Passwords and Security

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mike
Site Admin

Passwords and Security

Post by Mike »

Hi all

You may have noticed that your browsers are complaining about the security of this site as we don't yet use https. Also, as this site is run by amateurs, it has no professional cyber security team ensuring the server is secure 24/7 or monitoring for data breaches.

Both of these factors increase the risk that the details you use on this site may be hacked and made available on the black market.

I'd like you all to think about the passwords you use on this site, and what would happen if someone knew your email and password. If you use your password or one like it at your bank for instance, that information could be used to access your account and to steal your identity.

Please make sure you use a password on this site that you do not use elsewhere for anything important.

I'm bringing this up as I'm planning to spend some time this offseason bringing the site up to date with the GDPR rules and modern security standards. That may involve some down-time for the server, but should ultimately reduce the risk of data breaches. However, I'd advise everyone to think about the password you use here and make sure that if it were to be exposed you wouldn't experience any serious problems.

BTW this has not been prompted by a data breach or attempted hack of the site, its just something that I need to improve for next season. However, if you were worried when you read this post because you thought there may have been a breach, that's probably a sign that you should change your password on this site and others to protect yourself from that sort of thing.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wandering Warrior

Re: Passwords and Security

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Thanks for that Mike it will be taken in.
I'm changing mine to Medlockewarriorgillfedderwormburnerwhiffykipper.
I don't think anybody will get that one!? :lol:
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Thanks Mike ????

I did mention it a while ago to you if you remember ????
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
BriH

Post by BriH »

My antivirus/spyware software alerted me to this a while back.

I'll change my password! Thanks Mike