Jack becomes PDRL Ambassador

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Jack becomes PDRL Ambassador

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors Physical Disability Rugby League team are delighted to announce that Jack Johnson (Joining Jack) has agreed to become the team’s ambassador.

Jack and the Johnson family came along to the Warriors Disability Rugby League training session on Friday evening to meet the team and see the players in action with Jack and his brother James even scoring a few tries themselves!

Jack said, “I am really excited to be an ambassador for Wigan Warriors disability rugby league team. I think it’s a brilliant idea to give people living with disabilities like me the opportunity to play rugby. I really enjoyed watching the team train on Friday night. All the players made me feel really welcome and I can’t wait to support them during the season.”

Jack has a condition known as Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy which is one of the most common fatal genetic disorders to affect children around the world.

Approximately one in every 3,500 boys worldwide is afflicted with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy with 20,000 new cases reported each year in the developed world. The Joining Jack campaign aims to help raise funds and awareness in funding the development of research into a treatment or a cure for Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy.

Community Innovation Manager, Anthony Atherton said:

“The coaching staff are doing a fantastic job with our PDRL Team. It links closely to the foundation’s core objective of providing high quality rugby league experiences for everyone within our community. The coaches and management team we now have in place are doing just that, with a new season around the corner, we are looking towards playing opportunities and working closely with the Rugby Football League to make it happen!”

Head coach Scott Burns added:

“Having Jack around the team is fantastic! I am so pleased that he agreed to come onboard as an ambassador (along with his assistant, James!) The team were so excited to have Jack at the last training session and were delighted when he joined in with the game! Personally, seeing Jack and the lads all taking part and enjoying rugby league regardless of ability is what we are all about and as well as having fun we are getting more competitive by the day!”

The PDRL team train every other Friday, 7-8pm At Central Park. The next session is on Friday 23rd November, for more details please contact: disabilityrugby@wiganwarriors.com htt ... LhlQJy3.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan