Alternate Season Awards

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
4 Generations

Re: Alternate Season Awards

Post by 4 Generations »

Sam had an excellent game Saturday and should be in with a great shout for England spot .

4G
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Sam Powell prefers to play hooker since doing the full season there when Micky Mac got injured

Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

DaveO wrote:
thegimble wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote: ...and then we might win things.....oh wait!!
Wane does drop his favourites. Joel got shot asap when we could bring in Greenwood under the cap. Favouritism excuse is so wrong.

Did Wane do the right thing in dropping TT for Romain or was it favouritism. Might not like the way we play at times. But Wane put the team first every time.
It was IL who sacked Joel, not Wane. We all know by now who stays, goes and is recruited is decided by IL and Rads. It will be IL and Rads who decide Hardakers future, not Lam.

I wonder what Wane would have done had Marshall and Isa been fit? I have always thought Wane picked the best team when he has had 17 fit players and no more! Have a choice and he might have convinced himself either of those two deserved a place due to earlier seasons efforts or whatever and I don't think we'd have won had they played because much as I love Marshall's finishing Dom is the better defender and Isa is not as good as any of the back rows who played.

Lets not forget it took an entire season for Wane to realise Powell isn't a 7 having given him the shirt based on nothing and he came up with the "switcheroo" so he could alternate the hooking and get Escare on the pitch. Was the fact Powell was given the 7 shirt based on favouritism? First name on the team sheet I believe. I have no idea but it was a mistake and it's selections like that I am looking forward to having seen the last of.
Do you think it was a coincidence we changed just before the playoffs? I don't. For several seasons we've changed our look and style at the end of the season and often that has lead to a late season charge. IMO that has been intentional and planned by the coaching staff. Saints didn't change anything and they went stale.

I'd say in this format it's a good idea to play below your potential for the first 2/3rds then change it up for the real games at the end. We we're the best team in the last 1/3rd winning I think 11 in a row. I think it's a genuine thought out strategy.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

4 Generations wrote:Sam had an excellent game Saturday and should be in with a great shout for England spot .

4G
Don’t be ridiculous, he is an alcoholic pointer and shouter and that’s it! :wink:
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Mike wrote:
DaveO wrote:
thegimble wrote: Wane does drop his favourites. Joel got shot asap when we could bring in Greenwood under the cap. Favouritism excuse is so wrong.

Did Wane do the right thing in dropping TT for Romain or was it favouritism. Might not like the way we play at times. But Wane put the team first every time.
It was IL who sacked Joel, not Wane. We all know by now who stays, goes and is recruited is decided by IL and Rads. It will be IL and Rads who decide Hardakers future, not Lam.

I wonder what Wane would have done had Marshall and Isa been fit? I have always thought Wane picked the best team when he has had 17 fit players and no more! Have a choice and he might have convinced himself either of those two deserved a place due to earlier seasons efforts or whatever and I don't think we'd have won had they played because much as I love Marshall's finishing Dom is the better defender and Isa is not as good as any of the back rows who played.

Lets not forget it took an entire season for Wane to realise Powell isn't a 7 having given him the shirt based on nothing and he came up with the "switcheroo" so he could alternate the hooking and get Escare on the pitch. Was the fact Powell was given the 7 shirt based on favouritism? First name on the team sheet I believe. I have no idea but it was a mistake and it's selections like that I am looking forward to having seen the last of.
Do you think it was a coincidence we changed just before the playoffs? I don't. For several seasons we've changed our look and style at the end of the season and often that has lead to a late season charge. IMO that has been intentional and planned by the coaching staff. Saints didn't change anything and they went stale.

I'd say in this format it's a good idea to play below your potential for the first 2/3rds then change it up for the real games at the end. We we're the best team in the last 1/3rd winning I think 11 in a row. I think it's a genuine thought out strategy.
You are not being serious are you? How do you instruct a player and the team to play to 2/3 of his/their potential? I think you are confusing pacing yourself with what actually happened in reality. The suggestion Wane deliberately picked a sub-par formation with Powell at 7 etc as some master plan because this would mean the team was only playing at 2/3 throttle is pure fantasy.

What happened is obvious. He finally woke up and realised Powell is not a 7. Sometimes the simple answer is the truth.

We also benefited by the signing of Greenwood which meant we went into the latter 1/3 of the season with one of the best, if not the best, back rows in the league and we had no injury crisis because Manfreddi replaced Marshall and Isa was not missed either.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

DaveO wrote:
Mike wrote:
DaveO wrote: It was IL who sacked Joel, not Wane. We all know by now who stays, goes and is recruited is decided by IL and Rads. It will be IL and Rads who decide Hardakers future, not Lam.

You are not being serious are you? How do you instruct a player and the team to play to 2/3 of his/their potential? I think you are confusing pacing yourself with what actually happened in reality. The suggestion Wane deliberately picked a sub-par formation with Powell at 7 etc as some master plan because this would mean the team was only playing at 2/3 throttle is pure fantasy.

What happened is obvious. He finally woke up and realised Powell is not a 7. Sometimes the simple answer is the truth.

We also benefited by the signing of Greenwood which meant we went into the latter 1/3 of the season with one of the best, if not the best, back rows in the league and we had no injury crisis because Manfreddi replaced Marshall and Isa was not missed either.
Really. You dismiss this out of hand because it makes Want a better coach that you thought. The stats say he is BTW.

We've certainly performed better in the later parts of the season throughout his tenure than in the early season. We've also often suddenly introduced new plays and tactics for the playoffs in most years.

The first aim is to be in the top 4 (or whatever it happens to be that year). Then the aim is to raise your game for the playoffs. Why would you show your hand in the early season and let everyone work it out? Seems like a sensible strategy to me.

I'm not saying Wanes style is anything more than strong motivational defensive ephasis and not much invention in attack, but I don't think hes as dumb as you do. You clearly think any success has been despite Wane or he just got lucky. The evidence I've seen on the field over the last 7 years has a pattern to it, and the style Wane plays is provably successful so although I'd prefer something a bit different I have to accept that he's a very good coach with a very good understanding of the game. And good coaches have a plan for each year.

BTW I like the way you've said that I said he's asked players to play at 2/3rds of their ability and then helpfully pointed out that I'm stupid to say that. Thanks for that deliberate misrepresentation of my post. Holding back tactical changes is obviously harder for you to claim as a fantasy so it's great to see you creating an argument for me that is easier for you to knock down. Im guessing I'm going to be wrong about this too and that I did say he's asking players to play at 2/3rds capacity and if I say I didn't im an idiot. :lol:
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
4 Generations wrote:Sam had an excellent game Saturday and should be in with a great shout for England spot .

4G
Don’t be ridiculous, he is an alcoholic pointer and shouter and that’s it! :wink:
Well he certainly isn’t a running thread.

Grand final stats for full backs:

Ratchford - 18 runs 173m
Escare - 5 runs 68m
Your Hero - 11 runs 46m

(He was also the only fullback to make an error and give penalties away, and was lucky not to be sin binned.)

If only they did stats for waiting for a winger to do the hard yards for you, talking and pointing then we would get a true picture of his greatness.

4 Generations

Post by 4 Generations »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:

4G

Ratchford - 18 runs 173m
Escare - 5 runs 68m
Your Hero - 11 runs 46m

(He was also the only fullback to make an error and give penalties away, and was lucky not to be sin binned.)

If only they did stats for waiting for a winger to do the hard yards for you, talking and pointing then we would get a true picture of his greatness.
Im on about Sam Powell,just in case Baden Powell ever played in cherry n White :roll:

4G
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Ha! I am a fool. Sam P did play well. He is a very good 9.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:

4G

Ratchford - 18 runs 173m
Escare - 5 runs 68m
Your Hero - 11 runs 46m

It's just a shame there isn't stats for how many minutes a player has played in each game