Super League to bring in golden point - and other rule changes for 2019

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Super League to bring in golden point - and other rule changes for 2019

Post by josie andrews »

Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Re: Super League to bring in golden point - and other rule...

Post by medlocke »

So Sam reckons nobody wants to see a draw, I'm sure every fan of a losing side in a close game would rather see a draw than the loss, Why are we constantly trying to be the NRL, The NRL is not Shangrila ffs.

Glad they are doing away with the really awful free play and lowering substitutions though
moto748

Post by moto748 »

The irony here is, as far as I can tell, most Aussie fans don't like golden point, and wish they had the draws like we do.

Just seems a craven and back-handed way of making our rules more like the NRL.

All in favour of the other changes, though.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I don’t like Golden Point either! You will get the usual suspects playing for penalties! The games shouldn’t be allowed to be won from kicks IMO maybe a try but not from kicks.
Plus I don’t see the point! Five minutes each way & if it’s still a draw then it stands!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
moto748

Post by moto748 »

- penalties
+ field goals.

GP generally *does* give a result, but I don't think it's desirable.
jobo

Post by jobo »

Golden point is rubbish. The other changes look pretty good though.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Sadly playing for penalties has crept into the game but that down to rules making it to easy to get one.

for example i understand why contact with the head is a penalty but the Ref should be making a judgement and not just penalising every one, player who for example get their ear grazed but then fall down acting like they have been taken out should be penalised and taken off for the head assesment.

i support any player who plays for England but i didn't half smile when lomax faked a head injury then complained that he had to be taken off for an assessment.

Golden point should be Golden Try, that would make it entertaining.

Smith and Tomkins at Catalan, how many games will they win with golden point ;)
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Golden Point is dreadful. How many draws were there last season 4/5?
When scores are level players go for the drop goal from 10 mins out. We could end up with drop goals for going on 20 mins with the GP.
It will turn a good intense game into an utter farce.

I do like the Free Play as taking advantage can make a great difference to the game.

Time limits on scrums and GLDO's are good. Will it be a penalty if the time is exceeded?

Nothing new here just cut and paste from the NRL.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Watching the GP in the NRL, penalties won't be the problem here. It's not penalties that will win the match, because refs become ultra cautious in awarding them during GP, aware of the potential controversy that would be caused, with an incorrect decision. Especially in a high profile game.

In fact, penalties that may normally be awarded in the first 80, are turned a blind eye to in GP (90% of the time !).

All the other new points to be introduced by Rob Elstone are good moves, especially the 'shot clocks' for scrums and drop outs; will definitely speed up the game and make it more continuous, whilst cutting out the tactical time wasting that goes on.

I also think it should be a Try that decides GP, it would make it more interesting and cut out the drop goal shuttles ! And in GP, I think 2 pts for the winner, but also 1 pt for the losing team ?

Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Ted (above):- Time limits on scrums and GLDO's are good. Will it be a penalty if the time is exceeded?

Yeah Ted, if it's the same as the NRL, a penalty will be given to the non offending side.

Opposite view though Ted, I'm happy to see the end of the Free Play. It tends to make the game look silly and contrived. No objection to a normal 'advantage' rule continuing.