Sammut signs

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Sammut signs

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

medlocke wrote:
cow yeds wrote:Couldn't tackle a packed lunch. That's why he's been around the lower divisions for the past four years.
So what, not every player has to be a superstar tackler
I agree here, however we've removed barnacle bateman from the right hand side defence so we are going to be vulnerable down that side if we don't get a good 2nd row and centre covering the tackles Sammut misses.

Not sure who will play right centre next year but Sarge and Sammut would be a bad combo
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
pedro

Post by pedro »

medlocke wrote:
pedro wrote:you have to be a good tackler to win things
If true then please explain Martin Offiah
what about him? he could defend.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

danny maguire???
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

widdenoldboy wrote:IIRC Cowie, Hall and McGinty weren't seen a big signings but they all improved into very good players but in a very good team. TBH Hall was probably the least well known and had the tougher position to fill but he made it.
Add Henderson Gill to that list signed from Rochdale.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Sarge's "D" has improved a lot over the season, was very good in the Play Offs and was excellent in the GF.

Certainly he's picked up this part of his game, so not the weakness of previous years.
PF Warrior

Post by PF Warrior »

All I can think is that we have had some signings who were not considered to be Wigan class who have gone on to be Favourites of the Wigan fans. Let's give the lad a chance he has not even pulled the Wigan shirt on for a game.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Firestarter wrote:
danny maguire???
he can tackle....ask Pat Richards
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

pedro wrote:
medlocke wrote:
If true then please explain Martin Offiah
He couldn't tackle a roast dinner and he's famous for it
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

medlocke wrote:
pedro wrote:
medlocke wrote:If true then please explain Martin Offiah
He couldn't tackle a roast dinner and he's famous for it
Not "the" best tackler maybe but he could defend. His pace always helped with that and was like having an extra man on the edge. He also pulled off enough important tackles to be fair that I never saw any aspect of his game as weak. Plenty good tacklers in RL have had weakness in defending because of lack of pace or poor reading.
Just for example Powel tackling is a massive plus when he's in the middle. When he was asked to defend out wide last season he was caught a little flat footed.
I always think Offiah is happy enough to play the can't tackle story character and he ran fast because he was scared card but I saw enough of him to realise he was not lacking in courage.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

lucky 13, I couldn't agree more. Our worst defensive displays last year were with Powell#7 and Woods#6. It was far too easy for the opposing team to get outside them because of their lack of pace. Put Powell back in the middle as a#9 and he's a different player.