Dear Mr Lenegan,

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
jao711

Re: Dear Mr Lenegan,

Post by jao711 »

Flash wrote:This post simply doesn't make sense. So you stopped going 6 years ago? That was at the end of the Maguire tenure; a time universally regarded as the period that new life was breathed into the club. 2012 (presumably the year you actually didn't renew) was on the back of that! Moreover 2012 itself was some of the best rugby Wigan has played in the last decade and we were head and shoulders the best, most attractive side in the comp. 2013, we win the double with Josh Charnley scoring 43 tries!

By all means exercise your right not to go but don't make excuses. You don't go because, despite your user name, you aren't one of the faithful. You say you were considering a season ticket. Let's face it, that's just lip service so you can have a moan. Tell me; what has changed since you were 'considering' this? Lam is still here and promising a more flamboyant rugby style. Edwards is still coming next year. All the players are still the same ones as you were exited about going seeing under the new regimes.

All that has changed is we've signed an EXTRA player. One who fits the philosophy of 'entertaining rugby' you claim to advocate!

This is classic 'moaning Wigan fan". Decide not to go then look for reasons to legitimise that decision.

Mate, you're part of the problem, not the solution.
. Well said.
jao711

Post by jao711 »

No straw damn us wrote:
Flash wrote:This post simply doesn't make sense. So you stopped going 6 years ago? That was at the end of the Maguire tenure; a time universally regarded as the period that new life was breathed into the club. 2012 (presumably the year you actually didn't renew) was on the back of that! Moreover 2012 itself was some of the best rugby Wigan has played in the last decade and we were head and shoulders the best, most attractive side in the comp. 2013, we win the double with Josh Charnley scoring 43 tries!

By all means exercise your right not to go but don't make excuses. You don't go because, despite your user name, you aren't one of the faithful. You say you were considering a season ticket. Let's face it, that's just lip service so you can have a moan. Tell me; what has changed since you were 'considering' this? Lam is still here and promising a more flamboyant rugby style. Edwards is still coming next year. All the players are still the same ones as you were exited about going seeing under the new regimes.

All that has changed is we've signed an EXTRA player. One who fits the philosophy of 'entertaining rugby' you claim to advocate!

This is classic 'moaning Wigan fan". Decide not to go then look for reasons to legitimise that decision.

Mate, you're part of the problem, not the solution.
Now that is an excellent post :eusa2: :eusa2:
. Absolutely, straight to the point.Well said. (Sorry about the double post Josie,I thought it had failed with the server error).
ian b

Post by ian b »

Wiganer Ted wrote:Don't agree ESF.
We have just won the GF and regularly reach finals winning most if not all. I think we've signed players who are quality and will be excellent for us. Greenwood immediately comes to mind. Who knows how Hardaker will go but if it works well he will be a very good signing indeed.

The losses over the past few seasons are unsustainable for a club like Wigan and IL has every right to control costs. I do think we've a squad that can match any other in SL I do feel we'll win a trophy or two in 2019.
spot on
Woody1989

Post by Woody1989 »

East Stand Faithful wrote:For many years I had a season ticket in the East Stand with my sons. About 6 years ago I stopped renewing it on the basis of declining standards of the Wigan team and Super League in general. I understand the club has lost money in recent seasons but am dismayed to learn you are cutting the club budget as you believe we can remain competitive on a lower outlay.I was contemplating renewing my season ticket given the exciting appointments of Adrian Lam and Shaun Edwards. However, we have lost numerous international standard players and replaced them with inferior and uninspiring signings.I believe Wigan should lead and not follow the pack in becoming mediocre. Until that happens count me out.

Yours,

East Stand Unfaithful
This is potentially the biggest load of cr*p I've heard in my life. Declining standards of the Wigan team? You are aware that in that 6 year time frame Wigan have won 3 grand finals, a Challenge Cup and a World Club Challenge? As well as being beaten finalists in 3 finals? Not to mention only falling outside the top 2 twice in 2013 and 2017 (both years that we managed to win trophies anyway). When you consider that 6 years prior to this period we were almost relegated (which I'm presuming you were a season ticket holder for?) I'm struggling to see your logic.

As to your point about not signing international players. We won everything that I just mentioned with a combination of bargain basememt signings and the best youth system in the country. I'd love a big signing or two but the fact is that the under 19s have won 9 of the last 11 finals and a number of those players are now regulars in the Wigan first team and are some of our best players. You talk about leading the way, we do lead the way. Whilst Wire and Saints waste their money on players like Chris Sandow and Ben Barba (both of whom just used their clubs as a route back to the NRL) we focussed on retaining players like Williams and Gildart and it paid off bigtime.

The next few seasons will be interesting, but I'm excited to see what Lam and Edwards bring to the table. I'm also excited to see how the current crop of young players develop. If this isn't good enough for you, I'm sure Wire or Saints fans would welcome you with open arms.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Woody1989 wrote:
East Stand Faithful wrote:For many years I had a season ticket in the East Stand with my sons. About 6 years ago I stopped renewing it on the basis of declining standards of the Wigan team and Super League in general. I understand the club has lost money in recent seasons but am dismayed to learn you are cutting the club budget as you believe we can remain competitive on a lower outlay.I was contemplating renewing my season ticket given the exciting appointments of Adrian Lam and Shaun Edwards. However, we have lost numerous international standard players and replaced them with inferior and uninspiring signings.I believe Wigan should lead and not follow the pack in becoming mediocre. Until that happens count me out.

Yours,

East Stand Unfaithful
This is potentially the biggest load of cr*p I've heard in my life. Declining standards of the Wigan team? You are aware that in that 6 year time frame Wigan have won 3 grand finals, a Challenge Cup and a World Club Challenge? As well as being beaten finalists in 3 finals? Not to mention only falling outside the top 2 twice in 2013 and 2017 (both years that we managed to win trophies anyway). When you consider that 6 years prior to this period we were almost relegated (which I'm presuming you were a season ticket holder for?) I'm struggling to see your logic.

As to your point about not signing international players. We won everything that I just mentioned with a combination of bargain basememt signings and the best youth system in the country. I'd love a big signing or two but the fact is that the under 19s have won 9 of the last 11 finals and a number of those players are now regulars in the Wigan first team and are some of our best players. You talk about leading the way, we do lead the way. Whilst Wire and Saints waste their money on players like Chris Sandow and Ben Barba (both of whom just used their clubs as a route back to the NRL) we focussed on retaining players like Williams and Gildart and it paid off bigtime.

The next few seasons will be interesting, but I'm excited to see what Lam and Edwards bring to the table. I'm also excited to see how the current crop of young players develop. If this isn't good enough for you, I'm sure Wire or Saints fans would welcome you with open arms.
But the teams have lacked panache
East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

Woody1989 wrote:

Yours,

East Stand Unfaithful

You're probably one of those Grade 1 fans who follow the team blindly, super duper.

With you in charge I've no doubt Rugby league will be an amateur sport in a few years
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

East Stand Faithful wrote:
Woody1989 wrote:

Yours,

East Stand Unfaithful

You're probably one of those Grade 1 fans who follow the team blindly, super duper.

With you in charge I've no doubt Rugby league will be an amateur sport in a few years
Good Post
Woody1989

Post by Woody1989 »

medlocke wrote:
East Stand Faithful wrote:
Woody1989 wrote: This is potentially the biggest load of cr*p I've heard in my life. Declining standards of the Wigan team? You are aware that in that 6 year time frame Wigan have won 3 grand finals, a Challenge Cup and a World Club Challenge? As well as being beaten finalists in 3 finals? Not to mention only falling outside the top 2 twice in 2013 and 2017 (both years that we managed to win trophies anyway). When you consider that 6 years prior to this period we were almost relegated (which I'm presuming you were a season ticket holder for?) I'm struggling to see your logic.

Good Post
Yes brilliant post, very well reasoned, addressing all the points I made thoroughly.
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

We don’t half have some strange fans! Only Wigan fans could throw their toys out the pram and say they’re not going anymore after winning a Grand Final. Yes we’ve lost two players we’d have loved to have kept (Bateman and Tomkins with Sutton being comfortably replaceable) and Lenagan is clearly cutting his cloth but there is so much to be positive about.

The likes of Greenwood and Hardaker are top players (if a little risky in Zaks case), we’ve took a couple of pints on Championship players that could pay off, we’ve got a promise of a more exciting brand of rugby to look forward to, a WCC against the Roosters, a trip to Barcelona and one of the most exciting crops of junior players we’ve had in years.

It could be worse.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

NICKYKISS wrote:We don’t half have some strange fans! Only Wigan fans could throw their toys out the pram and say they’re not going anymore after winning a Grand Final. Yes we’ve lost two players we’d have loved to have kept (Bateman and Tomkins with Sutton being comfortably replaceable) and Lenagan is clearly cutting his cloth but there is so much to be positive about.

The likes of Greenwood and Hardaker are top players (if a little risky in Zaks case), we’ve took a couple of pints on Championship players that could pay off, we’ve got a promise of a more exciting brand of rugby to look forward to, a WCC against the Roosters, a trip to Barcelona and one of the most exciting crops of junior players we’ve had in years.

It could be worse.
Read the post again, he hasnt been going for 6 years
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.