Batemans Gone

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
si_bax

Re: Batemans Gone

Post by si_bax »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:
si_bax wrote:“With the recent signing of Joe Greenwood from the NRL to add to Liam Farrell and Willie Isa, coupled with promising youngsters such as Liam Paisley coming through the ranks, we still have plenty of quality in our second row department that we can call upon.”

Doesn't fill me with confidence
In other words despite boasting a "significant fee" we won't be investing back into the squad
exactly, be nice to announce a replacement signing or confirmation on our new coach to counter the news.

the fact that the "positive" news is that he is coming back in 2-3 years isnt a strong message to the fans
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

si_bax wrote:
Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:
si_bax wrote:“With the recent signing of Joe Greenwood from the NRL to add to Liam Farrell and Willie Isa, coupled with promising youngsters such as Liam Paisley coming through the ranks, we still have plenty of quality in our second row department that we can call upon.”

Doesn't fill me with confidence
In other words despite boasting a "significant fee" we won't be investing back into the squad
exactly, be nice to announce a replacement signing or confirmation on our new coach to counter the news.

the fact that the "positive" news is that he is coming back in 2-3 years isnt a strong message to the fans
I really object to the he comes back in 2-3 years as marquee player part - makes absolutely no sense at all to me unless its completely filled with stipulations which would make it meaningless
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Richymac

Post by Richymac »

Brian Carney saying on Sky Sports News that we should be expecting something big and he heavily linked to a coach coming in. Obviously didn't give too much away but seemed very sure it was happening. I haven't got a link as it was on the tv but yeah seems as though we may have a new head coach by the end of the week.
I suspect that will be the positive news we get to balance it out. Like when Tomkins left for Catalan we announced new contracts for Davies and Gildart
josie andrews

Re: Bateman gone official

Post by josie andrews »

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2018- ... eave-wigan

I know it’s been rumoured for almost all the season, but I’m furious with the club over this ????????
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Richymac

Post by Richymac »

I agree, he will be a massive miss. One of the best players I have seen in my generation. So much passion and determination and seems like a good guy and well grounded! I wish him all the best!
Wigan_forever1985

The whole thing is ridiculous and to agree to have him back in 2-3 years time as a marquee player is one of the most absurd things ive ever heard!
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:The whole thing is ridiculous and to agree to have him back in 2-3 years time as a marquee player is one of the most absurd things ive ever heard!
As much as I like Bateman, I agree with your sentiments!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
si_bax

Post by si_bax »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:The whole thing is ridiculous and to agree to have him back in 2-3 years time as a marquee player is one of the most absurd things ive ever heard!
Is it guaranteed he will be back after 3 years? what happens if his NRL contracted is extended... seems odd for a Aussie team to sign a player for 3 years and then let him go when he would arguably be at his peak
markill

Post by markill »

I reckon something else will be announced this week to counter this Bateman news too.

I don't think people should just be writing off the lack of reinvestment on the significant fee. It reads like we think we're covered in the back row, and we probably are. Doesn't mean we can't look to strengthen elsewhere with the fee and cap space.

The "return on marquee deal" clause seems like one of those things that gets said to spin a positive on the story, but really it'll be difficult to fully enforce from both sides and there'll be negotiations at any point where he may return. Don't forget, Sam Tomkins was signed for next year under an option in his contract, and that didn't turn out to happen.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Wigan_forever1985

si_bax wrote:
Is it guaranteed he will be back after 3 years? what happens if his NRL contracted is extended... seems odd for a Aussie team to sign a player for 3 years and then let him go when he would arguably be at his peak
god knows they can't even tell us what club he is going to.

Looking at it cynically it looks like he has basically built in a safety net of if he isnt great over there he's guaranteed a top dollar job with us but how in the hell can you offer a player Marquee status 2-3 years before they play for you?!

what does that say to all the players coming through at Wigan, what if we unearth an absolute gem of a player that we have to let go because a injury ridden NRL failure is taking top wage. (im not saying JB is this just an example of what can happen)

its almost like the Sam Tomkins ordeal never happened we let a prime ST go over there and took him back when he was absolutely crocked. we spent 3 years putting him back together paying him the top dollar and just as he is right off he pops again.

Radders needs to go - everything with his name on seems to be a complete botch job