Disability Rugby League Comes to Wigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Disability Rugby League Comes to Wigan

Post by josie andrews »

Physical Disability + Learning Disability Rugby League Teams Come to Wigan.

New Teams launched to grow community sport.

The first session will take place on Friday 10th August, 5:30pm @ Central Park.

Wigan Warriors are delighted to announce their first open group training session for the Physical Disability and Learning Disability Rugby League teams.

Community Innovation Manager, Anthony Atherton said:

“Since we took the decision to provide this new playing opportunity for the community we have been inundated with interest. By pre-registering players and understanding their needs we can provide the best rugby league experience for them. Working closely with the RFL and in particular John Welch (Chairman of PDRL) has helped us a lot, John has given us a lot of advice and been supportive for us taking this initiative forwards.”

John added:

“When we started PDRL in September last year, I knew we would create opportunities for people to either come back to the game they had lost through injury or health or invite people who have never had an opportunity to play our great game. Wigan are a huge club and throughout the years have provided some great memories for their supporters. I know the PDRL and LDRL players will be looking to do something similar as they embark on their playing journey.”

The club have already been successful in recruiting Scott Burns as Head Coach of both teams and will work to assemble a coaching team that can really drive this forward. Scott comes with a great pedigree as current Chair of GB Teachers Rugby League.

Scott enthused:

“I cannot tell you how honoured I was to be asked to be Head Coach of a Wigan Warriors team, being born and bred in Wigan and being a fan since childhood, it was a dream come true! After monitoring the fast growth in PDRL/LDRL I was impressed with the skill and enthusiasm on show, players proud to have an opportunity to pull on their clubs’ colours and compete. With the idea of a PDRL/LDRL Super League launch in 2019, the club will be offering open sessions to anyone eligible to come and join in and be part of the squad, your chance to be a Warrior!”

The project will be managed by Community Health Manager Claire Taylor who added:

“In my short time in the Community Foundation we’ve launched some great initiatives and this is another I’m pleased to be a part of.”

For Players, Coaches and Volunteers looking to attend on Friday, please pre-register via the following link:

REGISTER HERE

Date: Friday 17th August

Time: 5:30 – 7:00pm

Venue: Central Park, Montrose Avenue, WN5 9XL

Equipment Required: Comfortable exercise kit.

What is Physical Disability Rugby League?

Each squad will consist of 13 players with each team permitted nine players.
The nine players on each team will consist of seven players with a physical disability and two able-bodied players who do not have physical disabilities.
It is a running format of Rugby League which involves both full contact and touch tackle options, for all players who have physical disabilities.

What is Learning Disability Rugby League?

Each squad will consist of (13 players (10 with learning disability and three able bodied) with each team permitted seven players on the field at any one time.

A minimum of five players must be present on the field for a game to proceed/continue.

The seven players on each team will consist of a minimum of five players with a learning disability and two maximum “able bodied” players who do not have learning disabilities. These players must wear a high visibility fluorescent vest.

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2018- ... b6UTExW.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan