O'Loughlin insists he's staying at Wigan in 2019 despite Leeds speculation

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
moto748

Re: O'Loughlin insists he's staying at Wigan in 2019 despite Leeds speculation

Post by moto748 »

morley pie eater wrote:
Sean O’Loughlin
I see Lockers has adopted the Irish Gaelic spelling of his name :lol:
The things people will do to get an EU passport these days...
thegimble

Re: O’Loughlin insists he’s staying at Wigan in 2019 despite Leeds speculation

Post by thegimble »

Primrose 'n' Blue wrote:
Flash wrote:
medlocke wrote:Not far off the truth though is it, Add up the minutes he has played all season and I bet it comes to no more than 6 or 7 games in total, He might have had 16 SL appearances but some of those where as little as 15 minutes, is that really worth the cap space
Mate, that's utter garbage. He played 15 minutes once. I'll repeat that: once! That was against Wakey when he got injured. Now unless you wanted him to carry on playing injured to satisfy your misguided perception, I'm not exactly sure what your objection is there? The rest of the time he plays more minutes than our props (or Amor who you're advocating we buy for that matter!) and he played 20 games this season

You've been advocating he hangs up his boots for a couple seasons now so should we take a look at what we would have lost had he followed your advice?

Last year we would have been in the middle 8s and battling relegation without him. How can I be so sure? Because we literally could not win without him (unless you count Swinton in the cup). We lost EVERY game when he didn't play! What's more, some of the ones we won when he played we only scored when he was in the field! :o On a personal level he won Player's player of the year and chairman's award, won international honors including being made captain against strong opposition, made the dream team and played in 70% of our games. Even opposition fans have almost universally concluded that England were 'an O'Loughlin' away from being World Champions! In other words.. even at international level we have no one who can do what he does. Just think about that for a moment...

Now on to last season. He played 20 games and in all but one was instrumental in our performances. Notably Saints in the playoffs and Catalans away where he more or less won that game singlehandedly! Would we have finished second without his involvement, particularly early season? Probably not. Would we have won the title from a lower position? Debatable. Either way, what we do know is he helped deliver another trophy and, once again under his captaincy, we are champions! On a personal level he is once again Dream team, or to put it another way, there is still no one even close in SL in his position, he's again on international duty as captain and... and let's make no bones about this... finishes the season as our most successful club captain in SL history having played a major part in, not only getting us there, but in the final itself!

Yeah, let's get the guy pensioned off. I mean, what have the Romans ever done for us? :lol:
What a load of auld shite
Which part a point by point rebuttal would be nice rather than the garbage reply.
bertina

Post by bertina »

Flash wrote:
medlocke wrote:
Flash wrote: And the mask slips. Not that there was ever much of a mask anyway...
Not far off the truth though is it, Add up the minutes he has played all season and I bet it comes to no more than 6 or 7 games in total, He might have had 16 SL appearances but some of those where as little as 15 minutes, is that really worth the cap space
Mate, that's utter garbage. He played 15 minutes once. I'll repeat that: once! That was against Wakey when he got injured. Now unless you wanted him to carry on playing injured to satisfy your misguided perception, I'm not exactly sure what your objection is there? The rest of the time he plays more minutes than our props (or Amor who you're advocating we buy for that matter!) and he played 20 games this season

You've been advocating he hangs up his boots for a couple seasons now so should we take a look at what we would have lost had he followed your advice?

Last year we would have been in the middle 8s and battling relegation without him. How can I be so sure? Because we literally could not win without him (unless you count Swinton in the cup). We lost EVERY game when he didn't play! What's more, some of the ones we won when he played we only scored when he was in the field! :o On a personal level he won Player's player of the year and chairman's award, won international honors including being made captain against strong opposition, made the dream team and played in 70% of our games. Even opposition fans have almost universally concluded that England were 'an O'Loughlin' away from being World Champions! In other words.. even at international level we have no one who can do what he does. Just think about that for a moment...

Now on to last season. He played 20 games and in all but one was instrumental in our performances. Notably Saints in the playoffs and Catalans away where he more or less won that game singlehandedly! Would we have finished second without his involvement, particularly early season? Probably not. Would we have won the title from a lower position? Debatable. Either way, what we do know is he helped deliver another trophy and, once again under his captaincy, we are champions! On a personal level he is once again Dream team, or to put it another way, there is still no one even close in SL in his position, he's again on international duty as captain and... and let's make no bones about this... finishes the season as our most successful club captain in SL history having played a major part in, not only getting us there, but in the final itself!

Yeah, let's get the guy pensioned off. I mean, what have the Romans ever done for us? :lol:
Well said.!!!
His importance to this team for years cannot be overstated. Great role model on the field, great role model off it.
With all the personnel changes taking place at the club during the off season his experience will be a massive help to all incoming staff. I am sure Adrian Lam will be delighted to hear that Lockers is staying.
And as a fan for donkeys years, so am I. !!!!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Flash wrote:Mate, that's utter garbage. He played 15 minutes once. I'll repeat that: once! That was against Wakey when he got injured. Now unless you wanted him to carry on playing injured to satisfy your misguided perception, I'm not exactly sure what your objection is there? The rest of the time he plays more minutes than our props (or Amor who you're advocating we buy for that matter!) and he played 20 games this season

I can't disagree with any of that. Given who has left the club even if he only plays 20 minutes a game and only plays 20 games or similar in 2019 I think his contribution will be as significant as ever. If anything I think it will be even more important and we will have to rely on him more and need him to keep fit.

I think it is crucial that he is staying and his contribution to the team went a long way to making it the champion side it has turned out to be in 2018. The fact the wheels seem to come off when he is off the pitch (or if you prefer we play our best rugby when he is on it...) is not his fault.

The club has got another year to plan his succession and another year to find some other players to step up and lead the side.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Flash wrote:I wouldn't hold your breath mate.. Check out the username. To be fair, a Wire fan would be an expert in auld shite so perhaps we should take notice? :lol:
I might be wrong but I get the feeling it is not a Wire fan!! :eh:
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
Flash wrote:I wouldn't hold your breath mate.. Check out the username. To be fair, a Wire fan would be an expert in auld shite so perhaps we should take notice? :lol:
Me neither. Got my hunch though.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
A wormburner maybe?
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wandering Warrior wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
A wormburner maybe?
Whoever it is, he’s been banned!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wandering Warrior

:thumbsupemoji::)
Wandering Warrior

Did they fix you up nicely with a new syrup in Barrow, erm........Medlocke I think it is today?
:lol: