Its bloody embarrassing

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ddtftf

Its bloody embarrassing

Post by ddtftf »

The rule of players deliberately walking over a player on the play the ball and playing it into the player to get a penalty or deliberately passing into a player lying on the ground need to be stopped NOW its Pathetic and makes our game looks embarrassing . And stop this stupid jumping up and down when tackled and no one is holding down Louis M Scarsbrook does this all the time and waving arms at referees, its a mans game grow up. :evil: :evil: :evil:
fozzieskem

Re: Its bloody embarrassing

Post by fozzieskem »

Agreed,it’s got to the point it’s spoiling the game as a awhole they all do it so it’s time to put an end to it.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I agree it's an issue, but I don't see that there's a simple fix. It's not a black and white issue, there is a spectrum of behaviour. Yes, it looks bad when dummy halves throw the ball into players, but at the same time players do cynically lie in the ruck and make little effort to get away at times. Those who do should not escape censure because of the OTT behaviour of opposing dummy-halves. When a dummy-half does throw the ball at a player when clearly not attempting to pass to a teammate (I've see the ball thrown forward into opponents at times!), yes, I'd be happy to see that penalised. Likewise, players cynically slowing the ruck by lying in should also be penalised. In other words, it has to be on a case-by-case nature.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

The Aussies have sorted out the play the ball this year. We should insist that the tackled player stands up before propelling the ball with his/her foot. This is one of the key elements of our game which separates it from union and it should be done properly. The onus should be on the player picking up the ball to play on if at all possible. I'm hopeful that Elstone and Co are already considering this for next season. I think they're even considering using two refs as well but that's a discussion for another post.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Get rid of that free play rubbish and bring the corner flag back into play
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

medlocke wrote:Get rid of that free play rubbish and bring the corner flag back into play
I think the free play should go it never works players just end up hoofing the ball down field

I like the corner flag rule though because of the try's you get

For me its the feigning injury that wis creeping in that bothers me, used to be Danny Maguire on his own cheating but loads of players are joining in now
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:
medlocke wrote:Get rid of that free play rubbish and bring the corner flag back into play
I think the free play should go it never works players just end up hoofing the ball down field

I like the corner flag rule though because of the try's you get

For me its the feigning injury that wis creeping in that bothers me, used to be Danny Maguire on his own cheating but loads of players are joining in now
I agree with the feigning injury being a massive issue. In a sport that has the type of contact that league does it makes it very difficult to judge if a player is actually hurt.

A wire player did it at the GF and as soon as he realised he wasnt going to get the player sent off he was up and fine. It is something the match review panel should be able to look but sadly its extremely hard to prove someone is faking.

But then again in think that anyone trying to buy a penalty in a unsporting way ( Richardson chucking the ball at lockers as he stood up/ Lockers letting go of the ball as to many hands in the tackle (both easter game) should be penalised.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

The biggest problem is just how much an advantage a penalty is, especially at the moment where defences are so good.

A penalty gets you field position and another 6 tackles. Its too much of an advantage. If you get a penalty you should get an option of either kicking for touch and staying at whatever tackle your on, or resetting the count from the position your on.

We need to stop the breaks in play, every time there's a break the team have a discussion and we just have to sit and wait. Games never used to stop and if there was a penalty it was often a quick tap.

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

First Try Tickle wrote:The biggest problem is just how much an advantage a penalty is, especially at the moment where defences are so good.

A penalty gets you field position and another 6 tackles. Its too much of an advantage. If you get a penalty you should get an option of either kicking for touch and staying at whatever tackle your on, or resetting the count from the position your on.

We need to stop the breaks in play, every time there's a break the team have a discussion and we just have to sit and wait. Games never used to stop and if there was a penalty it was often a quick tap.
Can't see how your suggestion would work in practice.

If a team is on the attack and is 20m form the line and they win a penalty they will either go for goal or take a tap. Rarely do they kick the ball sideways to take the tap. So no difference with your rule change.

They might kick it backwards on rare occasions to give more room and if you remove that option they are at a disadvantage compared to now (but then I can't remember the last time I saw a side to do this).

If the team is bringing the ball out of defence on their own 20m line and win a penalty on say the 4th tackle, kicking for touch and then having only two tackles left from the restart is not going to be much of an advantage as the defence is set. With the defence inevitably set form a penalty I think it is fair the attacking side now gets 6 tackles to break it open.

If the defending side is all over the place on the 4th they are better off giving away a penalty in the knowledge that either the attacking side is still going to be in the 20m area if they opt for the extra six tackles or they only have two left if they kick knowing in both cases they can organise their defensive line.

It could also see the defending side giving penalties aways deliberately on the last tackle when trying to run the clock down at the end of a close game to pin the opposition in their own 20m.
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

The problem with teams kicking for touch and then starting the 6 tackles again, is that we usually get another 3 drives. If the penalty was on the 3rd then that's 6 drives in a row, which isn't the most exiting.

I know teams will come up with an idea how to use it to their advantage, but that's happening at the moment. It also happened years ago with the Murphy/Ashurst cup final, where if you kicked for touch it was a scrum.