Sammut signs

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
pedro

Re: Sammut signs

Post by pedro »

did saints post an end of season loss or gain? Did they spend big again?
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

DaveO wrote:
morley pie eater wrote: Meds asked a question..."What happens if.."
I think that's perfectly valid.
Why is it valid? He was asking what if something went wrong. Well what if nothing goes wrong? How about what if they get injured stepping off the plane?

There is no point asking "what if they don't fit in" or whatever. Presumably the clubs sign overseas players because before they actually sign them, they have decided they will fit in and will improve the team. Sometimes things don't work out but you only ever know that with hindsight. Warrington found this out with Roberts but its not stopped them signing Austin and nor should it.

So when I see people suggesting things might not work out for whatever reason with an overseas signing my head hits the desk. Often such posts are made to justify the club making a signing like Summut when other clubs are signing proven NRL players but apparently that isn't what Meds meant.

Wigan don't seem to have much of a scouting network. I think the last proven NRL player we signed directly was FPN. We have on the other hand signed several overseas players from other UK clubs such as Lauaki, Tuaiti, Isa and Green.

So my concern is we are not even in the mix for players like Austin and instead have become reduced to signing Sammut because this time we were not able to find any better half backs we can nick off other SL clubs.
You say it isn't valid because it may or may not happen yet you have posted hundreds of anti Brexit comments along the same lines in the off topic section, Is it only valid when you post things Dave or is that a ludicrous thought
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

IL has about 13 companies and just 1 is worth 300 million so its a drop in the ocean for him, Wigan is valued at £3 million .
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

ddtftf wrote:IL has about 13 companies and just 1 is worth 300 million so its a drop in the ocean for him, Wigan is valued at £3 million .
Not according to this.

https://companycheck.co.uk/director/907 ... AN/summary
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

DaveO wrote:
morley pie eater wrote: Meds asked a question..."What happens if.."
I think that's perfectly valid.
Why is it valid? He was asking what if something went wrong. Well what if nothing goes wrong? How about what if they get injured stepping off the plane?

There is no point asking "what if they don't fit in" or whatever. Presumably the clubs sign overseas players because before they actually sign them, they have decided they will fit in and will improve the team. Sometimes things don't work out but you only ever know that with hindsight. Warrington found this out with Roberts but its not stopped them signing Austin and nor should it.

So when I see people suggesting things might not work out for whatever reason with an overseas signing my head hits the desk. Often such posts are made to justify the club making a signing like Summut when other clubs are signing proven NRL players but apparently that isn't what Meds meant.

Wigan don't seem to have much of a scouting network. I think the last proven NRL player we signed directly was FPN. We have on the other hand signed several overseas players from other UK clubs such as Lauaki, Tuaiti, Isa and Green.

So my concern is we are not even in the mix for players like Austin and instead have become reduced to signing Sammut because this time we were not able to find any better half backs we can nick off other SL clubs.
What Meds said is:
Also what happens if these NRL star signings don't fit in and get home sick or they just turn out to be shite
Surely a club exercising "due diligence" is going to ask questions along these lines? None of Meds' "what ifs" are hypothetical, as they've happened many times over the years to various (all?) clubs. [Leeds were my favourites: Slammin' Sam Backo, Eric Grothe, and especially John Gallagher of Neil Cowie fame.]

Why should a fan on a fans' forum not be entitled to ask the same questions without being told it's "ludicrous and totally pointless"? Don't you think your response lowers the tone of debate, discourages others from asking questions or expressing opinions different from yours? Is this the kind of response to be expected from someone who is an admin of the forum?

I'd have thought that it would have been perfectly possible for you to disagree with Meds without attacking his right to post as he did. I often disagree with him, but find him one of the most readable and entertaining posters. He certainly makes a change from the many doom-and-gloom posters around - you know, the ones who always know better than the coach, particularly in a GF-winning season like 2018?

PS We all do typos, but "Summut" is a classic, I think we should stick with it
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Have just watched the England Academy beat the Australian schoolboys. Harry Smith is a real talent. If Sammut helps him develop, we will spoilt for choice in the halves pretty. In any case, Sammut is exactly what we need - he gives us a threat on the right close to the line, and can kick goals. A maverick is exactly what our attack has been crying out for. Going to be fun seeing him run off our pack.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:Have just watched the England Academy beat the Australian schoolboys. Harry Smith is a real talent. If Sammut helps him develop, we will spoilt for choice in the halves pretty. In any case, Sammut is exactly what we need - he gives us a threat on the right close to the line, and can kick goals. A maverick is exactly what our attack has been crying out for. Going to be fun seeing him run off our pack.
He looked really good, controlled the game and stopped a few of the Aussies in their tracks with good hits. Also impressed with Loose forward Smithies so we aren't looking to bad. The game is well worth watching on You Tube.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

These are limited companies he has but private companies do not list at Company House