SEASON REVIEW: WIGAN WARRIORS

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

SEASON REVIEW: WIGAN WARRIORS

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors said goodbye to some of their greats; Sam Tomkins, John Bateman and most significantly Shaun Wane, in a fitting way, bringing the Super League title back home. They finished the season strongly, beating Warrington Wolves in the Grand Final.

Best Moment: Shaun Wane winning the Grand Final is a sporting moment to behold. In his 30 years with the club, he won many titles but leaving as Champions must have been the sweetest of all.

Best Win (St Helens 10-30 Wigan Warriors): A derby victory in the Super 8s, making their great rivals wait yet another week for the League Leaders' Shield was a key turning point in the season. They dominated Saints in every department and took home the two points, and the momentum leading into the playoffs.

Best Players (John Bateman): Leading the league in offloads, Bateman solidified his growing reputation prior to a move to the NRL for 2019. He’ll leave for Canberra Raiders in the new year and will be leaving a large hole to fill for new coach, Adrian Lam.

Record Breakers: Thomas Leuluai made his 250th appearance for his club, Dan Sarginson made his 100th appearance for Wigan and George Williams made his 150thappearance in Cherry and White.

Worst Loss (Wigan Warriors 0-23 Warrington Wolves): At a testing time with the departure of Shaun Wane confirmed, the Warriors were trounced by their Lancashire rivals.

Best Quote: “I love the players so much, I’m ecstatic I’ve played my bit,” – Shaun Wane on the relationship between him and his players.

2019 Outlook: A season of transition is ahead for the Champions, with new coach Adrian Lam having to navigate his way through losing Sam Tomkins, John Bateman and the influence of coach Shaun Wane. If any club can achieve this though, it is Wigan and their immaculate production line. Expect a challenge come October.

http://www.rugby-league.com/article/539 ... n-warriors
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan