Lam wants 'flamboyant' rugby at Wigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
TrueBlueWarrior

Re: Lam wants 'flamboyant' rugby at Wigan

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

AncientWarrior wrote:Flamboyant - tending to attract attention because of exuberance, confidence and stylishness (Oxford English Dictionary) That’ll do for me!!
Castleford had this for the past 2 years, what did they win?
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
AncientWarrior wrote:Flamboyant - tending to attract attention because of exuberance, confidence and stylishness (Oxford English Dictionary) That’ll do for me!!
Nothing, but at least their fans got entertained and received value for money, It is nice to win trophies, but what's the point if you have driven fans away with a dull boring brand of rugby all season
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

You're only as good as your last game!
Not bothered what the entertainment is like so long as there's pots coming in!!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
bill.inger

Post by bill.inger »

Last night, I watched the highlights of the finals from 1988 to 1995 on utube.(infinitely better than Come Dancing). THAT was flamboyant rugby.
TrueBlueWarrior

medlocke wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
Nothing, but at least their fans got entertained and received value for money, It is nice to win trophies, but what's the point if you have driven fans away with a dull boring brand of rugby all season
Did you go to the GF? Probably not but anyway, it seemed like the only driving Wigan’s fans did was to Old Trafford to see their team win another trophy, meanwhile back in Castleford!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
TrueBlueWarrior

Wandering Warrior wrote:You're only as good as your last game!
Common sense is so underrated!!
TrueBlueWarrior

bill.inger wrote:Last night, I watched the highlights of the finals from 1988 to 1995 on utube.(infinitely better than Come Dancing). THAT was flamboyant rugby.
Hence the name ‘Highlights’!!
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
Truth is though you have to at least try to marry the two, be entertaining and win trophies along the way, and while I did enjoy the style of play Wigan had last season it seems it didn't grab the lost numbers from the DW,which was a shame for the most part it wasn't at all bad to watch not like the previous two seasons.

If its true it that winning only mattered then the DW would be packed to the rafters when you think of the trail of success there's been at Wigan in the Wane era its a shame more people did get to see it.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

I love how there is complaints before the season even starts.
:lol:
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
TrueBlueWarrior

fozzieskem wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
Truth is though you have to at least try to marry the two, be entertaining and win trophies along the way, and while I did enjoy the style of play Wigan had last season it seems it didn't grab the lost numbers from the DW,which was a shame for the most part it wasn't at all bad to watch not like the previous two seasons.

If its true it that winning only mattered then the DW would be packed to the rafters when you think of the trail of success there's been at Wigan in the Wane era its a shame more people did get to see it.
What RL ground in England is ever packed to the rafters?

The point I am making is great defence wins trophies at any level and any sport. Please understand that I am all for entertaining/flamboyant RL but if it jeopardises winning trophies then I don't want it.

Totally agree though that a combination of great defence to allow flamboyant RL is the way forward but you have to earn that right and I hope PL brings that.