Re: ZAK STAYS

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

bill.inger wrote:
old hooker wrote:
josie andrews wrote:I’m backing the club in helping Zak, he has a severe problem & has probably not had the proper help he needs.

I'm surprised how many 'holier than thou' people make comment on this site. You can't all, not all of you, be so puritanical that you can't want the best fullback in the game to have a chance of success at Wigan. O.K. the lad has a thirst, he's in his mid twenties, have you forgotten what that meant when you were there etc etc. Just because he's high profile it doesn't mean you have to crucify him. How many of us know someone who has served a sentence and is now fully re-habilitated.
If he were a brickie or a plasterer, would it matter if he was working on your
extension given his record. He's the best there is at what he does and Wigan can only do right by him.
I just hope this diatribe doesn't come back to bite me.
Yes I remember when I was young, I did not drink drive and put peoples lives at risk so dont insinuate it is normal or acceptable.And just for the record it will come back to bite you, watch this space.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

bill.inger wrote:
old hooker wrote:
josie andrews wrote:I’m backing the club in helping Zak, he has a severe problem & has probably not had the proper help he needs.

I'm surprised how many 'holier than thou' people make comment on this site. You can't all, not all of you, be so puritanical that you can't want the best fullback in the game to have a chance of success at Wigan. O.K. the lad has a thirst, he's in his mid twenties, have you forgotten what that meant when you were there etc etc. Just because he's high profile it doesn't mean you have to crucify him. How many of us know someone who has served a sentence and is now fully re-habilitated.
If he were a brickie or a plasterer, would it matter if he was working on your extension given his record. He's the best there is at what he does and Wigan can only do right by him.
I just hope this diatribe doesn't come back to bite me.
The only reason he is having this chance is because of his profile. Most normal people would lose their Job with his record.
Most business would not put troubled employees through rehab.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

bill.inger wrote:O.K. the lad has a thirst, he's in his mid twenties, have you forgotten what that meant when you were there etc etc. Just because he's high profile it doesn't mean you have to crucify him. .
Sorry Bill but this line is just all wrong, yes most of us like a good drink, but I've honestly never thought of driving afterwards, You just don't do it. I used to drive to City Lights every Saturday in Farnworth and never once though about driving home, even though the taxi cost a bomb and I needed to get the train back in the morning for my car.

He did it and should pay the penalty. No duty of care crap, he could have killed someone.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

First Try Tickle wrote:
bill.inger wrote:O.K. the lad has a thirst, he's in his mid twenties, have you forgotten what that meant when you were there etc etc. Just because he's high profile it doesn't mean you have to crucify him. .
Sorry Bill but this line is just all wrong, yes most of us like a good drink, but I've honestly never thought of driving afterwards, You just don't do it. I used to drive to City Lights every Saturday in Farnworth and never once though about driving home, even though the taxi cost a bomb and I needed to get the train back in the morning for my car.

He did it and should pay the penalty. No duty of care crap, he could have killed someone.
My thoughts exactly where is the duty of care for the lives he put at risk. Everytime you bow down to perpetual failures it validates their lifestyle and makes them less likely to change.

I just hope he is as good as he was before his ban everyone keeps telling us how he is the best fullback in the comp - and yes he was in 2017, he's been out for a year and clearly been "enjoying" himself so how long are people going to give him to find his form

Problem here is the rewards and compassion is always on the reforming characters.

You might say he deserves a second chance and yes everyone does but he's on his 5th 2nd chance? and what about escare? where is his reward for not needing the second chance? wheres the reward for the people who play by the rules?

The question i would ask is "is Hardaker that much better than Escare that you can afford to take the risk on him when he perpetually lets everyone who helps him down" and for me the answer is no.

Im not having it that Leeds or Cas didnt try and help Zak and we are the first ones that have ever come to his aid. He said in his interview with Carney this was his last chance, and he blew that before even picking up a ball
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

surely this lad as got to be on his final final warning regarding his conduct , i hope the young players of today dnt look up to him. Very talented Rugby league player but a total idiot in his private life
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

Zak Hardaker warned Wigan Warriors move is 'final opportunity' after drugs ban

But club chairman Ian Lenagan warned that Hardaker cannot afford any more controversies.

Lenagan said: “This wasn’t a decision that we made lightly. We recognise the serious nature of this incident and our choice in offering this opportunity should not be seen as condoning his actions in any way.

“We had extensive conversations with Zak and his family before making our offer.

“We encountered a man who, after eight months of reflection, openly admits that he has made a series of significantly poor decisions over the past few years.

“Crucially, we also saw someone who recognises that this is the final opportunity to focus on delivering the achievements his talent should generate.

“I have had the experiences in business and sport of offering contrite individuals the final opportunity and environment to learn from their mistakes with some notable successes and occasional failures.

I have just read again his interview with Carney and it is clear it didnt mean anything. What Lenagan said was also very hollow and ment nothing at all

mike morley

Post by mike morley »

This is the last chance saloon for Zak. Hope he realises he has to change o his career is as good as over.
SJ

Post by SJ »

Mike wrote:I think we really need him and now its too late for a Plan B. I'd also say that this suggests Lockers is on his way.
"We really NEED him"( my emphasis) No we don't We need a class full back I wouldn't argue but we don't need to take a risk with HIM.How you correlate keeping him on board SUGGESTS Lockers is on his way escapes me Modal logic isn't my strong point but I'm pretty much OK with common sense or so I believe
cumbria_warrior

Post by cumbria_warrior »

I think we need to park this and get behind Zak. Decision has been made and he is a wigan player so lets support him
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

SJ wrote:
Mike wrote:I think we really need him and now its too late for a Plan B. I'd also say that this suggests Lockers is on his way.
"We really NEED him"( my emphasis) No we don't We need a class full back I wouldn't argue but we don't need to take a risk with HIM.How you correlate keeping him on board SUGGESTS Lockers is on his way escapes me Modal logic isn't my strong point but I'm pretty much OK with common sense or so I believe
I'd say the club believe that there are no class full backs available at the right budget at this point, so they really need him.

I suggested that because we are losing Sam and if we also lost lockers that would be two of the most influential players in the side departing at once. Therefore we might want a more experienced recruit like hardaker to join even more. However, i looks like Lockers is staying now, so IMO that gives us a bit more room to discard hardaker, which I believe we should have done.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐