Leeds interested in Sean O'L!!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ancientnloyal

Re: Leeds interested in Sean O'L!!

Post by ancientnloyal »

Surely he would be a quick fix for Leeds why would they rebuild and have Sean there when he’d play half a season and now not even 80 minutes.

I can’t see this.

Saying that we have had two main Captains since 1998: Farrell and O’Loughlin. Who would be our next man for a decade?
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

josie andrews wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
josie andrews wrote:He hasn’t signed a contract or been offered one from Wigan either playing or coaching! ????
That's not what we were told previously https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... -1-8782670
Look at the date 01.10.2017 on that link.

I asked him point blank on Monday night & that is the answer he gave me.
Josie, I don't doubt what you say is 100% true. However, I would still like to know why both Lockers and IFL made the following comments if they were not true!

Chairman Ian Lenagan confirmed O’Loughlin - who made his 400th appearance for Wigan earlier this year - will see out his playing career at the club. O’Loughlin said: “I’m a Wigan lad, to be here so long is a privilege and it’s great that I’ll see out my career here.” The England skipper had already agreed to take a coaching role at the club, once he hangs up his boots, as part of his last contract.

Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
josie andrews wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote: That's not what we were told previously https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... -1-8782670

Josie, I don't doubt what you say is 100% true. However, I would still like to know why both Lockers and IFL made the following comments if they were not true!

Chairman Ian Lenagan confirmed O’Loughlin - who made his 400th appearance for Wigan earlier this year - will see out his playing career at the club. O’Loughlin said: “I’m a Wigan lad, to be here so long is a privilege and it’s great that I’ll see out my career here.” The England skipper had already agreed to take a coaching role at the club, once he hangs up his boots, as part of his last contract.
I know, I was confused too on Monday. When I asked all the questions & questioned his answers, he just put his hands up & shrugged his shoulders & said he doesn’t know yet.

I dont why everything has to be secretive or last minute.

I know players can’t divulge everything what is going on, perhaps that’s why he said he didn’t know what was happening.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

wall_of_voodoo wrote:
josie andrews wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote: That's not what we were told previously https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... -1-8782670

josie andrews wrote:Spoke to him tonight, he says he doesn’t know where all these stories the last few days are coming from as he hasn’t signed anything yet & hopefully everything will be sorted for next week.

Obviously he’s not going to come out & announce anything before the club announcement.

But when he came over to the East stand after the game he was banging his Wigan badge with pride.
Josie

I posted the above from you when I posted about Canberra announcing John Bateman had signed for them.

You post was one month prior to him actually confirming he was leaving Wigan despite Canberra actually announcing that at that time as "their player"

You just need to know that while players probably enjoy your company and like you - they are not going to disclose their future plans or contract offers to someone who is simply a "fan"

Josie simply a fan its obvious you don't know her she is on very good terms with the players and their wives .I would believe her what she says she has been told things in the past off the players and kept them quite until officially announced.
up the junction

Post by up the junction »

I got told last Saturday that Lockers was going to Leeds on £150k a year approx . £60k more than Wigan had offered, this coming from someone who couldn’t be anymore in the know if they tried. No way was I going to post it on Grand final day , but later the same day I was told by a different source that Lockers had gone back to Wigan for an improved offer as they basically crapped it when Leeds came in . I’m guessing they where playing on Lockers Loyalty and age . I’m only posting what I was told by the way ,and I don’t claim to be in the know.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

up the junction wrote:I got told last Saturday that Lockers was going to Leeds on £150k a year approx . £60k more than Wigan had offered, this coming from someone who couldn’t be anymore in the know if they tried. No way was I going to post it on Grand final day , but later the same day I was told by a different source that Lockers had gone back to Wigan for an improved offer as they basically crapped it when Leeds came in . I’m guessing they where playing on Lockers Loyalty and age . I’m only posting what I was told by the way ,and I don’t claim to be in the know.
It will depend on the length of the contract. I'm a very big O'Loughlin fan but would only give him a one year, he'll be 36 next month. If Leeds want to give him a two or three year deal on that sort of money then I would thank him and wish him well.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

No straw damn us wrote:
up the junction wrote:I got told last Saturday that Lockers was going to Leeds on £150k a year approx . £60k more than Wigan had offered, this coming from someone who couldn’t be anymore in the know if they tried. No way was I going to post it on Grand final day , but later the same day I was told by a different source that Lockers had gone back to Wigan for an improved offer as they basically crapped it when Leeds came in . I’m guessing they where playing on Lockers Loyalty and age . I’m only posting what I was told by the way ,and I don’t claim to be in the know.
It will depend on the length of the contract. I'm a very big O'Loughlin fan but would only give him a one year, he'll be 36 next month. If Leeds want to give him a two or three year deal on that sort of money then I would thank him and wish him well.
I would tend to agree with you. It will also depend on how the contract is structured for example does Lockers need to play X games to achieve the full salary. A further factor will be what is on offer after he retires from playing.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

No straw damn us wrote:
Well it's obviously his choice what he does if he has offers more than one offer on the table but I seriously doubt Leeds will offer a 36 year old player a three year deal.

Common sense says it's far more likely to be a one year offer with maybe the offer of a coaching role the same as Wigan supposedly offered.

It's then up to Wigan to decide if they want to match it. If as the post above says, Wigan "basically crapped it when Leeds came in" then they probably hold the same view as me that given who has left this season we can't afford to lose Lockers as well.

This is a smart move by Leeds. At worst they will have forced Wigan to pay more to keep Lockers and even if there is a dispensation and paying him higher wages don't affect the cap, it's still reducing the ability the club has to offer higher wages elsewhere given it is making a loss.

At best Leeds get a player who can help them rebuild and at the same time weaken Wigan. Win-win for Leeds.

The bottom line is this. The only reason Wigan are now in a bidding war for Lockers is they didn't agree and sign a contract back when it was announced he'd finish his career here when both parties were happy with that outcome. The prevarication looks like it's going to cost them at least £50K or the player.

southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

We should be able to offer Sean a decent deal given his importance to the club both on and off the field but sport is a ruthless business and I'm sure the chairman has a figure in his mind that he's not prepared to go beyond. I want Lockers to stay but let's just play devil's advocate for a minute:

Sean is likely to play less games next season and it's not just the number of games you have to bear in mind because he's not an 80 min player anymore. How many of us expect him to last all three tests and what effect will playing in these have on his ability to last next season? Don't get me wrong, I don't blame him for playing but at his age it won't benefit the club next season. This season, unlike previous seasons, we have won games without him although of course we did have Sam and Batty. We still don't seem to have a replacement 'in house', another season with Sean with give us more time. Would Leeds get the same value from him that we do? Could it be beneficial to both Sean and Wigan if he has a season or two at Leeds before returning to us in some coaching capacity? He could experience a different system and see how Furner approaches coaching. I hope he stays but I'm glad I'm not in the chairman's shoes because I can see both sides.
markill

Post by markill »

I think it's shown complacency on all fronts apart from Lockers' agent and Leeds. Lockers' Wigan deal includes an option to play on next year, so Wigan didn't need to offer him a new deal, but there obviously was no enforceability of that from the club if his agent went and got more money offered than in the Wigan deal. The club must have just assumed he'll either play on or take up a coaching role, not thinking that another club would come in for him. I don't think it's about length of contract, Leeds are simply putting more money on the table.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod