Batemans Gone

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
wall_of_voodoo

Batemans Gone

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

The Canberra Raiders continue to bolster their stocks of English players, with John Bateman set to move to Canberra for the 2019 season.

The Raiders already have two England internationals on their roster, Josh Hodgson and Elliott Whitehead, while Bateman’s Wigan Warriors teammate Ryan Sutton has signed a two-year deal.

Bateman is a versatile player, recently seen in the Denver International match against New Zealand where he played at both centre and lock. Bateman can also play in the second row, and scored a second-half try in the victory.

It’s believed the Raiders are just finalising the details around the transfer fee required to get him out of the final year of his Wigan contract.
https://www.5thtackle.com/2018/06/27/jo ... -for-2019/
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
Fujiman

Re: Batemans Gone

Post by Fujiman »

wall_of_voodoo wrote:
The Canberra Raiders continue to bolster their stocks of English players, with John Bateman set to move to Canberra for the 2019 season.

The Raiders already have two England internationals on their roster, Josh Hodgson and Elliott Whitehead, while Bateman’s Wigan Warriors teammate Ryan Sutton has signed a two-year deal.

Bateman is a versatile player, recently seen in the Denver International match against New Zealand where he played at both centre and lock. Bateman can also play in the second row, and scored a second-half try in the victory.

It’s believed the Raiders are just finalising the details around the transfer fee required to get him out of the final year of his Wigan contract.
https://www.5thtackle.com/2018/06/27/jo ... -for-2019/
This is just recycled rumours tbh although it’s probably going to happen.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

What, you mean like the Sam Tomkins isn't going to Catalans rumour? :roll:
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

wall_of_voodoo wrote:What, you mean like the Sam Tomkins isn't going to Catalans rumour? :roll:
I was just pointing out that it confirms nothing.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Well here is The Sydney Morning Herald
They'll also bolster their stocks of English players, with Bateman set to move to Canberra for the 2019 season.

The Raiders already have two England internationals on their roster, Josh Hodgson and Elliott Whitehead, while Bateman's Wigan Warriors teammate Ryan Sutton has signed a two-year deal.

Raiders fans got a taste of Bateman in England's 36-18 win over New Zealand in the controversial Denver Test on Sunday.

He showed his versatility playing at both centre and lock, while he can also play in the second row, and scored a second-half try in the victory.

It's believed the Raiders are just finalising the details around the transfer fee required to get him out of the final year of his Wigan contract.

He's played 11 Tests for England, as well as 145 games for Bradford and Wigan.

The Raiders are also close to finalising two-year extensions for props Sia Soliola and Dunamis Lui, with talks also progressing for winger Michael Oldfield to stay on for another two years.

While the Raiders have re-signed Sezer, they've resigned themselves to losing five-eighth Blake Austin, who reportedly met with the Parramatta Eels about joining the Western Sydney club next year.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/canber ... 4zo0k.html

You can either discount it or admit it now that the Aussie are sprouting it all over their press

Two years with another years option doesn't sound like he's sticking around at the Warriors for much longer, but I hear you Fuji

Until Wigan actually say something...... we will just have to hold our collective breaths as surely another player can't be about to walk out of the team
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

wall_of_voodoo wrote:Well here is The Sydney Morning Herald
They'll also bolster their stocks of English players, with Bateman set to move to Canberra for the 2019 season.

The Raiders already have two England internationals on their roster, Josh Hodgson and Elliott Whitehead, while Bateman's Wigan Warriors teammate Ryan Sutton has signed a two-year deal.

Raiders fans got a taste of Bateman in England's 36-18 win over New Zealand in the controversial Denver Test on Sunday.

He showed his versatility playing at both centre and lock, while he can also play in the second row, and scored a second-half try in the victory.

It's believed the Raiders are just finalising the details around the transfer fee required to get him out of the final year of his Wigan contract.

He's played 11 Tests for England, as well as 145 games for Bradford and Wigan.

The Raiders are also close to finalising two-year extensions for props Sia Soliola and Dunamis Lui, with talks also progressing for winger Michael Oldfield to stay on for another two years.

While the Raiders have re-signed Sezer, they've resigned themselves to losing five-eighth Blake Austin, who reportedly met with the Parramatta Eels about joining the Western Sydney club next year.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/canber ... 4zo0k.html

You can either discount it or admit it now that the Aussie are sprouting it all over their press

Two years with another years option doesn't sound like he's sticking around at the Warriors for much longer, but I hear you Fuji

Until Wigan actually say something...... we will just have to hold our collective breaths as surely another player can't be about to walk out of the team
Like I said recycled news. Unlike others think we will get some sort of fee for him. Good luck to the lad and I’m sure he’ll give 100% till the end of the season.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

As others have said its just the same story recycled, we all pretty much know he's going but like a form of water torture this story just drips on and on.
oldhooker

Post by oldhooker »

Good luck to him, RL careers are short so who can blame him.Our club is in turmoil at the moment so perhaps thats another reason to get out.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Looks like the club is sticking to its guns and insisting on the transfer fee.

I hope the amount of the transfer fee was put in the contract so he doesn't go for a nominal sum.

Normally I couldn't care less about transfer fees and would prefer the club forced players to see contracts out even if that meant they left at the end of their contract for free. It's RL we are playing here, not Monopoly.

However in this case it's clear his contract says he can leave if a fee is paid so there is nothing to be done if the Raiders cough up the cash. That being so and given there seems to be a general feeling that finances are tight at Wigan, the club needs to cash in properly.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Agree with that. The last paragraph suggests his transfer isn't too far away. Hopefully the club will get the fee they want.
His replacement is with us already and that gives an opening for a younger player to replace Joel.
It looks like the club have managed the situation well given the situation over the past month or so.