Farrell 2nd row???? Opinions....

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Pengy

Farrell 2nd row???? Opinions....

Post by Pengy »

Ive been saying it for a while now along with others that i farrell should be moved back in to 2nd row and concentrate what he does best ,running on to the ball at speed outwide. Just watching the gb and nz test series you could see that but also watching the andy farrell testimonial on sky sports showed how good he used to be in the 2nd posistion. He used to be a monster, he has lost alot of weight since then. We should put that weight back on him and get him back in 2nd row. He is unstopable there and it would be better all round for Wigan and Great Britian. What does everyone think...?
AJ

WHY NITUSA?

Post by AJ »

why leave faz where he is, when he was so good in the test series as a 2nd rower, but also, when he came back after his lay off raper was using him outwide as a second rower and he was devastatin, even bloody stevo passed comment on wigan looking good, thats how much of a difference there is!

i agree pengy!
Tipstar Champion 2002 !!!
stiz

Faz For 2nd row

Post by stiz »

I agree Faz is a stronger runnr playing in the 2nd row and I think he will play a couple of games there to help develope Sean O'loughlin in the loose forward position. We have not been in this position for a long time having such good forwards battling for positions.
Pengy

Weight?

Post by Pengy »

Farrell isnt as strong as he used to be. You see people half his size picking farrell up these days. HGe doesnt really have to be mobile playing second row. As long as he can keep speed then he will be fine.
John M

Strength

Post by John M »

Farrell is certainly no wimp but for his size you would expect him to be more robust.He certainly doesnt have that fend that he used to have a few years ago but nowadays players are better at one on one tackling.
Monie is God!

Long live Monie the king!!
DaveO

You have to laugh

Post by DaveO »

I think some people should take a bit if time and search out their postings and see what they have had to say against Farrell over the last two seasons or so and try and square it with the fact is is one of the best players in GB.

He has been called for getting too involved. Going into hiding when the it gets tough. Now hes not big enough, is easily picked up by smaller players and has lost his fend.

Any advance on the above?

A newbie to the game of RL reading Wigan fans comments on him would think he was a pile of dung.

As to the question of second row or loose - Wigan are no-longer GB (as they just about were at one time) and so you have to pick the team for the overall good and I think that will mean Raper will stick with him at loose forward as he will judge the youngsters not good enough.

He may emulate Waite playing him in the second row to give O'Loughlin and Tickle a run at loose once and a while and he may do it if injuries take him down that route, but I think he will play Faz as first choice loose in the majority of games.

If things don't go so well in a game (as must happen in an even competition every now and then) I dare say Faz will get blamed for doing too much again when in reality it will be him, Radlinski and one or two others trying to rescue the situation when the rest can't be bothered or just plain can't.

Dave
Pengy

I dont understand

Post by Pengy »

Dave, you say he will judge the youngsters not good enougb but it would be the same player being picked but just playing a different posistion. Dannt tickle is likely to be startin 2nd row next year but we could just swap him and farrell around. If he's good enough to start for wigan playing 2nd row then im sure hell be good enough to play loose forward which is his best posistion.
Pengy

LOL

Post by Pengy »

Nitsua, just out of curiosity could you tell me which team which players 2 and 3 defenders he went through to score tries? Do you get to watch all the wigan matches? Or are you just judging him off the games that you actually see on sky?
AJ

not really nitusa

Post by AJ »

it seems like anyone who dares to voice an opinion of anyone who plays for the club WE ALL LOVE (wigan) which is anything less than blind praise is shot down.

nitusa would you seriously be able to defend faz like you do, if he didnt play for wigan and say played for hull?

also i dont remember him charging runs liek u suggest

howeva in the test series in the SECOND ROW, he was devasting as that is what he is gud at running hard with the ball

cass n faz 2nd row with loccy at 13 for me!
Tipstar Champion 2002 !!!
Welski

Farrell and those "charging runs"!!

Post by Welski »

I remember seeing a couple of try's Mr Farrell scored where he fended off two or three players and barged his way to the line on that Farrell testimonial special programme thingy Sky Sports did over Christmas?(I'm sure it was last season although I was watching it over a few glasses of mulled wine)

But it has to be said at the moment he doesnt have the same impact he used to in that respect then again it is a team game and he was playing in a far better team then. Firstly he would have been expending less energy overall throughout the game as he would have had other players around him doing more in addition and perhaps more importantly our opponents these days know that if you stop Farrell you go a long way to stopping Wigan.

Having said all that I wouldnt swap him for anyone currently playing the game.
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League