Reserves

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Reserves

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Interesting to see that two Salford lads are playing for the reserves today, Levy Nzoungou and Jack Ratcliffe. Are they on loan at Swinton from Salford and therefore getting game time? Or are they having a trial?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
lucky 13

Re: Reserves

Post by lucky 13 »

cherry.pie wrote:It's possible they were just playing for us so they can get game time. I don't think there's any reason we can't use players from other clubs as it's not an official competition.

It was good for Manfredi to get back on the field. He did 40 minutes and got a couple of tries. You can tell he's been out for a while but it's just good to see him playing again. He didn't seem to have an injury going into half time so it must have been the plan to give him one half.

The draw was a fair result. I'm not sure how old the Fax reserves were but it looked like men against boys as their side was much bigger than ours. Samy Kibula was our best player. Played about 60 minutes so it wasn't his usual high impact bursts but he was a handful in attack. In the first half he played as a ball playing 13 and was exceptional. In the second half it was more about hard work and hard drives but he did create a try with pass any halfback would be proud of.

Sam Grant was also very impressive. It seems he's not as highly rated as some of our other youngsters but he impresses me in pretty much every game. His footwork is exceptional and is deceptively strong. He was one of very few dangerous players today.

Barran and Heckford in the halves were poor though.
I agree with all that. You are 100% right with Sam Grant. I dont mean this in a bad way he does not look like a rugby player but that does not mean he isn't. I'm always impressed with him. He's got good pace and balence decent hands most of all he reads a game so well and has great spacial awareness which you just can't teach. Of all the players he looks like the one who could slot in at centre with little issue hes got game sence. I also think the way he links in broken play would allow him to play full back in the future. I really hope he gets a chance if we could put half a stone on him I think he could turn into a very good player.
Big Sammy K is much more than just big hes got good hands both for spotting and putting someone through and also an offload. Was good to see him play a different role and bigger minutes. I can't help thinking 8f the lad was coming up the ranks in the NRL he would be given a chance at centre though I always imagine thats the way they think with game breakers out wide.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

A number of ex-pros rate Grant very highly.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I always think young grant looks like a uni student who’s suddenly found his way on to a rugby field but yes he was excellent as ever yesterday and for me while not quite ready for SL the pick of this and I’d argue last years crop,does his job very well.

Worth the trip up to see Dom Manfredi again,really hope though they don’t push hi back to soon,he looks as already said very rusty,as you would have thought he would have done,but got better as the half went on,40 mine was enough to at least start to blow the cobwebs away.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

fozzieskem wrote:I always think young grant looks like a uni student who’s suddenly found his way on to a rugby field but yes he was excellent as ever yesterday and for me while not quite ready for SL the pick of this and I’d argue last years crop,does his job very well.

Worth the trip up to see Dom Manfredi again,really hope though they don’t push hi back to soon,he looks as already said very rusty,as you would have thought he would have done,but got better as the half went on,40 mine was enough to at least start to blow the cobwebs away.
I like Sam Grant and think he has been the most improved player at Wigan this year.He probably needs another 10 Kg on him over the next two or three years.
It was interesting to hear Edwards talk about strength and conditioning in his interview with Brian Carney, it's obviously something he feels we need to improve on.

As for the two non Wigan players, I guess it's difficult for Wigan to have 51 players available over two days, first, academy and reserves. It appears they are not allowed to play any of the U16's in the U19's games even if they have already signed for the club for next season.
billy's pineapple ring

Post by billy's pineapple ring »

Just posted this on RL fans site. Being an old git, Sammy has a similar skillset to the great Bill Ashurst he just needs to find some of Bill,s aggression. I hope he does not grow any more in size but develops massively in strength and power in the next couple of years. For such a big lad with a decent turn of pace he does not seem to be able to run his weight, I am sure this will happen as he develops.
If he does he could be the answer to the Lockers conundrum for many years, that is of course unless it becomes " his dream to play in the NRL" a couple of months after signing a lucrative contract at the DW and makes an absolute nob of himself by taking the p**s out of the club that made him what he is.
Also really impressed with Sam Grant has terrific potential and one to keep an eye on, good pace and skill.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Is Shorrocks back from Salford?
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

fozzieskem wrote:Is Shorrocks back from Salford?

I think that should be Joe Shorrocks, not sure if he's related or not ?
markill

Post by markill »

Nezza Faz wrote:
fozzieskem wrote:Is Shorrocks back from Salford?

I think that should be Joe Shorrocks, not sure if he's related or not ?
Jake Shorrocks is back from Salford I thought. He played in our reserves last week. Although I'm not sure if that was just to get game time now that we played two Salford players in the reserves on Saturday.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
markill

Post by markill »

How old is Sam Grant? I agree that Saturday seemed his most accomplished performance in the reserves to date. He's still a little way off first team level though. I think he might be one of these players that isn't quite exceptional enough at anything to be a player at a top Super League side, but his effort and work rate might be able to make up for that.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod