SHOULD LENEGAN GO?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ancientnloyal

SHOULD LENEGAN GO?

Post by ancientnloyal »

Not liked the way we have been run for years. Our last great Aussie big name signing was Barrett. We are Wigan, we should have one after the other as our history and tradition dictates. We are built on big name signings, the jewels in our squad, the envy of everyone. Now we re sign Dan Sarginson for example
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
acwrlfc

Re: SHOULD LENEGAN GO?

Post by acwrlfc »

For me yes as well, people have posted on here for years that he sells all the assets and does it little investment at his football club and unfortunately that seems to be happening at out club.

I always look over the hill on how they do things and in M=cManus and Rush they appear to have got it right and have their own ground. They acted quickly with Cunningham for example even though he was a legend whereas we are stumbling from one disaster to another and with no visible investment
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

I mean, (reportedly) paying a barmaid to be quiet is absolutely unpalatable. That is low from Wigan.

Our crowds are going downhill, we cant sign quality (escare hardaker tho...) cant keep kids and we are rotten to the core.

We sbould be doing our all to keep Bateman, make him our captain but there is no fight. Why are kids wanting the NRL straight away?

I am disillusioned with Wigan. Crap crap crap... Still going Wakefield though on Thursday
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
catman

Post by catman »

I don't think Lenagan should go he just should come to the club a bit more often.

IFL has many commitments the football league, oxford United, west end productions and a string of family businesses. The time he spends with Wigan must be minimal. The day to day running of the club seems to fall to KR, which I am sure he tries his best to fulfill but what qualifications or experience does he have to run a medium to large business that is Wigan RLFC.

I think Lenagan needs either to spend more time at the club or employ a hard nosed chief executive that will take no crap off anyone and push us in the right direction.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

No he should not!
There is no comparison of his 10 years owning the club and the same period under the previous owner.
The club has been run well and trophies won.
We have great youth system and if it was up to IL the whole of SL would have reserve teams.
He has been at the forefront of the suggested changes and improvements to Super League and the RFL.

IL has been very good for the club and we have all benefited from it.
IL should most certainly stay.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

If someone wants to buy and he wants to sell, then I suppose so.
Last time I looked, we were paying the most in salaries of any club, and running more teams than anyone else. The 10 years since he joined have been far more successful than the 10 before then.
Most of the club's problems are on the pitch and cultural. He has allowed Wane to leave, which is about as much as he can do.
Get a good coach to choose the signings and coach the team, and we will make the most of the money he pumps into the club.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Wiganer Ted wrote:No he should not!
There is no comparison of his 10 years owning the club and the same period under the previous owner.
The club has been run well and trophies won.
We have great youth system and if it was up to IL the whole of SL would have reserve teams.
He has been at the forefront of the suggested changes and improvements to Super League and the RFL.

IL has been very good for the club and we have all benefited from it.
IL should most certainly stay.
Agreed with all this...
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

I’ll wait to hear what IL has to say before I get my pitch fork out from the shed.
Fan4Fifty

Post by Fan4Fifty »

I don't believe he should go at this stage - that would add disruption to disruption and he won't (nor should he) put himself in the position of a desperate seller. He's the owner, and owner's can't just 'go'.

That said, he does now need to get back to being hands-on, as has been said elsewhere, and start cracking the whip big style. Apart from anything else the value of his 'investment' is falling and the chances of building a bigger brand for Wigan RLFC (remember Wollongong?) are fading fast with current activities on and off the field. I do have a concern though that now IL's ambition of the clubs taking over the of running of Super League seem to be fading and with his non-RL/Wigan activities, the chances of a more hands-on role are remote.

I'm sure that at the start of this season there was talk of the launch of a new and improved forward strategy for the club. At the moment I think the frustration for fans is that it's difficult to see what's being done to arrest the decline in entertainment value and atmosphere at games (though maybe SW leaving is a start) and to generate enthusiasm about future plans. One thing is for certain - the longer the current malaise lasts (and this is 2-3 years rather than 2-3 weeks), the harder it will be to recover. I fear we may be very close to a tipping point for our great club.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

What he should do is get some more board members i.e. directors who can assist with finance and the running of the club. Preferably with experience and with contacts within the game.

It was a "gang of four" that got Wigan out of the doldrums in the late 70's early 80's not one man even though Mo Lindsay was the chairman.

At the moment it's Lenegan and Rads and Rads strikes me as way out of his depth ( I am being kind here...).

However I get the feeling Leneghan is treating the club as his toy and doesn't want to share. I also think the last thing he wants is a strong minded person in Rads role. He prefers a weak "yes man".

If I am right he's just a poor man's Dave Whelan. Just as dictatorial but with less cash.