Worst ever Wigan #7??

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ancientnloyal

Worst ever Wigan #7??

Post by ancientnloyal »

Would anyone suggest that Sam Powell may hold this title? He isn’t a number 7 let’s face it... but despite our embarrassment of riches in this position over the years who has been the poorest scrum half?
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Mary from Wigan

Re: Worst ever Wigan #7??

Post by Mary from Wigan »

Why are people so unkind, do they understand the damage they can cause to these players who give their all week in week out. Powel is outstanding in defence and the coach decided which position he plays. I wish people would give a little thought before they make statements like this.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Mary from Wigan wrote:Why are people so unkind, do they understand the damage they can cause to these players who give their all week in week out. Powel is outstanding in defence and the coach decided which position he plays. I wish people would give a little thought before they make statements like this.
Me too Mary!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Lazy J

Post by Lazy J »

The same Powell that was playing well at half before we went down under to play the roosters, at that time he was a major loss when he got injured. Since then he has been moved between half and hooker, played injured, and never given less than 100%

I feel Powell has been unlucky in that he has been asked to carry out roles for the team, and on the whole done them well, but for some reason has become the target of the boo boys. Then again I remember the pop side of Central Park decided Edwards was rubbish and booed him every time he got the ball.

We need a scapegoat it’s been smith recently, Green was crap and not Wigan standard for a season, Williams has come in for stick, Wigan fans are happiest when moaning, look how quiet the board was after we battered saints.

If the rumours are correct and he is going to Salford, I wish him well, and feel a little sorry for him, his flexibility and willingness to play anywhere and do the hard graft in the middle may have lead to his downfall as a half back, early in his career he was a very good scrum half.
There are 10 types of people, those who get binary and those who dont!
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

I agree about Powel made around 60 tackles in the Saints V Wigan match I think Clubb made 4
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

ancientnloyal wrote:Would anyone suggest that Sam Powell may hold this title? He isn’t a number 7 let’s face it... but despite our embarrassment of riches in this position over the years who has been the poorest scrum half?
I am unsure what the reason for a post like this is.Saying you are not a fan of a certain player is one thing but trying to ridicule someone by saying they are the worst ever is unnecessary.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I hate these types of post where a player is is wrongly maligned!

He gives nothing less than 100% every game yet 'fans' seem to see what they want & give criticism for everything.

If a player plays for your team, please give them your full support, whether you like them personally or not!

Just because they aren't flamboyant enough for some, they make them out as a bad player!

Support your TEAM! That means everyone involved from management, coaches, players, backroom staff etc.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

He is nowhere near the worst #7 we have had.

Gives his all and a good squad player. I'm happy to see him in the side.

Not a superstar, but how many are thesedays?
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

Yeah, not a big fan of his but he's not the worst 7 as he isn't a 7. In fact he isn't good enough for Wigan but Wane is a big fan due to his defence.

As for the worst, Dennis Moran maybe.

A better topic would be best ever.... Andy Gregory.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Disgraceful thread and sentiment.
Powell is a very long way from Wigan's worst ever 7 and those who could fit that title will never ever get named by me.
Powell puts in so much effort on Wigan's and us supporters behalf I simply don't know how anyone could sit down and write such mendacious nonsense.
Dreadful!