Coach of the year

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Exiled Wiganer

Re: Coach of the year

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Congratulations to Shaun, but I am a bit surprised given that we haven't won either of the 2 prizes thus far. Indeed, his announcement seemed to re rail the team for a month or so in which we surrendered against Wire in the cup, and lost too many games to finish top. That said, it has been an incomparably more enjoyable year than last year, and there is more to come. As an ancient and loyal servant of the club, he can walk away head held high.

I also think Bateman was a far better choice for MoS, but it is the players who vote, not Sky. As for Sam, if they had a prize for pointing and talking he would certainly have won that. Personally, I am looking forward to seeing us play with a running full back next year.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

fozzieskem wrote:It’s the players that vote for the man of steel isn’t it?

Blame them not sky for Barba winning it,let’s be fair the first half of the season he was a joy to watch,but no way anyone could keep that form up,it was a pleasure to have seen him play,I’d much sooner have him roasting Wigan’s or whoever’s defence than a plodder such as Wilkin or LMS.

Anyway well done to Shaun well deserved.

Maybe a question for a thread of its own have wigan made a huge mistake in letting Wane go?for all the social media know it alls that proclaim Wane has “lost the dressing room”etc it’s clear to a blind man that team would run through a brick wall then ask for cement to rebuild it so they could run through it again,yes the rugby isn’t pretty at times but it’s successful,he got the very best out of a side that isn’t full of natural talent.

As for Tomkins while I would live to see Hardaker in a wigan shirt the decision to let Sam go by wigan is bordering on abject stupidity,sometimes you back a horse that loses in the hope it comes good,it did and then some so you get it a new bag of hay,the size of hay it’s used to and perhaps a bit more hay to sweeten the deal and the horse stays not bugger off down to the south of France.

That move will haunt wigan next season it really will,for me Tomkins has been the best player this season he’s been a class apart.

Good and accurate views - there's no way Hardaker can organize and shout the defence into shape, as Sam does.
Notice this more when he doesn't play, and that worries me for next season.
Congrats to Wane, a well earned, parting tribute.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Well done to Shaun of course.

I would have thought McNamara had a good chance this year from Million Pound game to CCup win.

Warrington well, it’s always their year! Must have done great community work and stuff you don’t see well.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Fujiman wrote:Well done Shaun. Great way to go out. Now just add the Super League Grand Final as well :D
Well-deserved and good luck in Scotland, SW.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
ian b

Post by ian b »

josie andrews wrote:Barba MoS! What a load of ???? He couldn’t tackle a hot dinner! Talk about living up to Sky’s promotion of him ????

He’s like an open gate for a full back!
total bullshit
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Well done to Shaun.
My pick would of been McNamara. I’m not a big fan of his but the way he turned their season round and to win their first cup it’s a good achievement
pedro

Post by pedro »

fozzieskem wrote:It’s the players that vote for the man of steel isn’t it?

Blame them not sky for Barba winning it,let’s be fair the first half of the season he was a joy to watch,but no way anyone could keep that form up,it was a pleasure to have seen him play,I’d much sooner have him roasting Wigan’s or whoever’s defence than a plodder such as Wilkin or LMS.

Anyway well done to Shaun well deserved.

Maybe a question for a thread of its own have wigan made a huge mistake in letting Wane go?for all the social media know it alls that proclaim Wane has “lost the dressing room”etc it’s clear to a blind man that team would run through a brick wall then ask for cement to rebuild it so they could run through it again,yes the rugby isn’t pretty at times but it’s successful,he got the very best out of a side that isn’t full of natural talent.

As for Tomkins while I would live to see Hardaker in a wigan shirt the decision to let Sam go by wigan is bordering on abject stupidity,sometimes you back a horse that loses in the hope it comes good,it did and then some so you get it a new bag of hay,the size of hay it’s used to and perhaps a bit more hay to sweeten the deal and the horse stays not bugger off down to the south of France.

That move will haunt wigan next season it really will,for me Tomkins has been the best player this season he’s been a class apart.
its garbage...saw the votes today, everyone voting for their mates. hall voted McGuire and Crosby voted Hughes, think it should go back to the journalists as that is a joke.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

And yet when footballers choose the PFA Player of the Year, ot whatever it's called, it all seems to go off and everyone is satisfied. But I agree, if people are just being facetious about it, it makes a mockery. So there was no official short-list as such then? Would it not be better if there was one?
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

moto748 wrote:And yet when footballers choose the PFA Player of the Year, ot whatever it's called, it all seems to go off and everyone is satisfied. But I agree, if people are just being facetious about it, it makes a mockery. So there was no official short-list as such then? Would it not be better if there was one?

And who draws up the short list ? There'd be comments from across the board by opposing fans ?
If football can have a comparatively free players vote, why can't they do the same in RL, without all this controversy ?