Leeds interested in Sean O'L!!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Exiled Wiganer

Re: Leeds interested in Sean O'L!!

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Well it’s the Thursday after a grand final win so the traditional moaners have had nearly a week to stick the knife into the club.
I think the management have done more than enough to deserve our trust. Sarg for Gelling was madness - he did a good enough job for mine. We would collapse without McIllorum - Powell can instagram him a picture of his winner’s ring. No more project players - Navarette and Hamlin were central to our becoming champions.... and so on.
For the first time in a long time we have 2 coaches who know how to put a play making spine together, and bring out the best from Williams, Tommy, Powell, Escare, Woods and co. Look at what we have done with no attacking or expert play maker coaching. I for one can’t wait to see it.
If Lockers goes, he can walk out with head held high as a legend of the club. If he stays I am sure he will continue to be a valuable asset.
I am relaxed either way, and can’t wait to see what our new coaches have in store for us.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

markill wrote:I think it's shown complacency on all fronts apart from Lockers' agent and Leeds. Lockers' Wigan deal includes an option to play on next year, so Wigan didn't need to offer him a new deal, but there obviously was no enforceability of that from the club if his agent went and got more money offered than in the Wigan deal. The club must have just assumed he'll either play on or take up a coaching role, not thinking that another club would come in for him. I don't think it's about length of contract, Leeds are simply putting more money on the table.
Spot on. From what I have heard from those who went to the end of season dinner IL more or less said the club is skint and cuts have to be made.

So if they now face a bidding war to keep Lockers that they cannot afford and their plans were that he was integral to next season and he goes, they have screwed up.

We all know what a servant he's been but being sanguine about him leaving misses the point because like I said above, given who has left this season the club probably doesn't want to lose him.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Anyone thought that this could be the only way a Leeds player can be in the 2019 Dream Team by signing Sean?
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Dave (and others) have a point about losing too much leadership at once. But I think back to Ellery Hanley leaving and a similar manner. He ahd a fwe years left in him but they weren't his best. Eventually players either retire or move on and the club has to continue. This maybe too soon for some, but in my mind the timing is roughly right. Either this year or next year would be the time for Lockers to transition out of the side. Every era has to come to an end.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Bilko

Post by Bilko »

Wiganer Ted wrote:They have to be offering more than a playing contract.
How could working for Hetherington appeal to Lockers?
He's been playing so long that you can forget that Furner was a former team mate right at the start.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

DaveO wrote:
josie andrews wrote:He hasn’t signed a contract or been offered one from Wigan either playing or coaching! ????
All things being equal having seen how often he has missed games or only played a bit part in quite a few others you'd be expecting him to retire some time soon or the club to release him but things are not all to equal!

The team had two on-field leaders. Lockers and Sam T. Sam has gone so to allow Lockers to leave as well (or basically force him to by not offering him a deal) says someone at the club doesn't know what they are doing. Especially as Batty has gone who while not an organising leader was one of the players who also helped get Wigan over the line in tight spots.

It's as if someone at the club has an ambition to "do a Leeds" and go from champions to relegation fodder in a season.
Wasn't Leeds' problem over the past 3 years arguably that they hung on to their older players for too long? And failed to bring some of their younger ones through?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

yokozuna wrote:Think he'd be a key figure at the club during the transition period of the next few years. Even of he's only playing 50%of the games, that's enough for me.

I'm sure the new coaching staff would want him around.
But what if he plays 50% of 50% of games? (ie 40 minutes for half of our games.)
And what if his performance/contribution is on a par with what he's offered in his last 2 games for us? What is the saying . . . "You're only as good as your last game"?

Now I know I'll get shot down in flames, but these are genuine questions, and I'd put Lockers in the all-time great category.

He'll be 36 in 5 weeks time. You can't stop "the ravages of time" any more than King Cnut could stop the tide. More so for someone who has "put his body on the line" more than anyone over the past 20 years or so.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

use him like we did with Paul Deacon move him to the coaching squad and use him whenever Lammy thinks he could be of benefit.
ian b

Post by ian b »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:Well it’s the Thursday after a grand final win so the traditional moaners have had nearly a week to stick the knife into the club.
I think the management have done more than enough to deserve our trust. Sarg for Gelling was madness - he did a good enough job for mine. We would collapse without McIllorum - Powell can instagram him a picture of his winner’s ring. No more project players - Navarette and Hamlin were central to our becoming champions.... and so on.
For the first time in a long time we have 2 coaches who know how to put a play making spine together, and bring out the best from Williams, Tommy, Powell, Escare, Woods and co. Look at what we have done with no attacking or expert play maker coaching. I for one can’t wait to see it.
If Lockers goes, he can walk out with head held high as a legend of the club. If he stays I am sure he will continue to be a valuable asset.
I am relaxed either way, and can’t wait to see what our new coaches have in store for us.
ha ha good post. I love positive people. You forgot to mention how crap Mr Wane is after he's just won us another Grand Final !!!!
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

We will spend up to the salary cap so I reckon the cuts will come from elsewhere. Supporters really need to back the team and either buy season tickets or get to as many matches as they can.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards