O'Loughlin insists he's staying at Wigan in 2019 despite Leeds speculation

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

O'Loughlin insists he's staying at Wigan in 2019 despite Leeds speculation

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan and England captain Sean O’Loughlin has insisted that he is close to signing a new deal that will keep him with the Warriors in 2019.

O’Loughlin’s future became unclear when it emerged that Leeds were interested in a sensational swoop for the 35-year-old.

The player himself admitted it was nice to receive interest from elsewhere – but says he will be remaining with his hometown club under Adrian Lam next season.

When asked if he would be staying, he said: “Yeah. Hopefully that’s all sorted out now.

“When you come out of contract you’re always hopeful there’s a bit of interest – I think it was just one of those things, though. Hopefully it’ll be all signed and done soon.”

When asked how far down the line discussions got with Leeds, O’Loughlin said: “I don’t really want to go into it too much.. I’ll just leave that if I can.”

http://www.totalrl.com/oloughlin-insist ... eculation/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Re: O’Loughlin insists he’s staying at Wigan in 2019 despite Leeds speculation

Post by fozzieskem »

Good news but reading that it certainly wasn’t idle speculation about the move but glad it’s looking sorted now
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

I hope fans will enjoy his 25 minutes per game for half of the season, Salary cap space well spent, Wigan fans rejoice while Leeds breathe a sigh of relief and the rest of Super League wets themselves laughing
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

medlocke wrote:I hope fans will enjoy his 25 minutes per game for half of the season, Salary cap space well spent, Wigan fans rejoice while Leeds breathe a sigh of relief and the rest of Super League wets themselves laughing
I don’t think anyone from the rest of SL was laughing when SOL helped us win another GF!

I do however understand where you are coming from and for me it’s about value for money, currently SOL is just justifying his salary in my opinion!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

That switch for the match winning try was a move I will never tire of watching. Every which way he deserves to stay. He played a lot of important games at the start of the year when it was vital we stayed near the top of the league after all the negativity going into the season (I was convinced Wane would be gone by Easter). And then he did another great job guiding us home in the 2 big games.
bertina

Post by bertina »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Great news.
+1 ????????????
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

I'm torn on this one.

Does he play enough to warrant the cap space? Well taking the season as a whole, no he doesn't.

However, the way in which the SL is structured, he doesn't need to. All he has to do is turn up on the big occasion and make an impact, which, by and large he does.

However, even on these occasions you could see the cracks in 2018.

I'm not sure we should have him as a player in 2019. But then again some of his plays in the GF were priceless.........

Difficult.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Wintergreen wrote:I'm torn on this one.

Does he play enough to warrant the cap space? Well taking the season as a whole, no he doesn't.

However, the way in which the SL is structured, he doesn't need to. All he has to do is turn up on the big occasion and make an impact, which, by and large he does.

However, even on these occasions you could see the cracks in 2018.

I'm not sure we should have him as a player in 2019. But then again some of his plays in the GF were priceless.........

Difficult.
Be careful, you'll have the Dumbrian thinking he's not the only elephant in the room!?!:lol:
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Flash wrote:
medlocke wrote:I hope fans will enjoy his 25 minutes per game for half of the season, Salary cap space well spent, Wigan fans rejoice while Leeds breathe a sigh of relief and the rest of Super League wets themselves laughing
And the mask slips. Not that there was ever much of a mask anyway...
Not far off the truth though is it, Add up the minutes he has played all season and I bet it comes to no more than 6 or 7 games in total, He might have had 16 SL appearances but some of those where as little as 15 minutes, is that really worth the cap space