Willie Isa

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
markill

Re: Willie Isa

Post by markill »

He has played in every single game this year and I think has started at both centre positions and all three back row positions. That emphasises his utility and durability. They, along with effort levels, are his strengths. With only anecdotal evidence from what others say, it does seem like he's probably paid proportionate to his abilities, which is why I can't argue with his place in the squad.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Stats don't lie. People lie, sometimes by manipulating stats. People also sometimes misinterpret stats.

Willie Isa's stats show his workrate is good. They show he misses a higher proportion of tackles than top players.

My observation is that his misses are more crucial when he's used in the centres. He tends to shoot the line, leaving a gap which has resulted in giving away a try or two. (One in a recent match - was it Cats?)

I agree that he's a valuable squad player in the salary cap era. "Everyone likes a trier." But I would never play him at centre, and wouldn't compare him to Sam Panapa.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

josie andrews wrote:I like Willie ????
Hehe

:roll:
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

morley pie eater wrote:Stats don't lie. People lie, sometimes by manipulating stats. People also sometimes misinterpret stats.
As I said stats are useless without context. As someone else said your kick returner will have much better stats for meters than other players. Yes he will have made those meters so that is a fact but it's not a very useful one. More useful but wold comparing how many meters two props make but even then that is hard because without knowing how many minutes they play compared to each other you don't know the full story.

Stats are designed to be interpreted. They don't actually mean anything unless you do.

The stats the club is showing of Isa are selective in that none of the negative ones are shown so taken on their own they make him out to be a better player than he is.

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wintergreen wrote: In a salary capped sport, players like him are vital.
Vital is putting it bit strong. Necessary maybe!
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

DaveO wrote:
Wintergreen wrote: In a salary capped sport, players like him are vital.
Vital is putting it bit strong. Necessary maybe!
Sorry Dave but in any sport there are always unsung players such as Willie,not the flashiest,not the one the kids have on the latest shirt but a player who just does his job.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Id agree with Vital hes solid and not flashy. Someone mentioned penalties well he gave 2 away on friday on purpose to stop the cas attack
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

The way I look at it, is what would be your reaction if he signed for Saints or Warrington in the close season.

I don't think I would be to fussed, yeah an ok back up, but there are plenty kids who would also do a job.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

DaveO wrote:
morley pie eater wrote:Stats don't lie. People lie, sometimes by manipulating stats. People also sometimes misinterpret stats.
As I said stats are useless without context. As someone else said your kick returner will have much better stats for meters than other players. Yes he will have made those meters so that is a fact but it's not a very useful one. More useful but wold comparing how many meters two props make but even then that is hard because without knowing how many minutes they play compared to each other you don't know the full story.

Stats are designed to be interpreted. They don't actually mean anything unless you do.

The stats the club is showing of Isa are selective in that none of the negative ones are shown so taken on their own they make him out to be a better player than he is.
Regarding props, what about showing average gains after contact?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
jao711

Post by jao711 »

I have said before that all teams need players like Willie Isa,and he still reminds me of Mick Cassidy. He’s not a spectacular type of player and it’s only when you see the stats that you get the full picture.He’s there every week and well worth his place.