Lam wants 'flamboyant' rugby at Wigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
jaws1

Re: Lam wants 'flamboyant' rugby at Wigan

Post by jaws1 »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
fozzieskem wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote: Common sense is so underrated!!
Truth is though you have to at least try to marry the two, be entertaining and win trophies along the way, and while I did enjoy the style of play Wigan had last season it seems it didn't grab the lost numbers from the DW,which was a shame for the most part it wasn't at all bad to watch not like the previous two seasons.

If its true it that winning only mattered then the DW would be packed to the rafters when you think of the trail of success there's been at Wigan in the Wane era its a shame more people did get to see it.
What RL ground in England is ever packed to the rafters?

The point I am making is great defence wins trophies at any level and any sport. Please understand that I am all for entertaining/flamboyant RL but if it jeopardises winning trophies then I don't want it.

Totally agree though that a combination of great defence to allow flamboyant RL is the way forward but you have to earn that right and I hope PL brings that.
Defences is killing the game
its not entertaining anymore
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

jaws1 wrote: Defences is killing the game
I think this is the biggest thing against Rugby League at the moment. Players are bigger, fitter and faster and just don't miss many tackles. This means hardly any breaks are made and the only way to score is to put a move on near the opponents line. Then the easiest way to get to the line is from a penalty so everyone is obsessed by that.

Its also the same in the NRL and even in Union. Defence is so tight that even the all blacks can't break down defences.

I think we might need to reduce the players on the pitch and try and make some space. Fans want exiting rugby and that means length of the field tries. At the moment its stop start and then after not getting a chance, a kick for the corner.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

First Try Tickle wrote:
I think this is the biggest thing against Rugby League at the moment. Players are bigger, fitter and faster and just don't miss many tackles. This means hardly any breaks are made and the only way to score is to put a move on near the opponents line. Then the easiest way to get to the line is from a penalty so everyone is obsessed by that.

Its also the same in the NRL and even in Union. Defence is so tight that even the all blacks can't break down defences.

I think we might need to reduce the players on the pitch and try and make some space. Fans want exiting rugby and that means length of the field tries. At the moment its stop start and then after not getting a chance, a kick for the corner.
I seem to remember a similar thing being done before.... :wink:
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

First Try Tickle wrote:

Maybe get rid of Loose Forwards :cool:
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

According to you we've not had a loose forward for 15 years so how does that work?
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
SJ

Post by SJ »

AncientWarrior wrote:Flamboyant - tending to attract attention because of exuberance, confidence and stylishness (Oxford English Dictionary) That’ll do for me!!
Me to but you'l will have some on here complaining about semantics (looking in Dictionary) best to stick to platitudes I think it's safer biz chuck IT about you :lol:
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

Go get Widdop NOW