Wane's Reasons

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
First Try Tickle

Wane's Reasons

Post by First Try Tickle »

I heard over the weekend the real reasons for Wane's resignation and how it went down with the board.

I can't go into to much detail, but it was all due to money and that Lenagan was refusing everything he asked for. In the end he snapped and resigned. The club asked him to stay until the end of the season, but then announced he was leaving.

So I think that policy rules Edwards out and any big signings.

DaveO

Re: Wane's Reasons

Post by DaveO »

First Try Tickle wrote: I can't go into to much detail, but it was all due to money and that Lenagan was refusing everything he asked for.
We were according to IL paying to the salary cap and on top had two marquee players. So I am not sure how much money Wane could ask for as there was no way to spend it.

Even with the players who he knew were leaving at the time (so not Joel) the club gave deals to Davis, Marshall and Gildart and has signed Hardaker.

So while there will be in theory more cash just due to losing Sam T's huge wage what is available on the cap might not be so great.
LORENZO

Post by LORENZO »

IL probably fed up with the calibre of players Wane has asked for and brought in over the last twelve months given recent results. Now hopefully seeking to redress the situation by getting rid of some dead wood and seeking a new manager with better experience and ideas.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

LORENZO wrote:IL probably fed up with the calibre of players Wane has asked for and brought in over the last twelve months given recent results. Now hopefully seeking to redress the situation by getting rid of some dead wood and seeking a new manager with better experience and ideas.
A similar thought did cross my mind. Given we have the biggest wage bill it looks far from value for money to me.

That said IL can't be totally let off the hook. It was his pet project to bring back former players from RU/NRL and I don't think Wane would have had much choice but to accept them. Hard to say if Wane would have disagreed with any of them returning but we don't know.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

First Try Tickle wrote:I heard over the weekend the real reasons for Wane's resignation and how it went down with the board.

I can't go into to much detail, but it was all due to money and that Lenagan was refusing everything he asked for. In the end he snapped and resigned. The club asked him to stay until the end of the season, but then announced he was leaving.

You are correct, I posted this last week bùt told I was talking crap but it is true .
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

old hooker wrote:
First Try Tickle wrote:I heard over the weekend the real reasons for Wane's resignation and how it went down with the board.

You are correct, I posted this last week bùt told I was talking crap but it is true .
Well given we have agreed new contracts with Davis, Marshall, Navarrete and Gildart and signed Hardaker and now Greenwood given none of them bar possibly Navarrete will be on peanuts it seems money has been made available. Does Wane not agree with these signings? He must have known Greenwood was on the cards as well as its been rumoured for months.

Wane must also have known who was contracted for 2019 so would not be going anywhere and at the time he resigned that included Joel.

We might like a new 7 but Wane has Powell as first name on the team sheet so I am struggling to see which positions Wane was asking for new players and how realistic this was anyway. FTT's post implies numerous requests have been knocked back.
doc

Post by doc »

Could have been knocked back to cause a dummy spit. Wane resigns then the club don't look like bad guys for not renewing his contract.
Oldprop

Post by Oldprop »

Had on good authority IL told all his staff that he had to reduce his overheads by 30% for next season. Seems SW wouldn’t take a pay cut!
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

When I said Lenagan was refusing everything he asked for, I didn't mean just players. It started with an attack coach and included other things.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Its funny because I always got the impression that Wane didn't like to bring in outsiders. He always seemed to come down on the well promote from within and go with what we have position. If that was just supporting a line he didn't agree with he was really good at it. I didn't pick up on any frustrations at the time.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐