massive loss to Wigan, and I for one, am extremely upset about this.
Ah, I see. I didn't know that. Fair play to him then, that must have been incredibly difficult for him.

Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I think the quote is to do with the recent losses he has had to face. Losing a brother so young must be heart breaking.
He has shown himself to be a man of integrity and class, and will be a hard act to follow. I am pleased it is in the open now, though, so we can show our appreciation for the rest of what will be a glorious year on the field.
As for IL's investment, or under investment, the fact is that we pay more in salaries than any other club. So, he clearly cannot rationally be accused of under investment.
As for our success in IL's time, only Leeds have won as much as Madge and Wane managed. So, he clearly cannot rationally be accused of overseeing failure on the field.
In an ideal world, I would like Wane to get a good job with less pressure, and for us to get an NRL experienced head coach.
IL chose fantastically when he chose McGuire, and was proven right when he chose Wane. He has earned our faith this time.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Well it looks like he just resigned for whatever reason:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/44210082
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Hes open to anything/he wants to further test himself....... two different interviews, two different scenarios
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE