How Do We Compare To Other Clubs Since IFL Took Over

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

How Do We Compare To Other Clubs Since IFL Took Over

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Wigan 4 GF wins, 2 CC wins, 1 WCC

Leeds - 6 GF wins, 2 CC wins, 2 WCC

Saints - 1 GF win, 1 CC win,

Warrington - 0 GF wins, 3 CC wins,

Castleford - 0 GF wins, 0 CC wins,

Hull - 0 GF wins, 2 CC wins

Catalan - 0 GF wins, 1 CC win

I don't think he is doing to bad you think that prior to his tenure we hadn't won a Grand Final since 1998, a CC Final Since 2002 and a WCC Final since 1994.

I think the guy deserves some credit. We may not agree with everything he does but his MO is definitely effective.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Nezza Faz

Re: How Do We Compare To Other Clubs Since IFL Took Over

Post by Nezza Faz »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:Wigan 4 GF wins, 2 CC wins, 1 WCC

Leeds - 6 GF wins, 2 CC wins, 2 WCC

Saints - 1 GF win, 1 CC win,

Warrington - 0 GF wins, 3 CC wins,

Castleford - 0 GF wins, 0 CC wins,

Hull - 0 GF wins, 2 CC wins

Catalan - 0 GF wins, 1 CC win

I don't think he is doing to bad you think that prior to his tenure we hadn't won a Grand Final since 1998, a CC Final Since 2002 and a WCC Final since 1994.

I think the guy deserves some credit. We may not agree with everything he does but his MO is definitely effective.

And Leeds, as comparison, is a big city club, in terms of population, business and sponsors. Wigan is just a small town team in reality, that has to fight for every recognition these days.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Sadly, the *only* big-city club these days. More's the pity.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

moto748 wrote:Sadly, the *only* big-city club these days. More's the pity.
Hull????
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Hull is *a* city, I've wouldn't say it was a Big City, anymore than, say, Cambridge or Coventry are.
pedro

Post by pedro »

similar size to Newcastle so not small at all

jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Wakefields a city
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Moto, I understand your point about Leeds being bigger and having some advantages. This shouldn't be over-stated though....is it really the reason Leeds have achieved more?

I'd say, particularly in the salary cap era, that the crucial factor is the management of the club. In the period you quote, Leeds did best because they had a flying start, a good academy etc, and a strong fan-base.

With similar advantages, Wigan were trailing until Leneghan came. His success is down to good management, I'm sure, but other factors have been his money, Wane, Bitcon to name three.

Over the next 2 or 3 years, it seems he'll put in less money and we have Lam/Edwards and Paul Johnson. Is this a formula for success (regardless of whether Wigan is a "small town" or not)? Maybe only time will tell.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
pedro

Post by pedro »

Id say it helps as its a lot bigger so can be more attractive for incoming players. I feel that where weve been beaten over them times with imports, as home grown weve always been better than most if not all
moto748

Post by moto748 »

To be clear, I wasn't even talking particularly about the Rhinos. I was simply saying that the profile of the game would be a lot higher if there were successful 'big-city' clubs in Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham, London... I know you can say there *are* Manchester clubs, but they make no pretence of being emblematic to the city in the way that City and United are.