BBC sport - Edwards linked with Wigan job

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Big Steve

Re: BBC sport - Edwards linked with Wigan job

Post by Big Steve »

When Noble's contract was coming up for renewal IL asked Shaun Edwards to report on state of the squad and style of play when we had a game in London. He obviously knows him going back a long time.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:Im in the same boat though i don't really see why Edwards is seen here as the Holy Grail having never coached in Rugby League - i understand he's got a good record in union but i dont know if that really matters?, many on here are saying how Wane might struggle in union but he has a good record in league so by rights he should walk it and be the saviour of Scottish Rugby.

Personally id rather see an aussie with no affiliation with the club to come in and clear the decks of the old boys club and make everyone work for their place
So would i,im not a fan of Edwards coming back.
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

old hooker wrote:
Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:Im in the same boat though i don't really see why Edwards is seen here as the Holy Grail having never coached in Rugby League - i understand he's got a good record in union but i dont know if that really matters?, many on here are saying how Wane might struggle in union but he has a good record in league so by rights he should walk it and be the saviour of Scottish Rugby.

Personally id rather see an aussie with no affiliation with the club to come in and clear the decks of the old boys club and make everyone work for their place
So would i,im not a fan of Edwards coming back.
Why do some people think Wane, without any Union experience, will be successful at Union but Edwards, with a wealth of League experience, is incapable of being a successful League coach?
I think Edwards would be more than capable of leading Wigan.
ian b

Post by ian b »

Born winner and would be a fantastic coach in league. I think what ever he decided to do he would be a success he's just one of those people in my opinion
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

There is no argument in nostalgia being a negative thing

Brian Noble
Kieron Cunningham
Brian McDermott
Shaun Wane

I wonder what they have all won for the teams they used to play for...

Edwards is knowledgeable it is his job to know rugby of either code. A highly prized asset to Union and a man who could ignite a spark in League.

For Wigan he won’t have favourites, just winners. He know what this Club is, how it was built through sweat and blood from Leytham, Sullivan, Boston, Hanley, Koloi and the Gang of Four. It’s win or nothing and that’s how it should be.

Yeh, maybe he won’t win straight away, and IL will give him settle time to build a new squad. We will lose, get embarrassed by Wakefield again perhaps but we could with any coach.

Come home Shaun it’s time
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

ancientnloyal wrote:There is no argument in nostalgia being a negative thing

Brian Noble
Kieron Cunningham
Brian McDermott
Shaun Wane

I wonder what they have all won for the teams they used to play for...

Edwards is knowledgeable it is his job to know rugby of either code. A highly prized asset to Union and a man who could ignite a spark in League.

For Wigan he won’t have favourites, just winners. He know what this Club is, how it was built through sweat and blood from Leytham, Sullivan, Boston, Hanley, Koloi and the Gang of Four. It’s win or nothing and that’s how it should be.

Yeh, maybe he won’t win straight away, and IL will give him settle time to build a new squad. We will lose, get embarrassed by Wakefield again perhaps but we could with any coach.

Come home Shaun it’s time
ditto :eusa10:
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

just A few honours he won with us...

World Club Challenge (3): 1987, 1991, 1994

Championship (8): 1986–87, 1989–90, 1990–91, 1991–92, 1992–93, 1993–94, 1994–95, 1995–9

Challenge Cup (9): 1985, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995

Lancashire County Cup (5): 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992

Regal Trophies (7) 1985–86, 1986–87, 1988–89, 1989–90, 1992–93, 1994–95, 1995–96

Charity Shields (4) 1985–86, 1987–88, 1991–92, 1995–96

premierships (4) 1986–87, 1991–92, 1993–94, 1994–95
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Shaun Edwards is Rugby League through and through.
His return to the game will be almost seamless.
I don't see how any competitor for the job comes close to offering what Shaun has to offer.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

'Born winner' Shaun Edwards a worthy successor to Shaun Wane at Wigan Warriors, says Terry O'Connor

Shaun Edwards is a "born winner" who would be a very worthy successor to departing Wigan Warriors head coach Shaun Wane, says Sky Sports rugby league analyst Terry O'Connor.

Wane will step down at the end of the season and will take up a new role as a high performance coach for the Scottish Rugby Union once his commitments to Wigan have ended.

Wigan owner Ian Lenagan has confirmed Edwards is among "a handful of coaches who you'd like to see coaching Wigan".

Edwards, who is a former Wigan captain, is under contract with the Welsh Rugby Union until the end of the 2019 World Cup in Japan but O'Connor believes he would be a brilliant choice to succeed Wane if he can be persuaded to switch codes once again.

“He is an iconic figure. He was there when I first went to the club in 1994," O'Connor told Sky Sports News.

"He was a tremendous player on and off the field. He was the absolute ultimate pro. He was born a winner, his standards are high and he has got Wigan going through his blood.

"If Shaun Edwards does go to Wigan, he will want to make sure that everything is in place.

"He was a master who was ahead of the game. He studied the game. I remember going to his house as a 20-year-old and I was amazed because he had this room that was full of videos (DVDs were not out then I think) and he used to go home from training and study the opposition.

"He was the most decorated player that has played for Wigan and for him to go back there as a coach, he will certainly set the standards very, very high."

Wane, 53, played more than 100 times for Wigan before leading them to three Super League Grand Finals in a tenure that saw him become the club's longest-serving coach in the Super League era.

O'Connor believes Wane deserves a lot of credit for the success has achieved at Wigan and sees his switch to rugby union as a blow for rugby league.

He said: "When Shaun Wane came out and said he was going to be stepping down at the end of the year, automatically everybody was looking at why he would be leaving and where he would be going.

"Obviously it has come out since that he is going to Scottish rugby union which I think is a loss for the game, whether you love Shaun Wane or you hate Shaun Wane.

"What he has done for that club over his time there as a player and as a coach… He has been the main man in the job for the last six years and won trophies.

"He has brought a lot of players through and every year Wigan have had to really keep building because players keep on leaving

"But he has managed to do that. They are always there fighting it out. They are second place currently in Super League and people are saying there is a crisis going on."

http://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/n ... ry-oconnor
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.