Grand Final 2018

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Longstanding

Grand Final 2018

Post by Longstanding »

That is a game I will never forget.
Sean Wane's men just refused to lose,
rarely will you see such commitment.
It was a team win but Manfredi deserves a special mention.

4 Generations

Re: Grand Final 2018

Post by 4 Generations »

Agreed totally.
Having watched it only 10 times since getting home.I cant believe our duel try scorer didnt get MOM.Sam Powell was outstanding also and hardly got a mention.

4G
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Powell was awesome at hooker(!) and if he supplies a better attack-minded pack next season under Lam who knows he could replace the likes of Roby in the England set up.

From a neutral perspective not a great game but for us Wigan fans and for me the real story that we will remember will be Manfredi
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

I've watched it on both Sky and BBC and all the commentators including Cummings said the knees by Sam was clumsy and just a penalty. All the Wire fans thought it was a sending off.

Then the RFL decide it deserved a ban, but it can be used in a pre season friendly.

The biggest problem with this is it was headline news yesterday on the BBC. The main story about Wane has been pushed down a slot and now its all about Sam being guilty. Can the RFL not see this is negative news and just let it pass. Without another story this will stay as the headline news.
Fan4Fifty

Post by Fan4Fifty »

Whilst we are handing out compliments, and like others having watched the match back, I thought referee Robert Hicks had an excellent game. His handling of the Tomkins and Charnley "incidents" was perfect under real pressure and he never let the match get out of control. For once, ref, well done.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I genuinely think Hicks is top class,he rarely gets things wrong,and when watching it live you go back and look for a decision you don’t think is right,he has got it spot on.

Refs have a thankless task,but Hicks is top drawer and I have to say Child’s too for the most part is another who gets it right.

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Fan4Fifty wrote:Whilst we are handing out compliments, and like others having watched the match back, I thought referee Robert Hicks had an excellent game. His handling of the Tomkins and Charnley "incidents" was perfect under real pressure and he never let the match get out of control. For once, ref, well done.
Decision-wise he was oK but he always virtually ignores the offsides so both sides had a short 10. A big factor in the defensively oriented game IMO. This probably suited us more than Wire with our awesome defence and so-so attack.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

DaveO wrote:
Fan4Fifty wrote:Whilst we are handing out compliments, and like others having watched the match back, I thought referee Robert Hicks had an excellent game. His handling of the Tomkins and Charnley "incidents" was perfect under real pressure and he never let the match get out of control. For once, ref, well done.
Decision-wise he was oK but he always virtually ignores the offsides so both sides had a short 10. A big factor in the defensively oriented game IMO. This probably suited us more than Wire with our awesome defence and so-so attack.

Thaler ref'd us v Cas S/F !

josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Nezza Faz wrote:
DaveO wrote:

Thaler ref'd us v Cas S/F !
?? Why have you brought up Thaler refereeing the Castleford semi final? Have I missed something? Thought these couple of posts were about Robert Hicks?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

4 Generations wrote:Agreed totally.
Having watched it only 10 times since getting home.I cant believe our duel try scorer didnt get MOM.Sam Powell was outstanding also and hardly got a mention.

4G
But who was he fighting?
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.