Next Wigan coach?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
eccywarrior

Next Wigan coach?

Post by eccywarrior »

After yesterday's news of wane leaving end of season who would you love to be coach of wigan? There's a few id like see...

Hanley? Dont know what hes doing nowadays but he played a massive part of the saints dominance of in early sl era.

Edwards? Hes on mega money in union and would he take a pay cut to coach wigan? Or even more that if he failed it could tarnish his legend name at the club?

Farrell? Same as edwards really.

Betts? Would be a massive mistake along with winder being promoted.
Maguire? He was a good coach but i wouldn't have him back again.
IN WANE WE TRUST
Wes

Re: Next Wigan coach?

Post by Wes »

Shaun Edwards
Paul Deacon
Eystyn Harris
Tony Smith
Stephen Kearney
Young Aussie Coach

I’d be happy with any of the above.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Wes wrote:Shaun Edwards
Paul Deacon
Eystyn Harris
Tony Smith
Stephen Kearney
Young Aussie Coach

I’d be happy with any of the above.
Trent Barrett my first choice of his experience. Hoping Manly sacks tbh he would be good for us.

Edwards he did or does go to Brisbane to soend tine with Bennett.

Powell would be a very brave choice for more than 1 reason.

Faz would be great for us brains and inspiration.

Tony Smith last choice based on experience alone. I would not be looking at anyone else.

bill.inger

Post by bill.inger »

Matt Dawson, star of 'Question of Sport' and a decent RU half back has suggested that England RU need Edwards as a defence coach (and the money would be far better than Wigan could offer.)
Realistically, half the present team will be gone in two years time, i.e. Lockers, Leului, Bateman, Sutton, Tomkins, and Clubb and Flower are getting ready to be superceded. Joel Tomkins can't go on forever even with the new lease of life. Sarge getting a bit hit and miss with injuries and form and the two main wingers now injury prone. Hamlin, I think will quit because he's not getting the chances.
That leaves the incoming coach with massive problems, primarily getting IL to stump up some big money and that's not likely to happen. Maybe only Edwards or Trent Barrett could force IL to invest in WIGAN-quality players and have the personality to bring the right players in and select the right assistant, (someone like Deacon). Money, money, money and it's not there.
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

Have a read of this article from Matt Dawson. The way he talks about Edwards shows he's just what we need to steady the ship and bring the young players through.

www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/44194954

and if he needs an assistance, he'll have Lockers and Tommy with him.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I’m not a betting man but for me I think IL will give Winder a go at head coach,we can all make dream lists but I suspect it’ll come down to cost in the end and I would think Edwards may just be out of our sports price range.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

fozzieskem wrote:I’m not a betting man but for me I think IL will give Winder a go at head coach,we can all make dream lists but I suspect it’ll come down to cost in the end and I would think Edwards may just be out of our sports price range.
We need to be very careful during this period its a huge transition.
Sam is probably our best player - hes leaving, Wane has his critics but this year i would hold my hands up and say we have done a lot better than i thought we would and the idea that Wigan training caused injuries has been thoroughly debunked IMO. Add to that Bateman and Sutton look like they are leaving we are potentially losing a lot of quality.

teams can quickly fall from grace and although the league is in a poor state we cant fall too far behind because the more "level" low bar playing field means youre quickly sucked into the pack were things can get sticky.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

fozzieskem wrote:I’m not a betting man but for me I think IL will give Winder a go at head coach,we can all make dream lists but I suspect it’ll come down to cost in the end and I would think Edwards may just be out of our sports price range.

I agree it will be Winder, cheap as chips, God help us.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

old hooker wrote:

I agree it will be Winder, cheap as chips, God help us.
Attendances will plummet sharply if it happens
ian b

Post by ian b »

Sorry i've just posted on the rumour mill but it's in the papers that Edwards will be the next Wigan coach