Wigan Warriors approached to stage home game on the road... but no plans ‘at this stage’

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ian.birchall

Re: Wigan Warriors approached to stage home game on the road... but...

Post by ian.birchall »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:I wonder if the plan is to finalise the WCC, and then offer that as a season ticket game, while we play a “home” game in Barcelona. If so, I think I could just about live with that.
But the match in Barcelona is a home game for Cats not us?
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:I wonder if the plan is to finalise the WCC, and then offer that as a season ticket game, while we play a “home” game in Barcelona. If so, I think I could just about live with that.
Playing away twice (in effect) to what looks likely to be a strong Les Cats side doesn't strike me as a good idea from a sporting point of view.

I also do not see how Wigan will benefit financially. It's not a Wigan initiative so and I don't see the club being able to raise a lot of revenue by trying to sell the concept.

Assuming the game in question is our Wigan home game then the club that benefits is Les Cats. They get to use their "away" fixture to Wigan to promote the game and their club in that region and they will still get the usual strong Wigan away support at their ground for the normal Les Cats v Wigan fixture. Wigan fans face an extra trip abroad or miss a fixture season ticket holders have paid for.

If it happens and IL tries and sells it in the way you have suggested above I doubt it will go down well as I am sure most will say they want both WCC and the Les Cats home fixture at home which seems quite fair to me.

I just don't see how Wigan or its fans benefit from the loss of a home game. If Les Cats want to move their Wigan home fixture to Barcelona I have no problem with that.

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

ian.birchall wrote:
The suggestion is Les Cats do not want to move their home game v Wigan away from their home ground as they make a lot of money on that fixture.

So instead we move our home game v them to Barcelona. We play them away twice in effect.

One of the rumored reasons I have seen as to why IL may like the idea is Les Cats at Wigan is a poorly attended game so no great loss financially to Wigan. Not sure how that works because I am pretty sure the lease of the DW is not based number of home games. Maybe the overheads are always pretty similar regardless of how many away fans turn up but if that is it, we may as well play every game except for Saints and Wire away.
jao 711

Post by jao 711 »

DaveO wrote:
ian.birchall wrote:
The suggestion is Les Cats do not want to move their home game v Wigan away from their home ground as they make a lot of money on that fixture.

So instead we move our home game v them to Barcelona. We play them away twice in effect.

One of the rumored reasons I have seen as to why IL may like the idea is Les Cats at Wigan is a poorly attended game so no great loss financially to Wigan. Not sure how that works because I am pretty sure the lease of the DW is not based number of home games. Maybe the overheads are always pretty similar regardless of how many away fans turn up but if that is it, we may as well play every game except for Saints and Wire away.
. Where was it said that it will be OUR home game at NOU CAMP? Not my understanding and Barca have said they will help with support from their supporters club the Socios.Another point ,flights to Barcelona are much easier to get.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

jao 711 wrote:
DaveO wrote:
ian.birchall wrote: But the match in Barcelona is a home game for Cats not us?

. Where was it said that it will be OUR home game at NOU CAMP? Not my understanding and Barca have said they will help with support from their supporters club the Socios.Another point ,flights to Barcelona are much easier to get.
It's not been said officially, it's just rumour but this thread is discussing the fact (not rumour) that Wigan have been approached to take a game on the road. It may or may not be the Wigan home game v Les Cats they were asked about but there are reasons why Les Cats would prefer us to move our home game than they theirs.

As I said if Les Cats move their home game, I have no problem with that.
Mike1993

Post by Mike1993 »

Catalans according to rumours say they still want to have their home game against Wigan. If we end up playing Catalans in Barcelona and Perpignan does no one else think this may impact the attendance of the Perpignan game? I'm only working on an assumption here and my own opinion but if the fixtures are announced and we are playing Catalans in Barcelona and Perpignan surely more Wigan fans will choose to watch the game that's in Barcelona? I for one would.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Is it not a possibility that we could play Catalan away twice because of the "loop fixtures"
If so then we could play once in Perpignan and once in Barcelona and not lose a home game.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I have absolutely no problem if Catalan give a home game to go to Barcelona I do have a lot issues if Wigan do soother simply isn't any benefit to Wigan giving up a home game, like the Aus and London trips there simply isn't a great untapped market of wigan fans, no doubt a smattering but no more than that not one thats worth giving up the revenue at the DW for .

Its as DaveO says if thats the case we may as well give up home advantage for all games bar wire and saints..its madness to keep on doing something that simply isn't working, concentrate on trying to bring those who've stopped coming back into the ground.

It doesn't bother me where the WCC is played, honestly I can see that being played in Australia which is fine by me.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

fozzieskem wrote:
It doesn't bother me where the WCC is played, honestly I can see that being played in Australia which is fine by me.
It's an opportunity to see some of the best players in the world in your own back-yard, though. I was delighted to be able to see Jimmy Maloney play for the Sharks at the DW. And even more delighted when we beat them!

But ideally the WCC should alternate.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

moto748 wrote:
fozzieskem wrote:
It's an opportunity to see some of the best players in the world in your own back-yard, though. I was delighted to be able to see Jimmy Maloney play for the Sharks at the DW. And even more delighted when we beat them!

But ideally the WCC should alternate.
Completely agree with you it should alternate each year,it’s only fair,the reason I said I’m not bothered where it’s played is simple, it needs to be played something in recent times the Australians are becoming reluctant to do.