Tomkins exclusive: “I’m deeply ashamed”

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Tomkins exclusive: “I’m deeply ashamed”

Post by josie andrews »

Joel Tomkins has opened his heart for the first time about the video nasty which led to him being fined and banned by Wigan Warriors. Tomkins contacted the Wigan Observer to issue a public, whole-hearted apology to his colleagues, fans and those involved.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... -1-9194218
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Re: Tomkins exclusive: “I’m deeply ashamed”

Post by medlocke »

Couldn't give a monkeys chuff, get him out, crap player, crap excuse of a person, only apologising because he's been told to :angry:
jobo

Post by jobo »

At least he's man enough to admit to his behaviour, without in any way trying to mitigate it.

He's a good bloke Joel Tomkins.

It's interesting that he said no one at the club had seen the video until last Saturday. Think that's blown a few of the conspiracy posters out of the water.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

medlocke wrote:Couldn't give a monkeys chuff, get him out, crap player, crap excuse of a person, only apologising because he's been told to :angry:
When I was told about all this just after it happened, I kept saying Joel? Are you sure it was Joel?

I was shocked to see the video! And ashamed :(
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

I've spoken to him a few times (briefly) and he's always seemed a nice bloke, almost shy in some respects.

Josie's friend

Post by Josie's friend »

medlocke wrote:Couldn't give a monkeys chuff, get him out, crap player, crap excuse of a person, only apologising because he's been told to :angry:
I liked the part when he spoke about how no one at the club had saw the video lol
That bar manager must be a compulsive liar, another story contradiction.

Imo if he just came out and apologised then it's fine but don't do it with a clear agenda. Personally I can understand getting way too drunk and making a mistake but the covering up is the issue.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Josie's friend wrote:
I liked the part when he spoke about how no one at the club had saw the video lol
That bar manager must be a compulsive liar, another story contradiction.

Imo if he just came out and apologised then it's fine but don't do it with a clear agenda. Personally I can understand getting way too drunk and making a mistake but the covering up is the issue.
Smacks to me as the club trying to cover their arse, basically you go tell them we didnt know ok!.

The bar manager has already said he/she contacted the club, he has less reason to lie about this than Tomkins does.

The whole thing is a mess and Wigan are now digging the whole even deeper. If Joel was "so drunk he cant remember" how did he know to go back there and apologise the next day?, well he didn that because the club told him to after they were told about the incident.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

If course hes gonba publically apologise...... if he comes back and is getting booed every week( by home fans as well as away fans) then his career could be over very quickly
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Thing is re-watch Zak Hardakers interview to see how not sacking JT is a problem, Zak mentions how getting in trouble a "little fine here and there" never made him think twice about his actions really
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

What he says is entirely consistent with what the bar man said - he contacted the club - and Rads' statement - he first saw the video last week end. What disappointed me about the apology was that he doesn't admit to having a drink problem, and outline what steps he needs to take. Anyone at his age who gets that out of it needs to take a good long look at himself.
As with many others, I would ditch him. But then I would have ditched Flower, and happily cheer for him when he puts on the cherry and white hoops.