Sammut signs

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
moto748

Re: Sammut signs

Post by moto748 »

No straw damn us wrote:Wigan didn't lose a game in 2018 with Williams at 6. Leuluai at 7 and Powell at 9.
I think it was 3 out of 5 losses when Williams was out injured.

I would have preferred to look for a younger half with a bit of experience, someone like Jacob Miller.

I don't like signing average over 30's players, but can see why they've done it. Sammut is experienced, kicks goals and has a good running game. Can he be a controlling halfback? I'm not really sure.

As many of you on here will know Harry Smith is a real top prospect but is only 18 years of age so it's probably too early for him. Josh Woods doesn't have the pace and Jake Shorrocks has had two or three years badly affected by injuries, so basically we needed cover. Time will tell on Sammut, he wouldn't have been my choice, I just hope he proves me and a lot on here wrong, he'll get my support and I hope he doesn't become this coming seasons scapegoat.
Can't argue with any of that.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

medlocke wrote:
morley pie eater wrote:Only recently it was widely touted that Shaun Edwards would be consulted on signings and direction, even in the year of Lam's reign.

Could anyone who is firmly convinced that Sammut is not good enough, please explain how they see Giz's role in this? It seems to me that there are 3 possibilities:

1. He wasn't consulted or his mobile battery was dead,
2. He agreed with signing Sammut,
3. He disagreed, but Rads, Lam, Leneghan overruled him.
Or

4. The Edwards signing was a big ploy to sell season tickets and right at the last minute it will be announced that he isn't coming and Lam will be staying
:conf: :doz: :eusa4:
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I think it makes a lot of sense for us. We need a kicker and someone who can cause damage on the right. He gives us both. With Hardaker, escare, Williams, Tommy, Lockers and Powell, we should be well covered, and can wait and see which of Shorrocks, Smith and Woods develops. We now have a coach who knows pivot play inside out, so am very excited to see how he brings the best out of the squad. He reminds me a bit of Deacon’s signing, in that he makes perfect sense at a particular time and place for us. I lost count of the number of times we failed to turn good field position into points. Sammut can fix that.

My one concern with this squad is whether we have replaced Bateman. Though maybe Hamlin, Paisley or Wells May step up.

Finally,the great thing about our club is that that we produce such fabulous juniors, we can be sure that one of the fringe players will make a breakthrough in 2019. World Club Challenge, a trip to Barcelona, no home games on the road, and a set of fixtures set in stone. So looking forward to seeing how the Champions perform...
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

IIRC Cowie, Hall and McGinty weren't seen a big signings but they all improved into very good players but in a very good team. TBH Hall was probably the least well known and had the tougher position to fill but he made it.
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

I know there are police cuts but this is taking the piss???? If Lammy thinks it's a good signing I'm all for it and will give him a chance.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

morley pie eater wrote:Only recently it was widely touted that Shaun Edwards would be consulted on signings and direction, even in the year of Lam's reign.

Could anyone who is firmly convinced that Sammut is not good enough, please explain how they see Giz's role in this? It seems to me that there are 3 possibilities:

1. He wasn't consulted or his mobile battery was dead,
2. He agreed with signing Sammut,
3. He disagreed, but Rads, Lam, Leneghan overruled him.
I don't think there will be much change in signings if and when Edwards arrives,to me he will be expected to carry on what Wane started, after all if he could do it then why not Edwards and I suspect Edwards will see that as a challenge to be honest.
cow yeds

Post by cow yeds »

Couldn't tackle a packed lunch. That's why he's been around the lower divisions for the past four years.

medlocke

Post by medlocke »

cow yeds wrote:Couldn't tackle a packed lunch. That's why he's been around the lower divisions for the past four years.
So what, not every player has to be a superstar tackler
pedro

Post by pedro »

you have to be a good tackler to win things
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

pedro wrote:you have to be a good tackler to win things
If true then please explain Martin Offiah