Warriors Women represent Lancashire

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Warriors Women represent Lancashire

Post by josie andrews »

Fifteen female Warriors represent Lancashire across Origin Weekend

Lancashire crowned Women’s Origin champions after 16-10 win

Tries from Wigan’s Michelle Davis and Rebecca Greenfield

Wigan Warriors Women boasted a haul of fifteen players chosen to represent Lancashire across the Origin Weekend.

Sammy Trainor and Kerri-Ann Smith represented the Women’s Championship, where Yorkshire took the bragging rights with a 28-6 victory.

The Warriors also had six U19s representing their category, Leah Smith, Georgia Simm, Megan Grace Holding, Emily Valentine, Emily Baggaley and Ellise Wright all featuring but Yorkshire took the win 54-14.

In the Women’s Origin, Wigan had a further six representatives. Wigan full-back Rebecca Greenfield started, playing on the wing for Lancashire. Michelle Davis and Lucy Baggaley, who have both played every match for the Warriors, also earned starting places. Vanessa Temple, Georgia Wilson and England International, Rachel Thompson were all utilised from the interchange bench.

Michelle Davis got the opening try of the game for Lancashire, after finding space on the right wing to go over, the try successfully converted to put the red roses 6-0 up. Yorkshire were back in it just a few minutes later as a converted Lois Forsell effort drew the scores to 6-6 at half time. Yorkshire went over again in the second forty, Hepworth with the score. Wigan’s Rebecca Greenfield went over to put Lancashire ahead though, latching on to an excellent pass to dart over. Greenfield then turned provider to seal the victory for Lancashire, sending Naomi Williams over in the corner to make it 16-10 on the final hooter.

Wigan head coach, Amanda Wilkinson, said: “This is the type of opportunity that you’ve got to take. I spoke to the Wigan players and said they had to come together as a Lancashire team and play alongside their rivals, but you’ve got to go out there and fight for your spot at the Rugby League World Cup.” “It was all about individual performance today and giving it the best that you can.”

Two Wigan players were on the scoresheet in the Women’s origin, and the head coach had plenty of praise for her players: “It is quite a high level to play at for someone who is still new to the game but I thought Georgia (Wilson) went out there and held her own and did what she needed to do.”

“Becky (Greenfield) got a chance at full back which was a big opportunity for her as Tara Stanley is a class player at full back so she went in there and played well, I’m really pleased she got over the line too. Rachel (Thompson) came on at 13 carrying a slight injury, but she gave it everything in her spell on the pitch, I couldn’t have asked for anything more than that.”

She added: “Michelle (Davis) has been outstanding for Wigan this season, then players come to this level of competition and you are unsure how they are going to perform in the new surroundings. Michelle was class today, she did her typical stuff that she does well, she does the basics well, she defends, attacks well with the ball and she deserved to get over for the try.”

“Vanessa (Temple) also made a difference in defence, she came on for a tired Andrea Dobson and had big boots to fill there, but she went on and did really well, worked at marker and her effort is just second to none.” On her players moving forward, she said: “I think the six girls who played today will have gained a lot of confidence out of the game. Some of them came in with not a lot of confidence, they still don’t believe they’re as good some of the other girls out there so I think this game will have changed that.”

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2018- ... PQRHwWG.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan