Batemans Gone

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Batemans Gone

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

markill wrote:I reckon something else will be announced this week to counter this Bateman news too.

I don't think people should just be writing off the lack of reinvestment on the significant fee. It reads like we think we're covered in the back row, and we probably are. Doesn't mean we can't look to strengthen elsewhere with the fee and cap space.

The "return on marquee deal" clause seems like one of those things that gets said to spin a positive on the story, but really it'll be difficult to fully enforce from both sides and there'll be negotiations at any point where he may return. Don't forget, Sam Tomkins was signed for next year under an option in his contract, and that didn't turn out to happen.
theres a big difference between an 'option' which is just that, and a contract
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
markill

Post by markill »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:
markill wrote:I reckon something else will be announced this week to counter this Bateman news too.

I don't think people should just be writing off the lack of reinvestment on the significant fee. It reads like we think we're covered in the back row, and we probably are. Doesn't mean we can't look to strengthen elsewhere with the fee and cap space.

The "return on marquee deal" clause seems like one of those things that gets said to spin a positive on the story, but really it'll be difficult to fully enforce from both sides and there'll be negotiations at any point where he may return. Don't forget, Sam Tomkins was signed for next year under an option in his contract, and that didn't turn out to happen.
theres a big difference between an 'option' which is just that, and a contract
I'm just saying, I don't think we can see it as set in stone that he will come back in either two or three years. Regardless of what is announced today.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

And the obsession continues with re signing players,this though smacks of pandering to the fan base in the hope they won’t see through it and still buy season tickets and merch..

Always said he would go and good luck to him no issue from me with him going,only his return which and evidence supports me here hasn’t worked out at all,when a policy such as this doesn’t work why persist with it? I don’t care where he could end up I suspect Wigan have had his best years,let him go to wherever and good luck to him but the club have just basically paid Tokins huge wages for very little in the first two years so let’s do it all again.,

You couldn’t make it up
bertina

Re: Bateman gone official

Post by bertina »

josie andrews wrote:
Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:The whole thing is ridiculous and to agree to have him back in 2-3 years time as a marquee player is one of the most absurd things ive ever heard!
As much as I like Bateman, I agree with your sentiments!
I am also a massive fan of JB, but to agree to sign him back on marquee status in 2/3 years time is lunacy on a whole new level.
If he makes it big in Australia there is no way he will be back here and give up the big bucks available over there.
If he doesn't make it we dont know what we are going to get back.
Sounds like nothing only Radlinski's usual spin/bulls**t to me.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Thing is for me you could look at this (being the resigning clause) 2 ways both of which show how badly the club is being run at the moment

1) They are doing this it to try and spin a positive on the negative of him leaving in which case this only serves to prove the club have a massive disconnect from its fans and is essentially treating them like idiots and not really listening to what they want or don't want which is to stop signing previous players!

2) its a genuine deal in which case whoever agreed it should be relieved of their duties because quite frankly they don't know what they are doing to dangerous levels
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
warriors01

Post by warriors01 »

Good luck to JB but if Radders thinks that a backrow of Greenwood,Isa and Farrell coupled with youngsters is going to win something next year, I think he needs to go now. His recruitment over the years has been a disgrace and Lam is going to have to be some coach because the whole pack needs sorting out with at least 2 props, 2 second rows and hooker required. Along with a half back, maybe Lam will bring his son?. Blake Austin will be a sensation at Warrington but we never seemed to be linked with these sort of players. I know IL runs a tight ship but you begin to think that we have big financial issues at Wigan. Hence the auto renewal scheme, get the cash in the bank as soon as possible. We have 4 current internationals of which 3 are leaving and 1 should retire and we are recruiting from the Championship. Move over leeds as we are about to join you.
Fan4Fifty

Post by Fan4Fifty »

So Greenwood (unproven back in Super League), Farrell (always a long rehab when he's injured), Isa (journeyman) and youngsters give us adequate cover in back row. Unbelievable complacency and the whole announcement is an insult to the intelligence of fans. This is the most depressing period in nearly 60 years of supporting Wigan.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

josie andrews wrote:http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2018- ... eave-wigan

I know it’s been rumoured for almost all the season, but I’m furious with the club over this ????????
Josie I told you months ago that he was going. Shaun Wane at a sportsmans dinner in November last year said Bateman and Sutton would be going and there were other big changes to come.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Hasnt bateman alway been family orientated? This could be what it says on the tin. He wants to try the NRL. Maybe he is happy at wigan but would of hated it if he hadnt tried.

One minute everyones annoyed hes going the next they moan hes hes coming back
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

I want his agent working for me.

My client is going to leave you and go and join another team for 2-3 years. But if it doesn't work out he will return here on an increase in wages, and a 3 year contract.

Was anyone from Wigan in this meeting as it all seems one way.

And they want a decision on next years season ticket by the end of the week.

:eusa17: