BBC sport - Edwards linked with Wigan job

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
bertina

Re: BBC sport - Edwards linked with Wigan job

Post by bertina »

Wish it could be true but I don’t think there is a chance in hell.
His kids are in London. There will be jobs galore available to him in union, and all at more money than a super league club can afford.
I would give him the job tomorrow because I believe he could fit seamlessly back into rugby league.
But, dream on folks, cos it ain’t gonna happen.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

bertina wrote:
His kids are in London. There will be jobs galore available to him in union, and all at more money than a super league club can afford.
I would give him the job tomorrow because I believe he could fit seamlessly back into rugby league.
I read somewhere that his son is at Edinburgh university
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

bertina wrote:
On what Basis? Isnt he a defence coach in union? Defence isnt the issue people have alot of people complain about the attack.

His record playing speaks for itself but isnt it just nostolga and fairy tell dreaming to think he could be succesful?

These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:
bertina wrote:
On what Basis? Isnt he a defence coach in union? Defence isnt the issue people have alot of people complain about the attack.
From the article:

"Edwards was assistant coach and head coach at Wasps before taking up his role with Wales in 2008..."

He's not been just a defense coach.

He carried on as head coach at Wasps until 2011 doing both jobs and while coaching them they won several RU premierships and Heineken Cups.
His record playing speaks for itself but isnt it just nostolga and fairy tell dreaming to think he could be succesful?
Don't think nostalgia has anything to do with it. It's the fact he went from zero RU coaching experience to the top of the RU coaching profession coupled with his attitude seen as player and coach that makes him a favourite with many. His former association with Wigan is that he is someone who is known to fans as an uncompromising professional and that is not nostalgia. A nostalgic appointment would be someone like Andy Farrell who just does not have anything like Edwards reputation as a coach.
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

There's no smoke without fire.

Maybe if we can't afford him we should put a tenner on the season ticket price, that would be another 70k towards his salary.

Then again if this was the case I'd be looking at a refund for the past 3 years, especially with wowcher deals being offer at the moment.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

No need to put a premium price on season tickets if Gizmo came in as head coach, he'd put 2000 on the gate.
2000 x say £20 a head average including increase in local sponsorship is £40,000 a game.
£40,000 x 14 home games is £560,00 over a season.
Always thought that if he returned Shaun could well be self funding.

Back of envelope stuff of course.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I don’t get the obsession with Edwards,yes he’s done it all in league as a player but not as a coach,it just seems to be taking a hell of a gamble on the basis of his union record.

It seems to me the nostalgia factor is kicking in,he shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near a head coaches job for at least a few years.

I too yearn for a return to my youth,passing the Hacienda the other day I had flashbacks to my few visits there,off my trolley but having a great time but that was the 80’s,it’s flats now sadly and the same is true of Edwards he represents an unparalleled time for us Wigan fans and until such times as people can point out what he’s done as a coach in league then I won’t be convinced.

Being a good man manger and his record in union doesn’t count,you could argue wigan are losing a brilliant man manager in Wane and well union isn’t as good as league in everyone’s opinion.

Edwards as a player was a wonderful sight to see but as a coach no thanks the game has moved on since his day,not got the better in my opinion but that just me.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

fozzieskem wrote:I don’t get the obsession with Edwards,yes he’s done it all in league as a player but not as a coach,it just seems to be taking a hell of a gamble on the basis of his union record.

It seems to me the nostalgia factor is kicking in,he shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near a head coaches job for at least a few years.
I really do not understand this argument. He is hardly ignorant of the game is he. He often attends games himself. I am sure similar arguments were made when he started coaching at Wasps and yet he went on to lead them to more trophies in his time as head coach for them than Wane with all his RL background has managed for Wigan. Five trophies in six years (2005 - 2011) v three in six for Wane (2011 - 2017).
Being a good man manger and his record in union doesn’t count,you could argue wigan are losing a brilliant man manager in Wane and well union isn’t as good as league in everyone’s opinion.
I think you are clutching at straws there. Wane being a brilliant man manager has got to be joke given one of the prime complaints about his tenure here is his rumoured favouritism. What is not a rumour but a fact is his regular and public criticism of players which is just downright poor in that regard. I think if your face fits you may well think the sun shines out of Wane's bum but if not, find yourself another club.

The other things people are overlooking is the publicity if he came. It's already been a sporting headline on the BBC web site just because IL said what he did.

In a sport that has dropped off the back pages getting Edwards in would raise the profile again and plenty would be keen to watch his progress who otherwise would not bother if some no-name gets the job. RL has literally ZERO nationally known figures these days be it player or coach. IL pursuing Edwards fits right in with his recent comments about raising the profile of the sport.

That said, I don't think he would take the job even if IL offered it and offered him comparable pay. His jobs in RU are about as secure as you can get for a coach and for all we know he may well really enjoy his work. To walk away from that to a place that demands success in the short term is a risk.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Im in the same boat though i don't really see why Edwards is seen here as the Holy Grail having never coached in Rugby League - i understand he's got a good record in union but i dont know if that really matters?, many on here are saying how Wane might struggle in union but he has a good record in league so by rights he should walk it and be the saviour of Scottish Rugby.

Personally id rather see an aussie with no affiliation with the club to come in and clear the decks of the old boys club and make everyone work for their place
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure