Pinched from Bilko re Liam Marshall

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Pinched from Bilko re Liam Marshall

Post by josie andrews »

Liam Marshall made it 40 tries in 40 Wigan Appperances in last nights win over Leeds.

In comparison after first 40 Wigan games....

Billy Boston 45
Martin Offiah 44
Johnny Ring 41
Trevor Lake 40
Josh Charnley 37
Dom Manfredi 36
Joe Burgess 34
Brian Nordgren 33
Jason Robinson 13
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
moto748

Re: Pinched from Bilko re Liam Marshall

Post by moto748 »

In some exalted company there.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Looking at Jason Robinson's stats they don't look impressive. However he wasn't signed as a winger but played stand off in Wigan's academy at that time. John Monie didn't really like bringing in inexperienced players so didn't trust him to be able to handle his true position so he made a name for himself as a winger - rest is history
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Very impressive stats for Liam even though it's difficult to compare different eras. Bearing in mind that Offiah was a fully developed player when we signed him and he played in a very dominant side Liam's figure look good. The one who interests me most is Johnny Ring who has a phenomenal record yet is hardly ever mentioned as one of our greats like Billy. Can any of our older/better informed fans explain why this is the case please?
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Obviously I didn't see Johnny Ring play but his record is exceptional. My Father said he was the fastest wingman he'd ever seen, he didn't live to Offiah. Said Ring was the best he'd seen until we signed Billy. I don't think Billy was as fast as Offiah but his footwork was brilliant. He could beat a man inside out and did it all the time.

One thing I'll say in Liam Marshall's favour is that Billy and Offiah had great centres playing alongside them. Gildart is good but nowhere as good yet as Eric Ashton who was Billy Boston's centre. Nor as good as Gene Miles, Dean Bell or Gary Connolly who were Offiah's centres.

Marshall's effort is very good and I do hope he continues to improve as anything is possible for a wingman with his pace.

southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Thanks Wiganer Ted, I thought Johnny Ring must have been a real flier to have a try scoring record like that and over many seasons too. There more you think about it the more impressive Liam's record so far looks.
SJ

Post by SJ »

Wiganer Ted wrote:Obviously I didn't see Johnny Ring play but his record is exceptional. My Father said he was the fastest wingman he'd ever seen, he didn't live to Offiah. Said Ring was the best he'd seen until we signed Billy. I don't think Billy was as fast as Offiah but his footwork was brilliant. He could beat a man inside out and did it all the time.

One thing I'll say in Liam Marshall's favour is that Billy and Offiah had great centres playing alongside them. Gildart is good but nowhere as good yet as Eric Ashton who was Billy Boston's centre. Nor as good as Gene Miles, Dean Bell or Gary Connolly who were Offiah's centres.

Marshall's effort is very good and I do hope he continues to improve as anything is possible for a wingman with his pace.

My father to said Ring was the best winger Wigan ever had and he lived to see Offiah play. Good to see Liam in the pantheon of Wigan greatsThink he was a local lad who eventually lived in Lower st Stepen street. Don't know where that came from memory not what it was.
Ring not Liam
:lol:
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Johnny Ring was Welsh.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

I always thought mark preston was faster than offiah....... he scored some great tries for us but we got rid coz he couldnt tackle........ then we signed offiah lol
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Firestarter wrote:I always thought mark preston was faster than offiah....... he scored some great tries for us but we got rid coz he couldnt tackle........ then we signed offiah lol
At the risk of thread drift, I think he was about the same. He didn't have Offiah's "eye for the line" though.

Fastest player we have had, iirc was a New Zealander called Gary Henley-Smith.