Wigan Warriors' new facility will be a 'game-changer'

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Warriors' new facility will be a 'game-changer'

Post by josie andrews »

Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Green Machine

Re: Wigan Warriors' new facility will be a 'game-changer'

Post by Green Machine »

Will the under 19s still be playing at Orrell?
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Green Machine wrote:Will the under 19s still be playing at Orrell?
Orrell will be sold, it's been talked about for the last couple of years. The entire operation will move to the arena, and I expect I.L. to finally get his wish for a rugby league museum to also be housed there.
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

Does anyone know what the plans are for Central Park ?

I know its still basically an old school, but it has a 3G pitch which get used on a regular basis.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

I wonder if this move eventually leads to a new 1st Team stadium, sponsored by Red Bull.

With the new owners at Latics, it poses the question if they eventually want sole rights at the DW, how much finance may become available, especially with Warriors having a long term lease there ?
yonmon

Post by yonmon »

Correct.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Nezza Faz wrote:I wonder if this move eventually leads to a new 1st Team stadium, sponsored by Red Bull.

With the new owners at Latics, it poses the question if they eventually want sole rights at the DW, how much finance may become available, especially with Warriors having a long term lease there ?
hopefully they would have to buy everyone out including us and we could ask the council for that money as it was meant for us, do robin park up nicely
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

pedro wrote:
Nezza Faz wrote:I wonder if this move eventually leads to a new 1st Team stadium, sponsored by Red Bull.

hopefully they would have to buy everyone out including us and we could ask the council for that money as it was meant for us, do robin park up nicely
What is the capacity of Robin Park
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

pedro wrote:

They don't want us to leave the DW if you read the 125 page document it states we are an asset to maintain the income of the stadium .As to the lease we have only a couple of years to go with this.The new owners want us to renew in writing .We only had a 25 year lease and that's nearly up new owners want us to renew IL has always stated that we had a good deal in renting the stadium cant see him looking to build our own stadium. On the other hand now we have the sports stadium we have the facilities to open our own museum /bar before the games at DW so generate income from there.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

jaws1 wrote:
pedro wrote:

They don't want us to leave the DW if you read the 125 page document it states we are an asset to maintain the income of the stadium .As to the lease we have only a couple of years to go with this.The new owners want us to renew in writing .We only had a 25 year lease and that's nearly up new owners want us to renew IL has always stated that we had a good deal in renting the stadium cant see him looking to build our own stadium. On the other hand now we have the sports stadium we have the facilities to open our own museum /bar before the games at DW so generate income from there.

Possibly so Jaws (and Meds) the current stadium is only suitable for Reserve (sic !) and Academy games.

What I'm getting at is potential investment being able to raise funds to develop this facility into a future home stadium.

Incidentally, I understood the current lease to be 50 years, not 25 ? If that is the case, there is good value in the purchase price of such a lease. And I have heard (despite media noises) that the new owners do want control, to be able to pursue their ideal of Premiership football, to invest their millions in the stadium and its infrastructure, which is becoming tired, for all kinds of other events, and to solve the pitch situation once and for all.

There is also gathering talk of greater investment arising through "Red Bull", with the potential of long term naming rights into this development. Other sponsors are possible too (Wigan Council perhaps may have an interest ?) but certainly sizeable funding would arise from the sale of the Central Park facility, and also the Orrell set up.

I'd say the movement behind the scenes, towards owning a stadium is gradually gaining some momentum.