Sammut signs

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Sammut signs

Post by josie andrews »

Barney841 wrote:Rather have Sammut at 7 than Powell
Powell is at 9! Tommy is 7.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

sheepsteeth wrote:I have to say I’m really disappointed with this signing.

I’m trying to convince myself that maybe being around better players will improve him.
I’m not convinced by his defence and wonder what Lam has been seeing to think we need a “Maverick” playmaker.

I also have in my head the words of either Maurice Lindsay of Dave Whelan saying something like “Adrian Lam recommended we sign him as he stated he was one of the most talented players he’s played against”. They were talking about Dennis Moran.

The only other thing making me feel better is if Sammut does flop we can go back to the 6,7,9 that won us the grand final.

Finally can I just say I hope with every fibre of my being that I’m wrong and he’s a belting signing. Let’s wait and see.
Dennis Moran was a cracking player before Wigan though he topped the try scoring charts 2 years and that was playing for London

Problem is Wigan took an off the cuff opportunist try scoring running half and tried to get him to play like lam. They need to not make the same mistake with sammut if you sign a maverick at least let him be a maverick don’t hold him back

One thing you cant do with a player with deficiencies in their game is play them away from their strengths to fit a square peg in a round hole. Feka was a good example he was an absolute wrecking ball - yes he could only last 10 mins but he was devastating during those spells. When they trimmed him down they got an extra 10mins but instead of 10mins of devastation you got 20 mins of average

Sammut needs to be allowed to be sammut
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

southportcdm wrote:Like many, I'm disappointed with this signing but I hope I'm wrong. He is quick, will take on the line, is unpredictable and a good goal kicker. His defence is poor and I'd imagine that Waney would never play him but Lammy has said that we'll be more entertaining and Jarrod is certainly that. He may turn out to be a good value signing and I wish him well. Perhaps the most interesting aspect of this signing is who will miss out the most and I think that Morgan won't be happy with Jarrod's arrival. Morgan will now only be considered as a back up fullback not also as a possible replacement half back as he was at times last season. At 7, Jarrod offers everything that Morgan does plus more although his tackling is inferior.
From squad numbers Morgan is first pick fullback and its haddaker who needs to earn/find his place.

Morgan has not let us down onces and if he is played as cover again the club have made a massive failing.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
captinjack

Post by captinjack »

SAMMUT, SAMMUT. Fecking shite. A Championships players, whose previous club,having been promoted to the Super League letc him go. That speaks volumes. We go and sign him. We will be the the laughing stock of Super League.
If this is the attempt of getting more fans to the DW to watch games, I think Rads and IL have made it more likely that less fans will come when they hear about the Club doing things on the cheap. Nice one boys. What f**k up.
captinjack

Post by captinjack »

SAMMUT, SAMMUT. Fecking shite. A Championships players, whose previous club,having been promoted to the Super League letc him go. That speaks volumes. We go and sign him. We will be the the laughing stock of Super League.
If this is the attempt of getting more fans to the DW to watch games, I think Rads and IL have made it more likely that less fans will come when they hear about the Club doing things on the cheap. Nice one boys. What f**k up!!!????
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

josie andrews wrote:
But Tommy’s best position is 9!!!
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I'll wait till he's played a few games in a Wigan shirt before I start jumping up and down. Have to say, in the one game I watched him for 80 mins last season, the Million Pound Game, he was excellent, and did look a real organiser; looked the best player on the pitch by a mile. This is clearly more or less a stop-gap measure until 2020, and could yet work out fine.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

medlocke wrote:
Barney841 wrote:It’s keeps being said that Leeds have signed big names, Warrington also. They haven’t got a better squad than us though, that’s where I think our money goes to keep the strength in depth. Someone tell me another team with 4 quality wingers?
Also what happens if these NRL star signings don't fit in and get home sick or they just turn out to be shite
There is always a chance that big signings may be top drawer or there is the chance they may be shite.With Sammut at least we know from the start he is shite, but of course he is cheap :lol:
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

old hooker wrote:
medlocke wrote:
Barney841 wrote:It’s keeps being said that Leeds have signed big names, Warrington also. They haven’t got a better squad than us though, that’s where I think our money goes to keep the strength in depth. Someone tell me another team with 4 quality wingers?
Also what happens if these NRL star signings don't fit in and get home sick or they just turn out to be shite
There is always a chance that big signings may be top drawer or there is the chance they may be shite.With Sammut at least we know from the start he is shite, but of course he is cheap :lol:
I'm disapointed, I was waiting for you to give IL and Radz both barrels :lol: at least he won't get homesick
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Barney841 wrote:
josie andrews wrote:
But Tommy’s best position is 9!!!
But he prefers 7 & Powell prefers 9 ????
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan