Sammut signs

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Southern Softy

Re: Sammut signs

Post by Southern Softy »

I find the signing incomprehensible but am prepared to see if he can make the grade as a Wigan player.
What I would quibble with is the comparison with players from lower leagues who have been a success. Hankinson, who looked very promising before his injury, is a player like Flower who is moving up into SL and may well make the leap in quality. Sammut is a player who was in SL and moved downwards into the Championship because that was his proper level as he aged. It seems unlikely that at 31 he will improve back to a former level to become a SL player.
Good luck to him if he does and it will have been an astute piece of business but is it really credible that this is the way that Wigan are looking to maintain and improve their quality and success?
01tentpeg

Post by 01tentpeg »

garbage is what a lot of people also put on here always complaining if we had a squad full of internationals people would complain seem to be winning with the squad we have got every credit to the boys.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:
DaveO wrote:
Wandering Warrior wrote:.,..anyway and we have signed write offs before and they've been top drawer!
Go on then name the write offs who have turned it top drawer. I can't think of one who fits that bill. Back under Mo Lindsay we signed a few unfashionable players who improved at Wigan like Billy McGinty but write offs they weren't and neither were they lower league backs aged 31.

This another signing like Mathers or Pryce.

I think in the modern era Wigan have taken a punt on a few write offs who the club should have realised were past their sell by dates.

Matty Bowen, buggered legs/Ancient but preformed some magici still love watching his games/highlights on youtube.
Bowen wasn't a write off and he had more class in his little finger than Summut. Former state of origin player and twice NRL top try scorer.

If we'd signed the equivalent this time i.e. a 31 year old former SoO half back I would not complain.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

medlocke wrote:
pedro wrote:
medlocke wrote:If true then please explain Martin Offiah
what about him? he could defend.
He couldn't tackle a roast dinner and he's famous for it
If you can find it watch the 91/92 Wigan v Cas CC final. Pulled off a fantastic try saving tackle and saved another what looked to be certain try. Radlinski he wasn't but the idea he couldn't defend is a bit of a myth
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

medlocke wrote:
DaveO wrote:
medlocke wrote:Also what happens if these NRL star signings don't fit in and get home sick or they just turn out to be shite
On that basis we'd never sign another overseas player. A totally ludicrous argument.
How is it ludicrous when it has happened so many times

Homesick - Greg Eastwood, Anthony Tupou, Ben Barba, FPN, James Segeyaro, Tyrone Roberts, I'm sure there's others

As for NRL players that have come over here and been shite the list is a large one, No need to mention any names, We've had many at Wigan.

P.S I never mentioned anything about not signing any overseas players, So get your facts right for once unlike in your multi paragraphed bitter Brexit rants

:thum:
If that is not what you meant then your post was not only ludicrous but totally pointless. You may as well ask what if they get knocked down by a bus. No one has a crystal ball to predict if a player will be homesick or not live up to their billing so why even say it? Unless you were suggesting this was a reason not to bother in case that's how things may go, what's your point? Hindsight comes with 20/20 vision?

There's plenty of overseas players who have had successful SL careers at Wigan and elsewhere.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

DaveO wrote:
medlocke wrote:
DaveO wrote: On that basis we'd never sign another overseas player. A totally ludicrous argument.
How is it ludicrous when it has happened so many times

Homesick - Greg Eastwood, Anthony Tupou, Ben Barba, FPN, James Segeyaro, Tyrone Roberts, I'm sure there's others

As for NRL players that have come over here and been shite the list is a large one, No need to mention any names, We've had many at Wigan.

P.S I never mentioned anything about not signing any overseas players, So get your facts right for once unlike in your multi paragraphed bitter Brexit rants

If that is not what you meant then your post was not only ludicrous but totally pointless. You may as well ask what if they get knocked down by a bus. No one has a crystal ball to predict if a player will be homesick or not live up to their billing so why even say it? Unless you were suggesting this was a reason not to bother in case that's how things may go, what's your point? Hindsight comes with 20/20 vision?

There's plenty of overseas players who have had successful SL careers at Wigan and elsewhere.
My original comment was based on Leeds and Wire spending big money and there is no guarantee that they will succeed with these players, nothing more than that, why do yourself and others have to make everything into a massive drama when somebody just makes a passing comment
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

medlocke wrote:
DaveO wrote:
medlocke wrote:How is it ludicrous when it has happened so many times

My original comment was based on Leeds and Wire spending big money and there is no guarantee that they will succeed with these players, nothing more than that, why do yourself and others have to make everything into a massive drama when somebody just makes a passing comment
Meds asked a question..."What happens if.."
I think that's perfectly valid. Especially as not fitting in, getting homesick, and being sh*te are all real possibilities based on star signings of various teams including our own.

The answer to his question may be that, for specific reasons, you don't believe any of these outcomes would apply in particular cases. However, to label his comments as "ludicrous" and "totally pointless" is, er, ludicrous and totally pointless?

It seems strange to me that a forum which thrives on airing different opinions should be moderated by someone who seems to think that all opinions other than his own are invalid?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
AncientWarrior

Post by AncientWarrior »

I’m really looking forward to seeing him play. From what I have seen of him, he has the ability to unlock defenses. He was the third highest try scorer at London and kicked 114 goals last season. I know that people will say that he was only playing in the Championship but how much is it easier to score there than Super League?

It could be argued that with better quality players around him at Wigan he will be even more effective. Time alone will tell.
A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success.

ian b

Post by ian b »

AncientWarrior wrote:I’m really looking forward to seeing him play. From what I have seen of him, he has the ability to unlock defenses. He was the third highest try scorer at London and kicked 114 goals last season. I know that people will say that he was only playing in the Championship but how much is it easier to score there than Super League?

It could be argued that with better quality players around him at Wigan he will be even more effective. Time alone will tell.
always thought he was a decent player and organiser which should be good for George
Wes

Post by Wes »

morley pie eater wrote:
medlocke wrote:
DaveO wrote: If that is not what you meant then your post was not only ludicrous but totally pointless. You may as well ask what if they get knocked down by a bus. No one has a crystal ball to predict if a player will be homesick or not live up to their billing so why even say it? Unless you were suggesting this was a reason not to bother in case that's how things may go, what's your point? Hindsight comes with 20/20 vision?

Meds asked a question..."What happens if.."
I think that's perfectly valid. Especially as not fitting in, getting homesick, and being sh*te are all real possibilities based on star signings of various teams including our own.

The answer to his question may be that, for specific reasons, you don't believe any of these outcomes would apply in particular cases. However, to label his comments as "ludicrous" and "totally pointless" is, er, ludicrous and totally pointless?

It seems strange to me that a forum which thrives on airing different opinions should be moderated by someone who seems to think that all opinions other than his own are invalid?
good post.

+1