Worst ever Wigan #7??

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Worst ever Wigan #7??

Post by DaveO »

Worst ever? No idea. What I do know is in the modern era there is a long list who were better.

I'd even go as far as saying Moran was a better half but was totally misused by Wigan and in a way that is a similar problem Powell has. When Wane picked him at 7 there was little enthusiasm on this forum for it and it has been proved correct.

Plenty of posters on here have watched the game for decades and can well spot good players and poor players. Yet despite the fact it must be obvious he is not the answer at 7 they defend the fact he is our 7. Call a spade a spade. Wane screwed up picking him at 7 and when he's gone I doubt Powell will retain the position long term He's just not got the silks for it. He's not fast and his passing is poor. Yes he can make 60 tackles but so could Andy Gregory or Edwards.

As to the thread being in poor taste there is a large dose of hypocrisy about that. It's always open season on players who dare leave the club for example. No holds barred on that.

In any case any player who reads social media fan sites needs his head testing. Not the place to go because there isn't one player however good or bad who doesn't get slagged off for something.
ian b

Post by ian b »

its not right to slate players in my opinion.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Do I think Powell is the best number 7 to play for Wigan ever?no he’s not,nor is the golden child Williams the best number 6 either,I’ve got news for the tiresome bores who drone on about how poor the lad is,he gives it his all and for that alone he gets my respect,but we are in a salary capped sport and at present he’s the best the club can afford,he does all that’s asked of him he is a coaches dream player I would think.

It’s got as boring as the “blame Marty Smith” brigade droning on and on about how poor he is etc time to change the record and move on.

Have I criticised Powell?yup I have as I have,at points through the season had my say about most if not all of them,even Willie Isa a bloke he is my favourite player and has been for a couple of years now,but it resets at each match and I hope the player who got a volley from me plays better that game,ultimately it’s a team sport and while you can certainly have a pop at aspects of the team by all means enough with the vendettas.

If Powell does move on whoever signs him will have bought a solid play anywhere player who’ll do a good job for them
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

Never understood this constant rubbishing of Powell . Honest lad who puts in a shift week in week out and his defender is excellent. Not the flair player of the team but does a job for us .

Regards EW
2002 and EW is hooked
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

A great tackler does amazing amount of work in every game deserves his place in the team, sick of people slagging him off.
ian b

Post by ian b »

ddtftf wrote:A great tackler does amazing amount of work in every game deserves his place in the team, sick of people slagging him off.
correct
doc

Post by doc »

With regards to Moran, he made his name due to being an excellent support player and was always on the shoulder of whoever made a break when he played for London. Wigan tried to play him as an organising half-back, a task for which he clearly did not have the skill set.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

"Worst Ever" is always arbitrary

Powell is the sort of player Super League is littered with but always needed. A great squad player. Therein lies his issue. Should he or is he a starting hooker or half?

I would assume all the speculation surrounding a new scrum half must indicate a change of attitude to certain players positions and who they rotate with.

No issue with Powell coming off the bench to spell the hooker (or starting there to rest later). To spell with your first choice half - not really. Solid, dependable and grafter without that spark that makes him automatic first choice as playmaker

As for debatable number sevens. The obvious Moran always gets mentioned but as doc and Daveo said was totally misused and signed for dodgy reasons )as he often won London's games for them against Wigan).

Poor players (IMO) are Martin Crompton, Gavin Clinch and Craig Murdock for varying reasons very similar to those of Powell
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
jao 711

Post by jao 711 »

ancientnloyal wrote:Would anyone suggest that Sam Powell may hold this title? He isn’t a number 7 let’s face it... but despite our embarrassment of riches in this position over the years who has been the poorest scrum half?
. I don’t know about the “ancient””but you’re not very “loyal”
pedro

Post by pedro »

reber and moran were both far worse